SC Bill would allow school staff to carry if they have a CWP

This is a discussion on SC Bill would allow school staff to carry if they have a CWP within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bill would allow school workers with CWP to bring guns on campus - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina | Defenitely a step in the right ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By phreddy
  • 1 Post By phreddy
  • 1 Post By phreddy
  • 2 Post By Brady

Thread: SC Bill would allow school staff to carry if they have a CWP

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

Bill would allow school workers with CWP to bring guns on campus - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Defenitely a step in the right direction. I hoped that the bill requires the guns to stay on the person's body. I don't think they should be left in purses or briefcases on school grounds.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Now i hope other school systems follow suit. definitely need to keep them on their person. too much crap could go wrong if they leave em unattended.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

It has a long way to go to be law. We did get rid of one good ole boy who was tying things up last year. I am hoping our pro-gun bills start moving again.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

The more I think about it, I do not like the requirement that the principal of the school has to give permission. We currently have a similar requirement in churches here in SC. In too many cases, those who have to give permission worry about the liability of having done so. They talk to lawyers and insurance agents and very quickly approval is denied. I think it would be much of the same with this bill in schools. The bill needs to give permission to any school staff with a current CWP to be able to carry onto school property.
    Last edited by phreddy; December 19th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    It should just be law, period. Too bad they didn't include the PARENTS!
    tcox4freedom and phreddy like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Bill would allow school workers with CWP to bring guns on campus - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Defenitely a step in the right direction. I hoped that the bill requires the guns to stay on the person's body. I don't think they should be left in purses or briefcases on school grounds.
    or in a small, quick-access safe/secure box. Those safes only cost about $60, have a keypad entry with optional cylinder key, and could be kept in the desk during class as needed, and taken with the teacher when he leaves the classroom/building.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    or in a small, quick-access safe/secure box. Those safes only cost about $60, have a keypad entry with optional cylinder key, and could be kept in the desk during class as needed, and taken with the teacher when he leaves the classroom/building.
    I think something like that would need to be bolted in and secured. I cannot imagine that a teacher would always remember to take it with them. I have worked withgroups of kids and they can be quite distracting.

Also, it appears that the teachers do not need approval from the principal. They just need to noitfy the principal in writing. There is also a yearly training requirement. This bill is not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Links