"What my legislator said" thread.

This is a discussion on "What my legislator said" thread. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have received personal email replies from my two Virginia legislators in response to my emails urging an end to GUN FREE MURDER ZONES in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "What my legislator said" thread.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

"What my legislator said" thread.

I have received personal email replies from my two Virginia legislators in response to my emails urging an end to GUN FREE MURDER ZONES in schools.

Delegate Rick Morris (R): Agrees and is "working on it." Yay!

Senator Harry Blevins (R): As a former principal, is waiting for all the facts, and has never thought guns in schools were a good idea but is "...going to try to have an open mind as we make every effort to find a workable solution that will protect our children."

So far I'll call this a win. I doubt I would have gotten such positive replies two weeks ago.

Let's roll on our legislators!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good for you (and them).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    good and thanks for some good new for once on the front lines.

Your next letter from them will say... "gosh, I tried, I really did. Best I could do was to make America a Gun Free Zone...That way nobody will have guns."

And "I was convinced that schools are indeed no place for guns of any kind. In fact, in order to protect all the people all the time... I joined with my colleagues and have enacted the American Gun Free Zone law... making firearms completely illegal in this country...Everyone will be safe, now."

I'm exaggerating, of course... But this is a HUGE steamroller... and it ain't looking pretty for us...
    bigmacque likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING. Uh, no it isn't. That's just rain Chicken Little. So defeated, before the fight begins. Thanks for the post PARAMEDIC70002. I'll take that at face value, which is good news.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Several years ago I wrote Bill Nelson (D-FL) about some gun control issue that I felt strongly about at the time. They wrote back in what looked like a form letter that there were "more pressing issues at the time". I can't believe that jack wagon got re-elected in Seminole county, astronaut or not.

good to hear this!

I wrote my senator and representative today, as well. It's all we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Senator Harry Blevins (R): As a former principal, is waiting for all the facts, and has never thought guns in schools were a good idea but is "...going to try to have an open mind as we make every effort to find a workable solution that will protect our children."

So far I'll call this a win. I doubt I would have gotten such positive replies two weeks ago.

Let's roll on our legislators!
    That second letter sent all manner of red flags with me, specially anything that is coining the phrase "For the children." That three word catch phrase is now abused to get people to buy into whatever agenda they are pushing because of "Children". How on earth did I survive growing up not wearing a helmet bike riding, skiing, mountain climbing, falling out of trees, the 2 mile walk to the bus stop for school by myself....the rest of this post deleted for the sake of my membership here
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Received this from Senator Roy Blunt (R) this morning:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the terrible shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut. I share your shock at this incredible tragedy.

As the father of a young son and grandfather to six children under the age of 10, I am horrified by this incredible act of violence against defenseless children and the teachers who were trying to protect them. Like all Missourians, I'm very worried about our kids' safety.

We must have a serious national discussion about preventing these kinds of senseless acts of violence and protecting our children in their schools, and that should include a discussion about finding ways to spend federal dollars more wisely when it comes to treating and identifying people who are mentally ill and intervening before they do something that tragically impacts their lives and the lives of others.

There are no easy answers here. The families in Newtown are still mourning, and this is not the time to have political arguments or a knee jerk reaction from Washington.

Like you, I am shocked by this incredible tragedy, and I hope all Americans will join me in praying for the victims and their families after this horrific and senseless act of violence.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
    United States Senator

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    This one's from Ben Lujan for New Mexico, the first of my 3 reps to get back to me:

Dear Dr. Tice,

Thank you for contacting my office in Washington, D.C. Discussing critical issues with my constituents is very important to me.

The shooting in Connecticut is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved. I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, but in light of the many recent shootings—from Aurora to Tucson—and the heinous killing of innocent children in Newtown, I believe that there needs to be a real discussion about how we balance these rights and the safety of our communities.

This conversation must be expansive, and must include a discussion regarding high-capacity magazines. While I have expressed concern about limits on magazine capacity in the past, we have seen high-capacity magazines on any gun amplify the amount of destruction and loss of life that can be caused. Focusing on the size of magazines is one way to begin to address these horrific events without compromising Second Amendment rights or our responsibility to promote public safety.

In addition, the role that mental illness plays in these tragic events must be addressed. Too many people with mental health issues are slipping through the cracks and are not getting the help they need. More should be done to provide help to those suffering from mental health issues, both for their sake and the benefit of our communities.

Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion on this matter. Please feel free to contact any of my offices if I can assist you in any way. I am very interested in your opinions and your concerns. To find more information regarding current legislation, services I can offer, or ways my office can be helpful to you, please visit my website at: Congressman Ben Ray Lujan - Representing New Mexico's Third District in Congress.

Sincerely,
    Rep. Ben Ray LujŠn
    United States House of Representatives
    NM-03

Well, write him off for any help.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: "What my legislator said" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Well, write him off for any help.
    Most New Mexico politicians are pro-2A, and as I recall his voting record is decent on the subject. It appears he's toeing the party line here though.

I seriously doubt that there is one single legislator in DC that will take a firm stance on no new gun laws.

They are either being incredibly cryptic and vague on the matter, or are 100% in favor of new laws. Not a single spine in the lot, they will go the way that is SOP on the hill. Corruption, blackmail, threats, and vicious paper cuts.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

VIP Member
    In addition to my Federal Representatives, I also wrote to all of my reps at the state level. I just received this from the State House Representative from my district.

I will not support any efforts to restrict 2nd Amendment rights at the state level. I'm on record saying that I will filibuster any efforts to limit gun owners rights.

I believe most of our federal delegation feels the same way, but time will tell.

Sincerely,
    Rob Schaaf
    State Senator - District 34
    DPro.40 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links