Ohio AG shows support for armed staff at schools

This is a discussion on Ohio AG shows support for armed staff at schools within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is an article on it by the Buckeye Firearms Association: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine calls for arming school employees Attorney General Mike DeWine ...

Thread: Ohio AG shows support for armed staff at schools

Here is an article on it by the Buckeye Firearms Association:

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine calls for arming school employees

Attorney General Mike DeWine said today that Ohio schools should consider arming at least one staffer in their building in case of a shooting.

Stressing that it was a local decision, DeWine said, "If I was on a school board ... I would seriously consider having someone in that school, who may be an ex-police officer, someone who has significant training, someone who had access to a gun in school.

"But you would have to be very careful about it. I'm not saying everyone in the school should be armed but someone who knows what they are doing and who has that gun under lock and key and can get to it instantly out of their office. That's something I would at least debate and talk about."
    I would have liked to have been at the press conference today, to see the look on all the reporters faces when he mentioned it. But, some of the outlets are reporting it. He is also opening up some training from his office on active shooters to educators.

The article also notes that there wouldn't need to be any changes in law for this to go into effect. The school board, or governing body of a school can allow authorized persons to carry on school property.

I imagine this will be much more popular in some parts of the state than others, but I think it is good that the AG, who is the authority on concealed carry issues in Ohio, is willing to bring this up, and have a discussion about the idea.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This is good. My wife was telling me yesterday that on the news that a local school superintendent arranged things to allow teachers who wish to be armed and trained to do so in his school. As a result, he received several hundred calls from other school administrators asking for information on how to do the same and had parents trying to get their children into this school. (I wish I had a link, sorry)

Perhaps over the next few days and weeks, as more opinions like this come out, and more data shows guns an supplies flying off the shelves at a record pace, the message that enough of "The American People" don't want your "gun control" will be noticed.

Sponsored Links