Most important reason to oppose a new AWB?

This is a discussion on Most important reason to oppose a new AWB? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can think of six reasons why people would feel the need to own an assault rifle. While I am sure that most people would ...

View Poll Results: #1 reason you need an assault weapon?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Target Shooting

14 9.93%
  • Varmint Hunting

4 2.84%
  • Collecting

2 1.42%
  • Home/Personal Defense

59 41.84%
  • Countervailing force against foreign enemies

2 1.42%
  • Countervailing force against tyranny

60 42.55%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Most important reason to oppose a new AWB?

I can think of six reasons why people would feel the need to own an assault rifle. While I am sure that most people would cite more than one of these, which of these would be your #1? Did I miss one?

1. Target Shooting
    2. Varmint Hunting
    3. Collecting
    4. Home/Personal Defense
    5. Countervailing force against foreign enemies
    6. Countervailing force against tyranny
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    I think "justifying" is the wrong approach. The Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear arms and it (outside of the liberal idea of what it means) is pretty clear about its intent and scope.

The reason I don't like looking for reasons to "need" something is it opens up the idea that it should be up for discussion, and therefore debate on what constitutes "need".

VIP Member
    7. All the above
    mprp, 357and40, atctimmy and 6 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The media is pushing so hard and its starting to make people forget that it is our right and it shall not be infringed.
    bgriffin70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I think "justifying" is the wrong approach. The Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear arms and it (outside of the liberal idea of what it means) is pretty clear about its intent and scope.

The reason I don't like looking for reasons to "need" something is it opens up the idea that it should be up for discussion, and therefore debate on what constitutes "need".
    I certainly understand what's written in the Constitution. The problem is that the meaning of it has been changed by SCOTUS on many occasions and the law is absolutely up for discussion among the powers that be whether you think it should be or not.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    The media is pushing so hard and its starting to make people forget that it is our right and it shall not be infringed.
    And other than saying "it's our right (which I wholeheartedly believe), no more discussion", we risk being left out of the decision-making process.
    miller_man and Darrow75 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have rifles that suit my current needs, none of which fall into the "assault" catagory. I'd like to have an AR but don't feel like spending the money to feed it, which negates the purpose of my owning guns--to shoot them. When TEOTWAWKI come, I may wish I had one, but not right now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

NMB
    The most important reason is the fact that it doesnt work, and will give people a false sense of accomplishment if passed.

We DO need to change some things, but gun control isnt one of them.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I didn't vote because "It's my right" wasn't on the list.
    phreddy, bigdog44 and SIGguy229 like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Sorry, Can't use one to hunt in Iowa (at least not deer). Don't own one.

That said... I have absolutely no problem with you having one, with as big a mag on it as you can tote, or wheel around if needs be.

I also might add... If, because of your irresponsibility in securing your weapon when it's not in use, me or mine are injured; we have a problem. A very big problem.
    bombthrower77 and Pkupmn98 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I didn't vote because "It's my right" wasn't on the list.
    Just wondering, do you know why it is or should be your right other than your personal interpretation of the Second Amendment?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I don't own one. if I were to buy one, its purpose would most likely be varmint (coyote) hunting. However, the reason I should be able to own one is the 2nd amendment guarantees my God given right to own one.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    I certainly understand what's written in the Constitution. The problem is that the meaning of it has been changed by SCOTUS on many occasions and the law is absolutely up for discussion among the powers that be whether you think it should be or not.
    I understand what you are saying, however justifying the item isn't going to work anyway because they don't care about whatever legal use you may have for it. That's why I say that I wouldn't try to justify it. They will simply counter with 1-4 are irrelevant because they are allowing you to have "other" options for that, and 5-6 they don't want you to have the capacity to take part in, in the first place.

I'm in the "all of the above" camp.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't need a "reason" to keep and bear Arms it is a Right that shall not be infringed.

We all have a right to keep and bear Arms and it shall not be infringed.

I don't have to justify to anyone or any form of government why I need or should be allowed to continue to have the ability to exercise any of my Rights.

My Rights do not come from any man or any woman or any government.

My Rights come from a higher power.

What is it about this that people have so much trouble understanding?
    KoriBustard, Anubis and Pistology like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links