"What my legislator said" thread.

This is a discussion on "What my legislator said" thread. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TX expat In addition to my Federal Representatives, I also wrote to all of my reps at the state level. I just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "What my legislator said" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    In addition to my Federal Representatives, I also wrote to all of my reps at the state level. I just received this from the State House Representative from my district.
    Now that a positive response
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Now that a positive response
    Yeah it is! That's one nice thing about district level state representatives, you don't have to expect the prepared response sent by some staffer. This guy obviously responded himself and has a very no BS response. I like it!

Got a response yesterday from one of the politicians I've contacted, Marco Rubio:

Thank you for writing to me regarding the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I share your concern for the victims of this tragedy.

My heart breaks for the victims and families impacted by this senseless act of violence. In a world that can at times be defined by its darkness, children are a reminder of what is good, cheerful and beautiful about life. An act of violence against these defenseless young people, as well as the faculty and staff who dedicate themselves daily to educating and caring for them, is a deed of unconscionable evil. I pray that God holds Newtown close as the community continues to heal from this tragedy.

In the aftermath of this unspeakable tragedy, like millions of Americans, I am looking for public policy changes that might prevent such a horrible event from happening again. I continue to be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which guarantees citizens the right to safely and responsibly bear arms. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. In light of this horrible tragedy, I am open to new ideas to prevent mass tragedies like this from happening again.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve as your United States Senator. I appreciate your concern regarding this situation. If I can ever be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
    United States Senator

Write him off.

I'm at the point that if they do not publicly state that they will oppose any new restrictions, then they are against us. I'm sick of the fence sitters, and ambiguous statements that read both ways.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve as your United States Senator [Representative]
    All 535 of them in DC need to be reminded of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    TX expat and Lish like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

From one of my senators, Tom Udall, who has an anti-gun voting record.

Dear Dr. Tice,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

The incomprehensible act of violence carried out at Sandy Hook Elementary School has left our nation with a profound sense of sorrow and questions about why these tragedies are occurring with increasing frequency. For answers, we must start by assessing our gun laws, how we treat mental illness in this country and the cultural desensitization towards violence. Meaningful action is clearly needed to protect our communities and to move forward. I believe that every idea should be on the table and will carefully consider any reasonable legislation that is crafted to help prevent future tragedies.

As Congress begins to consider related legislation, it is important to recognize that these debates often evoke strong responses because we are attempting to reconcile an individual's constitutional rights with society's interest in maintaining public safety and combating crime. The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution secures the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms. I also believe that the Constitution gives us the right to own firearms for the protection of self, family, and property, and for sporting purposes such as hunting and target shooting. For generations, many New Mexicans have exercised this right in a responsible way, and they should be able to continue to do so. However, I also recognize that our communities have an obligation to protect citizens from senseless gun violence.

As a former federal prosecutor and Attorney General of New Mexico, my first-hand experiences with the numerous crimes committed with firearms led me to believe that these crimes are among the most heinous, and should be prosecuted as forcefully as possible. During my time in Congress, I have introduced legislation to appoint an additional Assistant U.S. Attorney for each jurisdiction to be focused solely on prosecuting gun crimes.

President Obama has announced a White House task force led by Vice President Biden that will make recommendations on gun related violence. I look forward to seeing these proposals. I am hopeful that working together we will achieve sensible solutions. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress looks for ways to address this issue and prevent this type of violence.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. Please feel free to contact me with your concerns regarding any federal issue by visiting my website at Tom Udall | Senator for New Mexico. For more information, you may also visit my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Senato...l/106433512869 and receive up to the minute updates through my Twitter page at http://twitter.com/senatortomudall.

At least you guys got responses. I haven't received a single response from Senator nor Congress critter. Not really surprised considering both are democracks and my letter was strongly worded. In fact I may have called them traitors for not upholding the Constitution, in a round about way.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

From Tom Price (R) Ga:

“All Americans want our communities to be safe places to live, learn, work and play. As we review how best to prevent mass shootings and the loss of innocent lives we should make a robust analysis of America’s mental health system a priority. A proper diagnosis and comprehensive treatment are critical to ensure we are identifying indicators of violent behavior that may lead to horrific crimes. To do otherwise would mean we continue to fail not only those afflicted with mental illness, but also their families, our communities and our nation.

“We know that the safe use and responsible ownership of firearms has time and time again safeguarded individual and public safety. In fact, guns are used more often to protect lives, not take lives. Steps to remove firearms from the hands of law-abiding citizens endangers those very citizens.

‪“John Adams succinctly stated that ‘our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.' As a public servant sworn to uphold that Constitution, I vow to continue to defend the freedoms it guarantees and bring focus to real problems and real solutions.”
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

One of my senators has publicly said he will file articles of impeachment if Obama tries EO measures and will use every available option to defunding the programs and the whitehouse. His words " We fought a revolution to be free of a Monarch. A President that seeks to impose his will by by passing congress, the supreme court and the constitution is seeking to a Monarch. Paul Rand

Thomas Massey in the House has proposed a bill to repeal gun free zones. Go team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links