The psychotic drug approach

This is a discussion on The psychotic drug approach within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The problem really is mental illness A primary solution to the problem is to have weapons locked up at all times if you have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The psychotic drug approach

The psychotic drug approach

The problem really is mental illness

A primary solution to the problem is to have weapons locked up at all times if you have a child with mental health issues.

In a safe, or at least full trigger locks which are difficult to remove.

This might have stopped the problem in CT

A bigger solution would be to add anyone being treated for psychotic condition to a registry that would be searchable on a background check. A doctors approval would be the only way for this person to get a weapon.

This wouldnt catch all, but would weed out a few.

The fact is.... Not everyone that wants a gun is fit to have one.

Our 2a rights are being threatened by actions of a few.

Maybe its time to cull out the few.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

2. Remove Ads

Ah ... "first they came for the mentally ill ... and I did not object", eh?

"Cull"? How about "aggressively financially support the necessary charities"? Like, aggressively, in the range of what we spend on beer or cable tv?
    Hondo70 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Ah ... "first they came for the mentally ill ... and I did not object", eh?

"Cull"? How about "aggressively financially support the necessary charities"? Like, aggressively, in the range of what we spend on beer or cable tv?
    Not take the mentally "away"....... Just do anything to make sure that they have no access to firearms.

These are the folks that are the usual culprits for killings.

....Whenever I still can

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Define "psychotic". A doctor's note to buy a firearm? Why not require a complete physical and mental examination for anyone wanting to purchase a weapon? Seems to be a slippery slope.
    accessbob and msgt/ret like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    Not take the mentally "away"....... Just do anything to make sure that they have no access to firearms.

These are the folks that are the usual culprits for killings.
    It's the fair, accurate, and affordable diagnosis that's the main limitation.

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Define "psychotic". A doctor's note to buy a firearm? Why not require a complete physical and mental examination for anyone wanting to purchase a weapon? Seems to be a slippery slope.
    Actually, a note from a doctor IF the person is ALREADY being treated for an anti social condition.

....Whenever I still can

I'd prefer a mandatory doctor-patient confidentiality, though.

VIP Member
    The problem really is mental illness

A primary solution to the problem is to have weapons locked up at all times if you have a child with mental health issues.

In a safe, or at least full trigger locks which are difficult to remove.

This might have stopped the problem in CT

A bigger solution would be to add anyone being treated for psychotic condition to a registry that would be searchable on a background check. A doctors approval would be the only way for this person to get a weapon.

This wouldnt catch all, but would weed out a few.

The fact is.... Not everyone that wants a gun is fit to have one.

Our 2a rights are being threatened by actions of a few.

Maybe its time to cull out the few.
    Don't think so. First off psychoses cover a huge range of issues and the vast majority of folks who are psychotic are not
    violent. Second no doc would accept the liability for releasing someone to carry. They are not mind readers. Don't give them that much power over others. Third, lot of very normal appearing and acting people, indeed actually normal people, will suffer
    a brief psychotic break at some point in their life. Most will recover in a few seconds or minutes or hours, and never
    pose a danger to anyone, but the thing is anyone can go off the deep end without warning.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Actually, a note from a doctor IF the person is ALREADY being treated for an anti social condition.
    So if you have an "antisocial condition" you are going to go out and start shootin' everything up?
    Last edited by Burns; December 18th, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Okay, I'm certainly NOT the sharpest knife in this drawer. But what if the previously undiagnosed, mentally unstable, mass murderer instead uses a disconnected natural gas line & a Bic lighter as his tool? Why are we, as a culture, so sure that firearm restriction is gonna' slow this madness down? A bag of Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows become a weapon in the hands of a predator willing to shove all of 'em up your nose. It's NOT THE TOOL that matters, it's the act!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I think everyone on this forum would agree that it isnt the tool that is to blame.

It is the " unhinged" person, AND the person who does not secure their firearm from the unhinged person, in
    Their own home when the cases arise.

As it sits right now, there is strong momentum against the auto rifles that soon or over time, could be banned.

How many more mall shootings or school shootings will the non- gun owners tolerate?

The problem is with the person that is crazy.

This is a method to keep a few of the crazy people from having the opportunity to shoot others

I will tell you... The " do nothing" crowd ( and in some cases, no solution crowd) could be suprised how quickly the gun freedoms we enjoy, could be changed forever.

Ever talk to former sport shooters in the UK? They still cant believe it.

I have also traveled to austrailia..... Same thing.

If there is a better solution, one that would greatly reduce these public shootings, please share

....Whenever I still can

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    So if you have an "antisocial condition" you are going to go out and start shootin' everything up?

This is the most ridiculous thread. Done here.
    And your solution is?

....Whenever I still can

I would rather see assault rifles banned than to have the federal government keeping track of medical issues.

Obviously, I don't think ar's should be banned/restricted.

If there is a better solution, one that would greatly reduce these public shootings, please share
    That's my point. Crazy people are the problem. If I snapped my fingers & all the guns magically disappeared, do you think these crazy mass murderers are gonna' stop?!? Any panic-driven, anti-gun legislation might (possibly) reduce public "shootings", but it will NOT slow down an individual determined to commit murder/suicide. It will ONLY serve to handicap our most effective, personally available protection AGAINST these lunatics!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sorry, I am not getting a doctors note to get permission to buy a gun. Ever look at the stats of how docs get diagnosis wrong? And IMO a medical doc has a much easier way of quntifieing and illness. A Physchaitris or pyschologist is much more subjective in a diagnosis than an MD.

And, how many docs are going to sign a note saying you are mentally fit to own a gun without fear of a law suit if something happens. No way dude. They will err on the side of caution.

And as far as vets.......I know of not one that would ever seek help if your luddicrous idea was put in place. It will be so easy for a doc to come up with some form of PTSD diagnsis for a war vet, fireman, emt, paramedic.

Yes, we need ideas, not crazy one (pardon the pun)
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links