Any intelligent responses to this recent LA Times article?

This is a discussion on Any intelligent responses to this recent LA Times article? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rangefinder Gun Control works! Just ask all those Mexican peasants. Or hey, just ask the Australians themselves. ret posted this on another ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Any intelligent responses to this recent LA Times article?

Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
    Gun Control works! Just ask all those Mexican peasants.
    Or hey, just ask the Australians themselves. ret posted this on another thread but was able to find it.

Gun Control in Australia - Watch and Weep - YouTube
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    it's just an incestuous relationship, which, over the years APPEARS to be an impressive body of work supporting more gun restrictions. in reality, it's just a house of cards, ready to fall over and be exposed by anyone who really checks into how this 'research' was done.
    Yup.

Case in point, the murderer in Newtown did a pretty fair job of showing the house of cards (concepts of "safe schools") for what it is, by simply breaking a little bit of glass and walking on in.

Now matter how one says it: we need a new deck o' cards, 'cause the existing one's "fixed."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Wikipedia has a good article which lists mass murders by country, number killed, number injured, and type of weapon used. It won't give you what you need, but it does show that other countries, with restrictive gun laws, still have an issue. I have a friend who believes the U.S. is the only country with private gun ownership or high rates of gun crime and it refuted him nicely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers
    Last edited by 38special; December 19th, 2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Forgot the link

Lots of good information/references have already been named by several people responding (I especially want to read "Shooting the Bull" mentioned by another poster).

Here's the central location I mentioned previously for many gun facts that counter your cousin's arguments:
    Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

It's divided into sections dealing with:

Gun Shows
    Assault Weapons

Sniping Rifles - Sniper Rifles

Handguns For Women Handgun Sales

Violence and Violent Crime

2nd Amendment Issue

"Pocket Rockets" and "Saturday Night Specials"

Concealed Carry and Concealed Weapons Permits

Licensing and Registration

Firearm Deaths (Homicide, Accidents)

Social Costs of Guns

Children and Guns

Automatic Weapons

50 Caliber Rifles

Microstamping

Ballistic Fingerprinting

Assault Weapons Ban
    Crime Gun Traces

International Gun Ownership and Crime

Gun Dealers

Gun Control Statistics

Deadly Force Encounters

Guns, Crime, Criminology and Crime Prevention (Self Defense)

Firearm Availability

Guns and Police (Law Enforcement/LEO)

RicT

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    Mangachk,

There are lots of places that have the info you need to refute your cousin's "facts", but I don't have them at my fingertips right now.

I just read a book (Guns and Violence: the English Experience), in which the author traces the history of gun control in Britain, along with the results for each time period. The results are quite the opposite of what the linked article states. This author also examines the statistics for both the British and American deaths by firearms, and explains the differences in the culture of each nation. The book is very informative, and not expensive (I bought my copy on Amazon for about $6).

I'll look up some of the other info/sources I have for this and get back to you tomorrow.

RicT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links