More background checks

This is a discussion on More background checks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have no problem with additional or more stringent background checks. I have already gone through the process necessary to get my Trusted Traveller card ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: More background checks

More background checks

I have no problem with additional or more stringent background checks. I have already gone through the process necessary to get my Trusted Traveller card - FBI background check, interview, etc., to get the card to speed up my pre-flight security process and streamline the border customs process. I have nothing to hide. I would like an endorsement on my Trusted Traveller card, just like on a driver's license, that would streamline the background check process wherever I acquire a firearm. If I stop paying my taxes, or assault my wife, or molest a child, or vote for a democrat ;), they can take away my firearm purchase endorsement. Make the program attractive to law-abiding gun owners and you will get better acceptance and possibly even voluntary compliance.

2. Remove Ads

I have no problem either other than:

1) Bad guys will continue to get their guns illegally, so additional background checks would be a non-factor.
    2) It continues to foster the notion that one must prove their innocence before purchasing a firearm, which strikes me as contrary to the American system.
    3) The HIPPA law and other forms of political correctness will not allow pertinent data to be accessed.
    4) Often times juvenile criminal records are sealed and cannot be accessed.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Re: More background checks

Background checks do nothing to prevent crime.

They are principally wrong because they assume guilt and you must prove your innocence before you can exercise your right.

Why not put background checks on every right? To single out gun owners is discrimination.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I wish America would quit pe eing money away on activities that do absolutely nothing to address the problems at hand.
    Last edited by Caertaker; December 19th, 2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Didn't like the word pi s s ing
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Background checks are fine, so far as they go.

Trouble is, they don't go very far. By design, they're self-selecting to operate only on the basically lawful subset of the citizenry. In the end, the vast majority of criminals simply don't apply for a CHL or go into the local gun shop to purchase an over-the-counter weapon. So, background checks don't stop them ... and THEY are the most dangerous folks, by far.

I'm all for the concept of reducing the likelihood a violent felon about to attack me has less capability during that attack. But putting in a system that checks me and other upstanding citizens like me (largely only that group) isn't a recipe for reducing the likelihood, practically speaking.

It's fine, as far as it goes. It just doesn't effectively de-claw the folks it's hoped the program would de-claw.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 19th, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I have no problem either other than:

1) Bad guys will continue to get their guns illegally, so additional background checks would be a non-factor.
    2) It continues to foster the notion that one must prove their innocence before purchasing a firearm, which strikes me as contrary to the American system.
    3) The HIPPA law and other forms of political correctness will not allow pertinent data to be accessed.
    4) Often times juvenile criminal records are sealed and cannot be accessed.
    -You don't have to prove anything to get a firearm, an investigation in just that, "their look-see", not "your-case". The point is to see if the Right pertains to so and so, that so and so is a sane, law-abiding citizen not addicted to mind-altering substances. Well, only one way to find out: investigate.
    -HIPPA does most certainly allow pertinent info to be accessed. Just read what the records contain.
    -Bad guys will continue to get their guns illegally, until the Gun-Show Loop-Hole is closed which is completely contrary to logic, anyone would know it produces harm. Anonymous anyones with 0 background known able to purchase large numbers of handguns - many of them sold to young gangs in the ghettos of nearby states, who well may have thorough regulations and checks, but at the moment out-of-state guns appear, their protection for common citizens falls apart. The Feds, FBI, ATF have backward-tracked a good number of these guns after crimes were committed with them. Smack back out of state to the gun shows.
    -Bad Guys will not as easily be able to get legal guns, because pre-permit and pre-gun purchase background checks that are intensified will red flag a number.

All of these controls would help a good deal and all are in tune with The SCOTUS Heller Opinion of recent date which specifically allows regulation, in fact, examples the point by naming a number which continue to be legal as all are so long as one does not preclude the possibility to possess a working firearm. (The HELLER OPINION is now for legal purposes, The Second A.)

VIP Member
    Wow. I'm amazed, no, deeply saddened that some have little to no understanding of their birthright as Americans and would so willingly give up their freedom for convenience.

And how is this going to stop criminals who get their guns illegally from getting their guns while causing me extra inconvenience?
    ctr likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links