Defensive Carry banner

"You won't take my guns!!!"

8K views 98 replies 50 participants last post by  PEF 
#1 ·
Clearly, a lot of folks are worried that the federal govt. is going to pass new gun regulations.

This may indeed happen. But one thing that will NOT happen, is the confiscation of any firearms.

If a new Assault-Weapons Ban is enacted, it will of course not affect presently owned guns.

And unless you live in one of the few states that have any gun registration (like NY & Massachusetts), the govt. doesn't know which guns you own, so they can't tell you to turn in any guns that they don't know you have.

The only way the govt. could find out who owns newly-banned weapons, would be by forcing ALL gun dealers and FFLs around the nation to hand in ALL of their transaction records. And that simply will not happen.

So yes, it is possible that the days of being able to buy 10+ round magazines may be over soon. The days of being able to buy AR-15s and AK-47s may be coming to end.

But no one is gonna come for the guns you already own.

You may no longer be able to buy accesories, parts, and ammo for your newly-banned gun, but you will keep the gun.

....just my two cents.

See less See more
#3 ·
Tell that to the Brits, Germans, Aussies, Canadians, and any number of nationalities over the last 70 years.

They may not come knocking on your door, but your choice will be "Turn them in or learn to like prison if you get caught with them".

Unless you are Obama posting here, you can't know that. Everything that you said that they can't do, well, they can. The US Govt has waaaaay too much power over the citizens now. If they [Govt as a whole] want a thing done, it gets done. Morals, scruples, and good judgement be damned.

#4 ·
Who is going to confiscate the guns? Anyone think a congressmen is going to do it. Not hardly.

Are the local cops going to do it. I doubt it. They want to go home to their wives and kids at night. They certainly aren't going to put up with door to door searches of folks homes day after day. Are they going to give up all their guns except their duty weapons. Nope.

Reactions: NY27
#5 ·
it happened with Katrina,in NO, and I am a LEO. I doubt some of my fellow officers wouldn't participate in a gun grab,if they were ordered to.

#7 ·
But one thing that will NOT happen, is the confiscation of any firearms.
Nahh, that will come after a few more of the other laws put in place haven't worked after a while. Don't sweat it.

Reactions: wishyouwell
#10 ·
The quote below is from an active member of the United States Army on Facebook that I know. Partly edited due to his cursing, you'll see that in blue. Don't believe there aren't misinformed/misguided members of the military who won't storm your doors to take your guns.

"Civilians should NOT be able to own firearms. Fudge the right to bear arms! Everytime I check CNN, I hear of some retard who went on a killing spree. I think at this point, the military should declare Marshall law and we should go house to house, recovering every instrument of death. Just saying."

Reactions: SIGguy229
#12 ·
hopefully, that isn't the mentality of those I knew when I was Ad. And I think confiscation would lead to revolution

#11 ·
So, the government "offers" to buy back your guns first. Then they "demand" you turn them in. Then the "confiscation" begins. Of course during all this the Obama regime does what it does best, enacts rules and regulations shutting down arms manufacturers and ammo manufacturers. Pretty soon, they begin offering "rewards" for turning in your anti-patriotic neighbors that refuse to hand their weapons over. They are coming for your guns and ultimately you. You can pretend it's not going to happen and keep saying "that will never happen here"....but it's coming. I suggest you get your hands on some weapons that don't have a paper trail...that's my plan.

#15 ·
History tells us that is incorrect.

Several states, my former state of Connecticut being one, passed "assault weapon" bans. A finite amount of time was provided to get rid of any gun not meeting the new restrictions (all related to cosmetics, of course), after which the possessor of such weapons was liable for felony prosecution. There was NO "grandfathering" of weapons except for active LE. So while there was no direct government confiscation, there was no legal means to continue possession, either.

#18 ·
That's why I said if.....

I also don't see congress passing a new AWB. Way too many congressmen would be voting themselves right out of office.

If anything does happen it will most likely be an executive order. and if i had to guess it would be directing the FBI to deny ncic checks on 'assault weapons' or a new batfe regulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

#22 ·
The only thing indicated on a NCIC check is if it is a long gun or handgun. In Texas those who have their CHL's aren't required to undergo a NCIC check so that wouldn't work so well here.

#19 ·
Tax the guns. Congress can tax to incentivize certain behavior. The behavior would be to not possess firearms. New law passes with Federal buy-back of firearms. If you choose not to participate in the buy back, you pay a tax.

"According to the Government, even if Congress lacks the power to direct individuals to buy insurance [sell firearms in their possession], the only effect of the individual mandate is to raise taxes on those who do not do so, and thus the law may be upheld as a tax."

It's a strained read, but who would have thought the Affordable Care Act would have been upheld by the individual mandate being construed as a tax instead of a "penalty?"

So, 2014 - You decide not to participate in the Federal Arms Compensation Act (to avoid the takings argument), that's fine, you don't have to. You just pay a $2,500 yearly tax on every firearm you possess. Oh, and if you don't report and pay the tax, that's tax evasion, and you go to jail. Yes, you can still possess firearms, and the Federal government is not infringing that right. You're just going to jail for tax evasion.

Anybody concerned yet?

#27 · (Edited)
Way, way too many people who responsibly own guns vote. They may ban "assault weapons", limit mag capacity, and require mental health certificates to soothe the bi-coastal minority in this country, but no one has the political will to disarm law abiding voters.

Cliff notes: Be responsible, vote.

#29 ·
Who is to say that the community waits till they get to the house. What if the neighborhood simply starts taking them out or shots at them when they enter the neighborhood. SWAT teams are not designed to operate against a whole block or two, three of resistance.

Once word got out that the confiscation was going on it wouldn't take long to organize resistance. Besides, SWAT and other LEO's have families. It wouldn't take long to put them in jeapordy, and change some minds about how bad they wanted to confiscate other folks guns.

#30 ·
Wolf,I respect your opinion, but do you think your neighborhood would run/scare off a SWAT team? Once the neighborhood starts shooting, you think the team won't?that they run away? That the neighbors won't?

#31 ·
I am suggesting that if there was an all out effort to confiscate guns, there would be an all out war. There are alot more people with guns than there are SWAT members. Simple numbers of attrition would lend itself in the communities favor rather than the police force.

For instance in our community, there are 100 officers for about 37k residents. The numbers for the county are less than 200 officers for 93k people.

Would you run, leave your property and your neighbors if someone tired to invade it? That is what it would come down to. Some would, some wouldn't. Most of the neighbors I had when I lived in the city would stand their ground. Now that I am in the county, I suspect that most here would as well. It would be a disaster.

#36 ·
Our guns are simply not going anywhere

I don't see anyone taking anyone's firearms at all.

What we are witnessing is a lot of hype created by the media, anchors, politicians, professionals, etc. to appear relevant, that's all.

Quite frankly everyone has the right to vent their frustration, what has happened recently to some American families is more than most of us guys can take without going on a rampage, guaranteed.:aargh4:

We, firearm aficionados and professionals, there's no doubt in my mind, we are the types that like to be prepared for more than just gun violence, whether it's a hurricane, a tornado, floods, fire, etc. most of us have a plan.
We are the ones who collect electric generator, fire extinguishers, hiking equipment, guns and ammo, emergency food, emergency everything.

Just the thought that we and our firearms are part of the problem is simply unacceptable.
With this logic, matches are the reason for forest fires and that's just not true.

I know this is going to sound too simplistic. But if all this people who engage innocent bystanders with violence, knew they were to face similar or mayor force themselves. They wouldn't even try.

None has mentioned that if any of those teachers had a firearm the story could have been different.

#38 ·
Clearly, a lot of folks are worried that the federal govt. is going to pass new gun regulations.

This may indeed happen. But one thing that will NOT happen, is the confiscation of any firearms.

If a new Assault-Weapons Ban is enacted, it will of course not affect presently owned guns.

And unless you live in one of the few states that have any gun registration (like NY & Massachusetts), the govt. doesn't know which guns you own, so they can't tell you to turn in any guns that they don't know you have.

The only way the govt. could find out who owns newly-banned weapons, would be by forcing ALL gun dealers and FFLs around the nation to hand in ALL of their transaction records. And that simply will not happen.

So yes, it is possible that the days of being able to buy 10+ round magazines may be over soon. The days of being able to buy AR-15s and AK-47s may be coming to end.

But no one is gonna come for the guns you already own.

You may no longer be able to buy accesories, parts, and ammo for your newly-banned gun, but you will keep the gun.

....just my two cents.
You sir, have absolutely no idea what will or will not happen if there is another AWB.

There are plenty of libs, spearheaded by Diane Feinstien looking to push for no grandfathering of currently owned weapons in the next AWB, if one is ever enacted.

Hopefully the Republican controlled House will not let that happen, but to say declaritively it will not, can not happen is asinine.

They may not send goons to your door in a house to house search, but if presently owned guns of the newly banned variety are not grandfathered, all they have to do wait and find you in possession of one at your local gun range, or anywhere else. Or if you happen to use if to defend yourself against a home invasion robbery, they'll get you then.

So, if they are not grandfathered, you may as well bury it and only dig it up for the apocolypse. You sure as heck won't be using it for any recreational shooting, or for self defense. Same thing for high capacity magazines if they are part of any so-called banned in which they are not grandfathered.

#41 ·
OK everyone...The emotional level in the responses here is reaching that of the Anti's, and logical thinking is going out the window, and some of you are skirting very close to forum rules. Hopefully after a good nights sleep you've all calmed down.

We had all better start thinking preemptive instead of reactive, and do everything we can to nip any sort of legislation getting passed. This would include contacting all congresspersons NOW in the likely event of an 11th hour bill being rocketed through the houses while most have gone home already.

Put away the tin foil hats, and start working on logical wording to write letters. None of us condone the actions of any of the homicidal nutbags, we all know that there was no way to prevent them, and is still near impossible to prevent any future events of the like.

Grow up, rise above the anti's level and act accordingly.

#42 ·
It is easy to to say, they will take my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands. It is another thing to stand by that statement. Sadly, I do not think Americans have the courage to revolt against a evil goverment. We have lost what the founding fathers had. You no longer hear the words Give me liberty or give me death. today we hear give me what ever the goverment will give me,( health care, food stamps, free money, free cell phones, you name it). The last election proved that Americans no longer want freedom, they want to be taken care of by the nanny state. I fear that freedom in this country is on it's last legs. You can say it won't happen here, but that is just wishful thinking. It can and it will, it is just a matter of time. Gun control is just the tip of the iceberg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.