Effect of the previous assault weapons ban on buildling an AR-15

This is a discussion on Effect of the previous assault weapons ban on buildling an AR-15 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I understand that the previous assault weapons ban keyed off of specific features on the gun. Given that one can easily build all different kinds ...

Thread: Effect of the previous assault weapons ban on buildling an AR-15

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Effect of the previous assault weapons ban on buildling an AR-15

I understand that the previous assault weapons ban keyed off of specific features on the gun. Given that one can easily build all different kinds of things on an AR-15 receiver, did it have any effect at all on that practice, or only on the sale of complete guns? I was too young for most of that time to even own a gun.

2. Remove Ads

That's an interesting point. Are they going to ban AR lowers completely are can we still buy a AR pistol and change the stock\barrel. I don't know. I was too young to pay attention in '94, and just accepted the AWB ban as normal until '04.

I was wondering how much further people think it will go. Diane Feinstein's plan, or at least what I heard from her own mouth, includes even a ban on handguns with detachable magazines. Which basically means an all out ban on semi automatics. I dont believe for half a second that that will ever fly, but it seems like they're starting the bidding pretty high this time around.

VIP Member
    Well considering she made mention of the "list" of approved firearms, I'd say they are going for as much as they absolutely can. Remember how convoluted the whole healthcare bill was? You'll have to vote for it now and then you can go back and find out what's in it later.

The really scary thing is I believe they are going to push some sort of transportation laws so even those "assault weapons" that were purchased before the ban, will essential be illegal outside of your home. Also, she mentioned some sort of registration for "grandfathered" weapons, which is pretty unreal too...

GWEN IFILL: Explain to our viewers how what you are planning to introduce would have changed what happened in Newtown, Conn.

DIANNE FEINSTEIN: Well, over time, that weapon would be much less available.

What we're trying to do is ban the sale, the manufacture, the transfer, the importation of assault weapons. And it gets quite technical. And I won't go into that right now.

Grandfathered weapons that people already have, subject those weapons either to licensing or to a trigger lock, and spell out those grandfathered weapons, which would be over 900 in the bill, so nobody can say, oh, we took our -- their hunting weapon away.

Then I would be able to say, here's your hunting weapon. It's specifically exempted in the bill.
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein Readies to Reintroduce Expired Assault Weapons Ban | PBS NewsHour | Dec. 17, 2012 | PBS

Links