Most important reason to oppose a new AWB? - Page 2

Most important reason to oppose a new AWB?

This is a discussion on Most important reason to oppose a new AWB? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy;2498984[B ] I don't need a "reason" to keep and bear Arms it is a Right that shall not be infringed. We ...

View Poll Results: #1 reason you need an assault weapon?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Target Shooting

14 9.93%
  • Varmint Hunting

4 2.84%
  • Collecting

2 1.42%
  • Home/Personal Defense

59 41.84%
  • Countervailing force against foreign enemies

2 1.42%
  • Countervailing force against tyranny

60 42.55%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Most important reason to oppose a new AWB?

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy;2498984[B
    ]I don't need a "reason" to keep and bear Arms it is a Right that shall not be infringed.

We all have a right to keep and bear Arms and it shall not be infringed.

I don't have to justify to anyone or any form of government why I need or should be allowed to continue to have the ability to exercise any of my Rights.

My Rights do not come from any man or any woman or any government.

My Rights come from a higher power.

What is it about this that people have so much trouble understanding?
    [/B]
    Very well stated. End/thread.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I have to say all of the above except for hunting since I have a carbine. One of the main reasons for the 2nd Amendment was to keep the government in check and to help prevent it from becoming a tyranny. I also have my M4 for home defense and target shooting.

I would also like to mention that the wording on your poll is wrong. I'd love to own an assault weapon but it is too expensive to own one. An assault weapon has to be capable of select fire. The firearms mentioned are semi automatic only.
    Last edited by remington79; December 19th, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    msgt/ret and bombthrower77 like this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I picked Tyrany as the # 1 choice, because I had to choose, but the bottom two are pretty close, and personal defense is close behind. All of the above would be good, but you did ask for the #1 reason. I would echo the sentiments of many that I do not have to establish "need", I have a right as a human being.

Second, are we talking ACTUAL assault rifles here, or just what "they" are refering to as assault rifles? Not that it would change my answer, I just get pissed off at the intentionally clouded terminology abuse.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    Walk softly ...

It's hard for me to pick a reason because you don't have "I got one because I think they are really neat" on your list. But, that's my reason. I bought the Bushmaster and then started "cleaning it up". The trigger guard has been changed. I took it to a custom gun shop and had a Hogue forend installed to float the barrel. The sights have been removed and an EOTech 552 installed in their place. I changed to the Hogue pistol grip.

To me, it's like building your own street rod. Do you really need a street rod? Nope. A Kia will get you down to the grocery store. But street rods are really neat. In my opinion, so is an AR.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    I can think of six reasons why people would feel the need to own an assault rifle. While I am sure that most people would cite more than one of these, which of these would be your #1? Did I miss one?

1. Target Shooting
    2. Varmint Hunting
    3. Collecting
    4. Home/Personal Defense
    5. Countervailing force against foreign enemies
    6. Countervailing force against tyranny
    7. All of the above!

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

Re: Most important reason to oppose a new AWB?

Just wondering, do you know why it is or should be your right other than your personal interpretation of the Second Amendment?
    Because if the need was raised for a militia to organize, it is necessary to the security of a free state that the militia men be armed.

I don't need any more reason than that, because that is the reason we were able to build this country, and in turn, why the people that built this country saw fit to guarantee that right be protected FROM the government into the foreseeable future; because unlike every other representative democracy in history, they wanted this one to last.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Kadelic likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I have an AR that functions as an offensive weapon used in an official law enforcement patrol capacity. It will be deployed to crush evil wherever i find it. Its my personal rifle though. So not home or self defense but community defense.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I understand what you are saying, however justifying the item isn't going to work anyway because they don't care about whatever legal use you may have for it. That's why I say that I wouldn't try to justify it. They will simply counter with 1-4 are irrelevant because they are allowing you to have "other" options for that, and 5-6 they don't want you to have the capacity to take part in, in the first place.
    So #6 is the most important?
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Because if the need was raised for a militia to organize, it is necessary to the security of a free state that the militia men be armed.

I don't need any more reason than that, because that is the reason we were able to build this country, and in turn, why the people that built this country saw fit to guarantee that right be protected FROM the government into the foreseeable future; because unlike every other representative democracy in history, they wanted this one to last.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Which would be #5 or #6, right?
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I don't need a "reason" to keep and bear Arms it is a Right that shall not be infringed.

We all have a right to keep and bear Arms and it shall not be infringed.

I don't have to justify to anyone or any form of government why I need or should be allowed to continue to have the ability to exercise any of my Rights.

My Rights do not come from any man or any woman or any government.

My Rights come from a higher power.

What is it about this that people have so much trouble understanding?
    I agree that you don't, and shouldn't, "need" a reason to keep and bear arms. However, I would disagree about where your rights come from. First, as a die hard atheist, I completely reject the acceptance of a "higher power." Second, your right to keep and bear arms does, in fact, come from the government via the Constitution. Since you live in the United States you are subject to the constitutional interpretations set forth by the Supreme Court. You may want to strongly reconsider the need for a reason to have a semi-automatic rifle because, after Sandy Hook, the vocal liberal minority is going to kick and scream until restrictions are placed on the Second Amendment. The only way to possibly stop that from happening is to present well-rounded, intelligent opposition.

The only "assault" weapons are those in the hands of those who would assault me.

Why would I need a battle rifle, you mean? I don't, which is why I don't have one. But that's just me.

But there are plenty who do have them and use them. And any defensive situation that could find utility in a rifle of any kind could, basically, find similar utility in a battle rifle, so long as the penetration/carry characteristics were within bounds of the situation's requirements.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: Most important reason to oppose a new AWB?

I would suggest sticking to 1-4.... outside of gun forums, gun shops or like minded friends, 5 and 6 are going to make you look like a wack job.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    So #6 is the most important?
    I would imagine that our forefathers also used them for target practice, hunting, collecting and home defense. Wouldn't you?

The date has changed, the reasons haven't.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

the best reason to oppose a new AWB is that it would do nothing to halt or slow mass killings.

if such a bill is passed, and assuming it succeeded in eliminating all such weapons (LOL), prospective killers would find something else to use, and the antis would propose a new round of gun restrictions (magazines over 10 rounds, magazines over 5 rounds, restrictions on ammunition purchases, WHATEVER their current "bad" is).

mass killings have been around since Cain and Abel (killing 25% of the world's population all at once), and they will not be stopped by another law.

i laugh, sneer, or despair, depending on my mood, when i hear some idiot say that, "we have to make certain this never happens again." yeah, until the next time.
    bombthrower77 and zacii like this.

I do not have an AR, AK, or any of what I call "other rifles."

No problem with them, just not my cup of tea. I prefer my bolts.

But if I did have one, my reasons would be my business. No one else's. Of course, I am of that mind in all aspects of my life.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links