Obama's Press Conference Today

This is a discussion on Obama's Press Conference Today within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is a snippet from his speach: Vice President Joe Biden will lead an inter-agency group to come up with "concrete proposals no later than ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Obama's Press Conference Today

Obama's Press Conference Today

Here is a snippet from his speach:
    Vice President Joe Biden will lead an inter-agency group to come up with "concrete proposals no later than January -- proposals that I then intend to push without delay," the president said.
    No single law or set of laws can prevent gun violence, the president said.
    "I urge the new Congress to hold votes on these measures next year in a timely manner. And considering Congress hasn't confirmed a director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in six years -- the agency that works most closely with state and local law enforcement to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals -- I'd suggest that they make this a priority early in the year."
    "This country has a strong tradition of gun ownership that's been handed down from generation to generation."
    The "complex" issue demands action on gun laws and work in making "access to mental health care at least as easy as access to a gun," he said.
    Not saying there is not going to be change in the air...there will be. But for all those afraid of Obama using EO's to accomplish this I think it is unlikely. If any laws are changed, you need to look no further than your elected officials. This can't and will not happen without Congress.

Like the POTUS or not, but I do not think he will do anything unilaterally. He needs congress.

On a side note my 18 year old son played HALO last night for 2 hours with a friend...they both said they did not feel the need to go out and massacre people.......video games are NOT the problem
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    For those who don't remember 'Brain dead Joe' was one of the AUTHORS of the 1994 AWB.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    For those who don't remember 'Brain dead Joe' was one of the AUTHORS of the 1994 AWB.
    Even before Sandy Hook a lot of folks on this forum thought there would be some sort of AWB passed. We all know Biden is anti gun...point is he does not make policy and Congress will have to pass whatever.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Nothing new in that speech. Feinstein will introduce her AWB as announced in January. I predict the media will keep spinning up anti-gun stories in the next few weeks to prevent the mania from dying down. I do think some type of AWB with grandfathering will be passed next year. Whether that will satisfy the average anti is anyone's guess (we all know there's some nuts out there that won't stop until BB and paintball guns are banned)

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Yes Beer Nut and drinking Joe is well just like his boss pure scum
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

I never heard anyone say that HALO was the problem. I think the vast majority, except for the extremes from either side, believe that it's a more complex problem which would be a bit more realistic IMO.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Well after just listening to Obama assign Biden to handle the gun issue. He did say he wants something to look at in Jan.

But during the media's integration, on the gun subject, he also alluded to a couple ah months instead of weeks?

So contemplating the history of the speed of Government's movements on agendas, it could be months before they even have any ideas to talk about and, they will still have to make it through the process, before anything hit's Obama's quill.

Looks like the panic = purchasing, should been eluded for a while.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I never heard anyone say that HALO was the problem. I think the vast majority, except for the extremes from either side, believe that it's a more complex problem which would be a bit more realistic IMO.
    There was a petition being circulated I chose not to sign for this very reason.

Yes, it had the usual stiff about not vilifying and object for the actions of a person, which I absolutely agreed with, but then went on to the effect of "what about the video games that cause this behavior". I closed my browser after reading that part.

The gun site that was circulating the petition then came back, berating its community for not signing.

Saying that video games cause violence is no different than saying guns do. We love our slogan of "XXXXXX# of gun owners killed nobody today". The same is true of the gaming community. It's simply trying to heap the blame on a thing, and not on the person who commits a crime.

I am a young man who owns firearms and plays video games. I watch movies and TV that contain violence and profanity. I am from a single-parent home of modest means. I also go to church, eat red meat, drive a truck, and own a pit bull. I am everything the media point to and says "that's what causes it". Where is my body-count? Why do the streets of my town not run red? Could it be that I am the master of my own actions? That I am more than simply the sum of my possessions? Have I simply chosen not to maim and kill? How can that be?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is what I was referring to. Too many folks try to make this a simple issue, (avialability of guns, mental health acces, video games, single parent families) when it is a complex issue.
    DPro.40 likes this.

There is the E.P.A. that he can "use" to impact/effect ammo.....
    He likes his E.O.'s too, and it is scary how it could end up.

And I miss "Smokin Joe's" comedy, so looking forward to that...

On my way to Bass Pro Shops.......

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I've seen it quoted that violent video games lower violent behavior. It gives people a fantasy outlet. If you really care about the statistics I'm sure you can find them.

As for 'panic buying', I think it's totally reasonable to put stuff on back order (or buy it if you can find it) now, because you may or may not have the chance to get it before any new laws are passed. IF you already wanted whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is what I was referring to. Too many folks try to make this a simple issue, (avialability of guns, mental health acces, video games, single parent families) when it is a complex issue.
    I hate that argument. It goes along the lines of, "We need to save the 2nd Amendment! Ban free speech!"

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    If you really care about the statistics I'm sure you can find them..
    Here you go: Ten-country comparison suggests there’s little or no link between video games and gun murders
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I hate that argument. It goes along the lines of, "We need to save the 2nd Amendment! Ban free speech!"
    I have no idea what you mean by that???

Everybody that has a dog in this fight (No pun intended Xader) needs to write a letter to each of their U.S. Senators, to Speaker of the house Bohener, and your Congressman making certain that they understand, we will not tolerate them caving in on this issue.

Unless the new law offers tax incentives for gun safes, pistol safes, firearms training, and/or no restrictions on firearms (regardless of the style or color) or high capacity magazines we won't support it, and in fact will work to elect their opponent in their next race.

All your Senators and Congressmen/women are really worried about is being reelected. They will listen, if we make sure by our efforts they know they will have our support or if they don't do the right thing, our ire. (All three of my representative are Republicans, so I can say that with a bit more confidence than some of you, I know. :)

I'd much rather Obama be forced to use yet another illegal E/O, which can later be un-done, than have a law on the books that we have to repeal with a majority of the congress.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links