Conversation This Evening

This is a discussion on Conversation This Evening within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've remained very quiet and listened intently at work over the last week. I have resisted the urge to say anything even though I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Conversation This Evening

I've remained very quiet and listened intently at work over the last week. I have resisted the urge to say anything even though I have heard so much misinformation. This evening, over a drink with several co-workers, I broke my silence.

The subject came up, they were rambling on about banning this and that, why, what, etc. and one of them asked me what I thought. I replied, "It doesn't really matter" but they insisted. So, I calmly and professionally said, "So much debate about what to ban, how much, why, what it looks like, more checks, etc. In the end, what a gun looks like or how much it holds, or more checks would not have changed a thing. CT has some of the strictest gun laws already. Not legal to own unless 21, this guy was 20. He killed and stole guns. No amount of checks would have changed that. I do find fault in his mother not securing her weapons. To me, that is a responsibility that everyone should take seriously. Outside of that, 30 round clip or 10 round, if no one is firing back it doesn't matter if you have to reload one time or three. So called assault weapons do the same thing as revolvers and shotguns. Pull the trigger once, one bullet comes out. Pull it again, another comes out. That doesn't make the person on the other end any more or less dead."

At this point, someone asked, "But why does anyone need a semi-automatic weapon?" I said, "Why does anyone need alcohol like we are drinking now or a car that goes 100 MPH?" Every six weeks the same number of kids are killed at the hands of drunk drivers as were in CT. Every six weeks, week after week, year after year. Yet no one dare suggest banning alcohol or cars. They are willing to accept that risk and death toll to have that freedom. Mankind existed thousands of years on this earth without cars, he could do so again."

I then said, "If the President was serious about making meaningful change, he would personally lead the charge and he would invite the NRA to the table. If we want to really make a difference, let me ask you a question. As a society, how do we protect our money? Armed security. How do we protect our Politicians? Armed security. Why should or kids in our schools be any different? They choose schools because they know there will be no armed resistance. And when it does show up, they off themselves. Harden up our school grounds and buildings and require by law armed security on the premesis. That's the only thing that has any chance of effectively changing these events. If armed security is good enough for the President and the other anti-gun politicians, then why are they against it for our kids? You don't send a fireman to a fire without a hose or extinguisher. If you did, all he could do is stand there and say 'what a shame.' Evil exists in this world and we can't legislate it out of existence. Pretending it won't come in a school because we have banned black rifles and long magazines is crazy. If we are going to invest the time, effort, and energy to go down this road, let's make the trip worth it."

By the end of the conversation, it was like the group had seen the light. I'm not saying they were suddenly pro-gun, but they seemed to truly understand the reality of the situation and why the same old song and dance just can't work.

5 down, 150 Million to go.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I got 3 myself this week... so that's 149,999,997 to go.
    BugDude likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I'm going to have to memorize that speech.

Amen.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bugdude, you are the eloquent man! What's good for the goose should be good for us ganders.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Bugdude, you are the eloquent man! What's good for the goose should be good for us ganders.
    Agreed... but you did still say "clip". Just sayin'.
    brocktice and blanco64 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I used the term knowing it was wrong because in the context of the conversations leading up to that point that was what the group kept referring to them as. I wanted them to know what I was talking about.

That was a brilliant reply BugDude

I wish that I could keep my cool and reasonably articulate the same things. But it also helps if you're talking to reasonable people.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Agreed... but you did still say "clip". Just sayin'.
    He was just condescending to their level, using language that they could comprehend.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Good reply.

I would of liked it twice if it would of let me

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I used the term knowing it was wrong because in the context of the conversations leading up to that point that was what the group kept referring to them as. I wanted them to know what I was talking about.
    Alright, then. I am going to shamelessly plagiarize a good portion of your speech. I am going to interject parts of Kevin Costner's speeches from "Bull Durham" and "JFK" to spice it up some, though.
    BugDude and Darrow75 like this.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If armed security is good enough for the President and the other anti-gun politicians, then why are they against it for our kids?
    This is an especially good point, in my opinion.

Throw in some "I dream of a day when ALL free men can bear arms without having their motives called into question" and you'll have it perfected.

VIP Member
    It does sound like some of the people are coming around. keep it up!

BD, well done!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links