Gun show loophole????

This is a discussion on Gun show loophole???? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but its my understanding that if you go to a gun show, and buy a gun from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gun show loophole????

Gun show loophole????

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but its my understanding that if you go to a gun show, and buy a gun from a licensed dealer, you are still ran through a background check. What the media calls the "gun show loophole" is that an individual can buy a gun from another individual at a gun show. Well, this is perfectly legal in your yard, on the streets, etc. So if this is the case, then the "gun show loophole" merely doesn't exist, except in the eyes of the media. Chime in or correct me if I'm wrong...
    Spirit51 and mano3 like this.

2. Remove Ads

But if there is a private seller its cash and carry

As far as I can determine, you are absolutely correct. Every firearm I have seen purchased from a dealer at the local gun shows comes with a 4473 and a background check if one doesn't have a Georgia Weapons License (GWL).
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMan View Post
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but its my understanding that if you go to a gun show, and buy a gun from a licensed dealer, you are still ran through a background check. What the media calls the "gun show loophole" is that an individual can buy a gun from another individual at a gun show. Well, this is perfectly legal in your yard, on the streets, etc. So if this is the case, then the "gun show loophole" merely doesn't exist, except in the eyes of the media. Chime in or correct me if I'm wrong...

You read my mind.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I purchased my 1911 from a private owner at a gun show and it was cash and carry. No paper work. Gun show loop hole??

It's funny that many so called pro-gun politicians claim that they don't support gun registration, but then they clamor about the gun show loophole and want all transfers to be traced. :) It's so sad that so many people take the bait too.

My opinion is if they regulate private sales at gun shows its going to include private sales from anywhere not just gun shows
    blanco64 and Spirit51 like this.

They call it "the gun show loophole", but what they're really referring to is private sales between individuals that don't require a background check or any paperwork. Of course, they refer to it as "the gun show loophole" to sensationalize it, like they always do, even though it's likely that private sales taking place across America that don't have anything to do with gun shows is likely tens of times greater.

What they want is background checks for ALL guns sales, even between private individuals (okay, what they really want is no gun sales whatsoever, and all guns confiscated, but that's another topic).

This is who is in charge of the up coming gun control??

Biden: If Obama Comes for my Beretta, He's Got a Problem - YouTube

Boggles the mind it does....

Gun show loophole????

This is something we, as protectors of gun rights need to help make known to all the uninformed ppl. Hell, I even heard Bill Oriely talking about the gun show loophole the other night....I thought he knew everything.....:):)

The "Gun Show Loophole" is the term used for private sales. That is what they want to eliminate. No more buying a deer rifle from you neighbor. No more of your fathers 1911 handed down to his children. No more loaning a shotgun to the guy you work with to go pheasant hunting. All will have to go thru nics and ffl. Of course the massive numbers will backlog the system into taking months for transfers and added fees for paperwork.

I'm speculating that there will have to be some sort of card issued as proof of the proper transfer. LEO will have the ability to "Stop and ID" anyone to check paperwork. No proof of transfer and you have the firearm confiscated and go to jail.

This scenario, I'm guessing, is what will eventually happen. Now, sooner than later. Of course "nobody wants to take your hunting rifle away".

Senior Moderator
    There are those that want to eliminate private sales between private partys.

There is a movement underway right now to do just that.

You can expect our President to push that one hard. He want all sales to go through an FFL so that they can be background checked...for the children of course. At is stands now, only an FFL can do a NICS check. There is no mechanism to do it by a citizen wishing to do a private sale.

Think about it. If you have to go through an FFL, they WILL charge a fee for their time. It might be the same as a transfer fee, around here the going rate is 25 bucks.

If that happens, you'll have to pay just for the privelege of selling your private property and contrary to the beliefs of some of our Obamanites, that IS a record whether they beleive that or not.

So, all of a sudden, you have a record of every sale of a firearm that takes place.
    Doing it any other way could invoke the wrath of the BATFE which could knock down your door, shoot your dog and stomp your cat...just because you didnt do it like they thought you should.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The gun show is only a gathering place for those seeking private sales. The only thing that would close any alleged "loophole" would be requiring a background check on all private sales--the legal ones anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

well if they make it to where all private sales must go through an ffl, ffl's are about to get rich.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

For me to send my son a pistol (required for out of state), I had to pay an FFL dealer $35-40 on this end, and he had to pay the same to receive it.
    A law requiring the FFL involvement for all gun sales would be quite costly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links