help with upcoming inevitable argument

This is a discussion on help with upcoming inevitable argument within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright i would like some advice. My wifes aunts and uncles and grandparents are hard core left wing democrats. Anti gun, pro choice, obama and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: help with upcoming inevitable argument

Alright i would like some advice. My wifes aunts and uncles and grandparents are hard core left wing democrats. Anti gun, pro choice, obama and hillary bumper stickers, the whole works. Now for the past 13 years whenever the conversation at family gatherings turns to politics i usually leave the room and go play with the kids, which is more fun anyway. I just know inlight of the tragedy last friday that gun control is going to come up in the conversations. I would like your advice on some intelligent positions to defend myself and other gun owners. I need to have inteligent arguements prepared so i dont lose my temper and tell them what i really think of there beliefs. Now i know i will not be changing there minds but i want to atleast make them stop and think. And maybe just maybe plant enough seeds to sway them our way someday.

Stick to your guns (so to speak...)

Massad Ayoob » Blog Archive » AGAINST MONSTERS Some good information here.

i know virtually all of the pro-gun arguments, but i doubt that any of these would make an impact on such people as you're describing.

so instead, ask them how they feel sharing the same opinion about guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens as Adolph Hitler, Pol Pot, and probably every violent criminal in the country.

you could also mention that most of these mass killings have occurred in so-called, "gun-free zones".

Good luck with that. I have a reunion here this weekend and I am not even approaching the subject.

Did the crime rate go down with the last AWB? Since drunk driving kills more every year than firearm use, should every driver have an interlock device in their car? Why only address one material object that people use to harm, and not others?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Ask them to name one mass shooting that took place in a gun-friendly zone. Gun free zones are where the crazies go because they KNOW they will not meet any immediate resistance. Remind them that Chicago has probably the strongest gun laws, and may have the highest gun violence rates of any city. So, how are MORE laws going to change what went on in CT?

I have several relatives who really don't think the way I do, and I always keep my cool. In the end, they are my family. Please remember that there are people who will NEVER change their mind on this issue.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

take the dog for a very long walk
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Sometimes silence is the better part of valor.

There is little to no good that can come out of verbal brawling with family.

There are a handful of topics that I refuse to debate over with family members. This is one.
    macg19 and goldshellback like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

There are three things I would tell them.

1. The shooter killed his own mother, entered school property with a firearm, and committed murder. Numerous crimes were committed by this individual and no law on the books could stop him.

2. Last week's incident is actually a textbook example of the results of gun control; it disarms the wrong people.

3. Most importantly, I would pose the following question: If gun carry (with permit and training) had been allowed in the school, how could the outcome have possibly been any worse?

I think Number #3 alone will shut them up.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by 03mossy View Post
    Alright i would like some advice. My wifes aunts and uncles and grandparents are hard core left wing democrats. Anti gun, pro choice, obama and hillary bumper stickers, the whole works. Now for the past 13 years whenever the conversation at family gatherings turns to politics i usually leave the room and go play with the kids, which is more fun anyway. I just know inlight of the tragedy last friday that gun control is going to come up in the conversations. I would like your advice on some intelligent positions to defend myself and other gun owners. I need to have inteligent arguements prepared so i dont lose my temper and tell them what i really think of there beliefs. Now i know i will not be changing there minds but i want to atleast make them stop and think. And maybe just maybe plant enough seeds to sway them our way someday.
    First of all, good luck with your discussions with them. I would suggest that you read some of the blogs by Karl Denninger at market-ticker.org. He wrote three articles on the Sandy Hook shootings which I thought were extremely good. He is really smart and makes some really good arguments. For example, he says the bad guys never attack a police station. Why? Because the bad guy knows they will shoot back! So the bad guy always chooses a gun free zone where the potential victims can't shoot back. Also, why does the President have these bodyguards with guns (I.e. the secret service) to protect him? Why doesn't the secret service practice gun control? Let us know how your discussions go. Good luck!

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    take the dog for a very long walk
    Heres the kicker, there anti dog to! And i have a very handsome 7 month old british ivory lab that would love to come with.

Good advice so far, keep it coming. Thanks

Ask them this, If someone were to come into our home today and threatened to kill our family, all of us, would you feel better letting this criminal make that decision or would you rather make that decision yourself? You can't make that decision unless you have a means to make it.
    Basically, a gun..... Whatever they say to back you down, you simply say, I am not going to let someone decide if this family lives or dies. I love all of you too much to let this happen. That should help shut them up. How can they disagree with you. Let your family just get killed?
    Works for me with my anti-gun friends and family.

Ohh, one last thing, they will say the odds of that happening are low of not existent. You then say, The graveyard is full of people who never thought it would happen to them. Including those who were killed just recently. Sad but true.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

When the subject comes up just tell them that it is a mental health problem not a gun problem. Then leave the room so they can discuss it among themselves. You'd stay and
    discuss it with them if it was a gun problem because you value their opinion. But since its not a gun problem they can figure it out themselves.

You are better off.... not even bothering, most far lefties wont listen to reason

My approach?

I dont waste my breath on the far left.

I try to influence the middle that havent touched a gun

I take as many people that havent shot, shooting.

I have been a catalyst to getting MANY non shooters into the fun.

I also invite my friends to bring their kids to go shooting.

Thats the best way to get someone to be pro2A, and to continue our passion
    sensei2 likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links