America needs common sense restrictions on the 1st amendment!

This is a discussion on America needs common sense restrictions on the 1st amendment! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Our founding fathers couldn't have imagined the speed at which we communicate today using modern technology. You have to remember that when the 1st amendment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: America needs common sense restrictions on the 1st amendment!

Sponsor

America needs common sense restrictions on the 1st amendment!

Our founding fathers couldn't have imagined the speed at which we communicate today using modern technology. You have to remember that when the 1st amendment was written communication took significantly longer, the average newspaper was only published once a week and each page had to be meticulously set in type and papers hand delivered! They most certainly did not intend for the average civilian to be able to send messages instantly to millions of people world wide via the Internet and modern social media. It is time we reconsider the need for this antiquated "right" and bring America into the modern age! We must at the least consider common sense restrictions to the 1st amendment. Restrictions on posts or tweets greater than 10 words, the removal of CAPS LOCK from all keyboards, and banning acronyms which allow for rapid and convenient communication of commonly used phrases (Ex. LOL, TTYL, BRB, YMMV, ETC) are restrictions that any reasonable person can appreciate. If an agreement can't be made, so be it, repeal the 1st amendment!

---
    I guess debates against the 2nd amendment work equally as well for other rights!

-Clay

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Excellent points. Now should we start a White House petition?
    Eagleks likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Excellent points. Now should we start a White House petition?
    Pure genius! Lets do it!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    BAN that EVIL FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!Its got all the Terrible Features you mentioned, and it updates itself on a regular basis. O my think of the children the Share function is to fast...o the children.

BTW and this is a serious complaint I HATE AUTO correct!!!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Our founding fathers couldn't have imagined the speed at which we communicate today using modern technology. You have to remember that when the 1st amendment was written communication took significantly longer, the average newspaper was only published once a week and each page had to be meticulously set in type and papers hand delivered! They most certainly did not intend for the average civilian to be able to send messages instantly to millions of people world wide via the Internet and modern social media. It is time we reconsider the need for this antiquated "right" and bring America into the modern age! We must at the least consider common sense restrictions to the 1st amendment. Restrictions on posts or tweets greater than 10 words, the removal of CAPS LOCK from all keyboards, and banning acronyms which allow for rapid and convenient communication of commonly used phrases (Ex. LOL, TTYL, BRB, YMMV, ETC) are restrictions that any reasonable person can appreciate. If an agreement can't be made, so be it, repeal the 1st amendment!

---
    I guess debates against the 2nd amendment work equally as well for other rights!

-Clay

Brilliant! However, you forgot cyber-bullying!
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

The 1st Amendment is not without its limits.

post a detailed threat of violence against a judge or politician on the internet, and you go to jail.

leave a threatening voicemail, and you go to jail.

send a threatening email.....off to jail.

protest permits are Constitutional.

etc..etc..

Yelling "fire!" without a fire has always been a good way to get everyone to jump on yer head. For good reason.

But apparently tearing down the Constitution, promoting tyranny, and lambasting the need to lift a finger to create practical enhancements in identifying, guarding against and defending against criminal predators is all worthwhile "speech."

I fear the rabid table-bangers don't want to hear what I (we) have to say on that score.

And so, I write letters, call my reps, speak rationally to those I love about what might be done, and I ensure I've taken the precautions I can against predation. Damn them all to the underworld, those who dare come for me and mine with an "upraised knife." Now, if only we can get everyone else to be so adamant about protecting our loved ones' very lives that practical steps are taken that have any hope of being effective. If only.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    The 1st Amendment is not without its limits.

post a detailed threat of violence against a judge or politician on the internet, and you go to jail.

leave a threatening voicemail, and you go to jail.

send a threatening email.....off to jail.

protest permits are Constitutional.

etc..etc..
    True, You've strengthened my argument more. THREATS are illegal just as MURDER is illegal. Based upon the logic of arguments against the 2nd Amendment, we should restrict your ability to leave long voicemails, limit you to a monthly email limit and require a mandatory 7 day wait time on all emails sent because these common sense restrictions could reduce your ability to make a threat.

-Clay

True, You've strengthened my argument more. THREATS are illegal just as MURDER is illegal. Based upon the logic of arguments against the 2nd Amendment, we should restrict your ability to leave long voicemails, limit you to a monthly email limit and require a mandatory 7 day wait time on all emails sent because these common sense restrictions could reduce your ability to make a threat.

-Clay
    that's pretty funny bro.

carry on.
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.

... we should restrict your ability to leave long voicemails, limit you to a monthly email limit and require a mandatory 7 day wait time on all emails sent because these common sense restrictions could reduce your ability to make a threat.
    Don't threaten me, man! I'll word-smith ya, tattoo yer keyboard, unplug yer coffee maker ...
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You might be on to something there. Back when the Constitution was written, if another man said something about you that you didn't like, you could challenge him to a duel. He either stood behind what he said, retracted it, or cowered off, to be shunned by polite society and employers. We didn't have "paparazzi", they would have been dealt with severely for invading privacy and publishing embarassing pictures. There is very little accountability in the press, when 20/20 did that fraudulent piece about GM truck gas tanks, they should have been themselves blown up. All these years later they are still on TV, described as "durable". Certainly not "trustworthy". The "Press" needs a serious attitude adjustment.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Microphone-ectomies. I predict a booming market.

"From my cold, dead lips ..."
    msgt/ret likes this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm truly beginning to hate the phrase "common sense restrictions". how about people just use flippin common sense to begin with then we wouldn't have to PUT UP WITH restrictions
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
    I'm truly beginning to hate the phrase "common sense restrictions". how about people just use flippin common sense to begin with then we wouldn't have to PUT UP WITH restrictions
    Yup, I think its funny that they always use the phrase "common sense", Its a logical fallacy designed to belittle those who have opposing views.

-Clay

Yup, I think its funny that they always use the phrase "common sense", Its a logical fallacy designed to belittle those who have opposing views.
    It goes both ways. "Common sense ain't as common as it once was." That's a little tidbit used around here (more or less), from time to time. Equally logically fallacious, true though it might be.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links