Australia enacted strict gun laws...not a massacre since

This is a discussion on Australia enacted strict gun laws...not a massacre since within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received this article from a friends wife who is obviously a liberal. I want to throw it out there for (intelligent) opinion. "After a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Australia enacted strict gun laws...not a massacre since

I received this article from a friends wife who is obviously a liberal. I want to throw it out there for (intelligent) opinion.

"After a 1996 Mass Shooting, Australia Enacted Strict Gun Laws. It Hasn't Had a Similar Massacre Since."

Gun control: After Connecticut shooting, could Australia's laws provide a lesson?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Well, how frequent were the mass shootings there before that? I'm sure the data are out there but the article doesn't say. There's no knowing how effective their laws are at preventing mass shootings if the laws have been around 16 years but such shootings only happened every 5-20 years.

1. You cannot compare the US to other countries in population (Texas has a larger population than OZ) or in culture. To do so is asinine.
    2. Australia's violet crime has tripled since the ban and people cannot defend themselves. Robberies, rapes and assault.

There is a good video out there about the bans in the uk and OZ

Send this too. Ask how she would like to wait, while being attacked, for the police to show up.

You're sound asleep when you hear a thump outside your bedroom door. Half-awake, and nearly paralyzed with fear, you hear muffled whispers.
    At least two people have broken into your house and are moving your way.

With your heart pumping, you reach down beside your bed and pick up your shotgun. You rack a shell into the chamber, then inch toward the door and open it. In the darkness, you make out two shadows. One holds something that looks like a crowbar. When the intruder brandishes it as if to strike, you raise the shotgun and fire.

The blast knocks both thugs to the floor. One writhes and screams while the second
    man crawls to the front door and lurches outside. As you pick up the telephone to call police, you know you're in trouble.

In your country, most guns were outlawed years before, and the few that are privately owned are so stringently regulated as to make them useless.

Yours was never registered. Police arrive and inform you that the second burglar has died They arrest you for First Degree Murder and Illegal Possession of a Firearm.

When you talk to your attorney, he tells you not to worry: authorities will probably plea the case down to manslaughter. "What kind of sentence will I get?" you ask.
    "Only ten-to-twelve years,” he replies, as if that's nothing. "Behave yourself, and you'll be out in seven."

The next day, the shooting is the lead story in the local newspaper. Somehow, you're portrayed as an eccentric vigilante while the two men you shot are represented as choirboys. Their friends and relatives can't find an unkind word to say about them. Buried deep down in the article, authorities acknowledge that both "victims" have been arrested

numerous times.

But the next day's headline says it all: "Lovable Rogue Son Didn't Deserve to Die."
    The thieves have been transformed from career criminals into Robin Hood-type pranksters. As the days wear on, the story takes wings.

The national media picks it up, then the international media. The surviving burglar has become a folk hero. Your attorney says the thief is preparing to sue you, and he'll probably win.

The media publishes reports that your home has been burglarized several times in the past and that you've been critical of local police for their lack of effort in apprehending the suspects. After the last break-in, you told your neighbor
    that you would be prepared next time. The District Attorney uses this to allege
    that you were lying in wait for the burglars. A few months later, you go to trial.

The charges haven't been reduced, as your lawyer had so confidently predicted.
    When you take the stand, your anger at the injustice of it all works against you.
    Prosecutors paint a picture of you as a mean, vengeful man. It doesn't take long for the jury to convict you of all charges.

The judge sentences you to life in prison.

This case really happened.

On August 22, 1999, Tony Martin of Emneth, Norfolk , England , killed one burglar and wounded a second. In April, 2000, he was convicted and is now serving a life term. How did it become a crime to defend one's own life in the once great British Empire ?

It started with the Pistols Act of 1903.
    This seemingly reasonable law forbade selling pistols to minors or felons and established that handgun sales were to be made only to those who had a license. The Firearms Act of 1920 expanded licensing to include not only handguns but all firearms except shotguns. Later laws passed in 1953 and 1967 outlawed the carrying of any weapon by private citizens and mandated the registration of all shotguns.

Momentum for total handgun confiscation began in earnest after the Hungerford mass shooting in 1987. Michael Ryan, a mentally disturbed man with a Kalashnikov rifle, walked down the streets shooting everyone he saw.

When the smoke cleared, 17 people were dead. The British public, already de-sensitized by eighty years of "gun control", demanded even tougher restrictions. (The seizure of all privately owned handguns was the objective even though Ryan used a rifle) Nine years later, at Dunblane , Scotland , Thomas Hamilton used a semi-automatic weapon to murder 16 children and a teacher at a public school.

For many years, the media had portrayed all gun owners as mentally unstable or worse, criminals. Now the press had a real kook with which to beat up law-abiding gun owners. Day after day, week after week, the media gave up all pretense of objectivity and demanded a total ban on all handguns. The Dunblane Inquiry, a few months later, sealed the fate of the few sidearms still owned by private citizens.

During the years in which the British government incrementally took away most gun rights, the notion that a citizen had the right to armed self-defense came to be seen as vigilantism. Authorities refused to grant gun licenses to people who were threatened, claiming that self-defense was no longer considered a reason to own a gun. Citizens who shot burglars or robbers or rapists were charged while the real criminals were released.

Indeed, after the Martin shooting, a police spokesman was quoted as saying, "We cannot have people take the law into their own hands.” All of Martin's neighbors had been robbed numerous times, and several elderly people were severely injured in beatings by young thugs who had no fear of the consequences. Martin himself, a collector of antiques, had seen most of his collection trashed or stolen by burglars.

When the Dunblane Inquiry ended, citizens who owned handguns were given three months to turn them over to local authorities. Being good British subjects, most people obeyed the law. The few who didn't were visited by police and threatened with ten-year prison sentences if they didn't comply.

Police later bragged that they'd taken nearly 200,000 handguns from private citizens. How did the authorities know who had handguns? The guns had been registered and licensed. Kind of like cars. Sound familiar?

WAKE UP AMERICA ; THIS IS WHY OUR FOUNDING FATHERS PUT THE SECOND AMENDMENT IN OUR CONSTITUTION

"...It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...”

~ Samuel Adams ~

If you think this is important, please forward to everyone you know.

I saw the article this morning but wondered about their mentally ill. Could be they are better handled than here. Mental health-related services provided in Australia So is it that their gun control works so well or is it that their mentally ill are actually able to get treatment and/or support?

I haven't taken the time to really look into it or to look into crimes besides mass killings, etc - it's my day off and that seems like a lot of work. I started to and then decided I don't really care what they do in Australia. If I wanted to live somewhere like Australia, I'd just move there.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    The site, which is owned by The Washington Post Company
    That alone speaks volumes to anyone who understands the WP's agenda.

I am so tired of hearing about (other) countries as a model.
    This is America!

I read the entire article. It is totally skewed with relevant facts left out.

The most glaring are their stats that show "death" by guns declined; yet the article makes no attempt to
    show how "violent" deaths continue by other means.

Typical liberal slanting and biased numbers crunching.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

We are not Australia. Their pre ban murder rate was not very high, it has not dropped much. Their assault rate has increased. It seems that historically, most mass murders were of Abos. Also, according to the FBI, crimes of violence in the U.S. have been on a steady decline for 20 years, even with the proliferation of guns and the increase in carry permits in the U.S. Guns are not the problem. There is no correlation between access to guns and violence. Our rate of improvement ( a 50% decline since 1997)is actually greater than the Australian programs(about 30%)
    http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/0/B/...%7Dfacts11.pdf

We do not have a 90% acceptance of this idea, and our citizens do not really like to be told what to do (goggle "Volstead Act). We also have a lot more guns and people, and no money for buy backs, not to mention organized gangs and drug sellers actively importing and selling guns. Our people seem to show more imagination in mass murder also, using bombs and homemade flamethrowers. Law abiding people would turn in guns, which may prevent most mass murders (even though the evil assault rifle is not actually the weapon of choice). Criminals would not turn them in, and could get more by importing them from Mexico, after the ATF walks them to Mexico. Check the effectiveness of our drug interdiction programs. Studies have shown that there is not much correlation between access to guns and violence.

Facts on mass killings in the U.S., not pro or anti gun:

WCR V6n1 Duwe

James Alan Fox - Crime & Punishment blog - Boston.com

The problem is not new, it is not simple, the media is really no help (may actually distort the problem) and it is more complicated than most believe.

Note: Columbine was planned as a bombing-propane tanks and gasoline:
    Why]Why did Eric and Dylan kill their classmates? | DylanKlebold.com did the cafeteria bombs fail? | DylanKlebold.com
    oakchas likes this.

Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    I'm gonna take the boat out for a spin around the lake, anyone want me to take your firearms for a nice cruise around the shoreline?

Every picture I see of one of the polititians over on Disneyland on the Potomac(Washington D.C.) these days shows them with a smile or slight smirk on their mug.
    Wonder why?

Its B.O.H.I.C.A. time.

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.
    - Robert Bloch
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Not a single person has been killed by the guns in my home and the guns outnumber the people living here by about 10 to 1 and the amount of rounds of ammunition we have access to would probably shock most people. Our gun violence here is zero and we have zero crime.

Shooting at Monash University in Melbourne on October 21, 2002...Two killed and Five injured Monash University shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mass murder by means of arson June 23, 2000...15 killed Childers Palace Backpackers Hostel fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Australian mass murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

All of these attempts to compare US stats to other countries (Australia, UK, anywhere in Europe) are asinine. It's just a convenient talking point for brainless media types. They conveniently ignore the differences in population, land area, demographics, etc

I would suggest if they like that Countries policiesw so much that they pack and move there.
    68blackbird likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If I understand correctly, both Israel and Switzerland have compulsory military service, and after you are done, reserves. Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure in both places, you keep your rifle (at least the last time I visited Israel, this is what I was told). So pretty much everyone between 21 and say 50 who served has a rifle in their closet.

They must have a HIGHER ratio of guns to citizens than here in the US!

Why is it that neither of these countries have the mass killings? (Is it something in our water?)

Now I know that anywhere you look in Israel you see a service guy with a gun. That must be a pretty big deterrent if you are planning on going to mall or movie to create mayhem knowing there are a few armed service people close by. We don't have to do experiments. You can look to these countries and see that law abiding citizens having AR weapons does not equal mass murder.

You know that's funny...same thing happend to me this summer. I need a better boat ......

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would suggest if they like that Countries policiesw so much that they pack and move there.
    Right on ! Leave ....don't compare the US to your country , apples and oranges .

Chris Dawg likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links