This may be a good time to relax a bit

This is a discussion on This may be a good time to relax a bit within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may be a good time for us to step back and breath a bit as we head into, what will undoubtedly be, a rough ...

Thread: This may be a good time to relax a bit

Distinguished Member

This may be a good time for us to step back and breath a bit as we head into, what will undoubtedly be, a rough time between gun owners and the media and new legislation being proposed. The run on gun sales and ammo has hit what may be a new level of crazy. I was in Gander Mountain this evening and the neophytes asking first timer questions while considering 22 versus 44....it was kind of scary to watch. A week ago Saturday, my favorite gun store sold more than 100 guns in a single day. And half his inventory and crew were at a gun show in Raleigh. He told me that that day was his busiest in 34 years. I have no idea what he sold at the gun show. I was in his shop the other day and my impression was many folks were buying for the first time. A small local shop that I was in yesterday had 3 handguns and maybe twice that number in long guns....that was all he had left to sell. And they were of a quality that nobody would want.

So our ranks are swelling with new gun owners but many of them may not share a common interest, or understanding, of firearms, shooting and safety. In my thinking, this is not helpful to gun advocates. A few mishaps with new gun owners, or veteran gun owners, is not something that will help in the weeks to come. The media will eat it up with a scooping spoon.

So I'm going to:

- Watch the NRA and their stated, public positions
    - Keep an eye on Texas since I expect that state will take a hardened position, pro gun
    - Write my Congressmen based on the issues on the table
    - Refrain from panic buying
    - Make sure that all my serial numbers are accurate and recorded. I think gun thefts will increase and confiscations in LEO encounters "could" increase just a bit.
    - Keep the the reloader cranking along
    - Get to a couple of those trigger jobs that I've been meaning to get around to doing
    - Chill out and see how this plays out

IMO we can become our own worst enemies in a crunch time. Stocking up is one thing, clearing ammo shelves and buying what we wouldn't buy 2 months ago is another thing.

Ok....off the soap box. Sorry for the holier than thou thing. I worry about craziness and guns....they don't seem to mix well.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    I feel pretty much the same way!

I need to do some reloading but I am too unhappy to do it now. All the stuff has to settle in a bit. Then I will be more relaxed and can get back on the press. I am set don't need anything. the panic purchasing has me concerned.

Re: This may be a good time to relax a bit

Well I must admit I did buy a couple cases of ammo online but I was going to do it anyways. Just did it now while it was in stock. Right after I placed my order it went out of stock.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

All this mess did get me to do an inventory of all my guns, mags and ammo which I had been procrastinating on. I am good on everything except ammo. I will fix this when sellers get their stock orders in.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I feel pretty much the same way!

I need to do some reloading but I am too unhappy to do it now. All the stuff has to settle in a bit. Then I will be more relaxed and can get back on the press. I am set don't need anything. the panic purchasing has me concerned.
    +1 I feel the same about all this.

I agree that we need to refrain from buying just to buy. I'm a police officer and don't currently have an AR15, but I thought now might be a good time to get one, or at least a lower, so I can have a personally owned rifle for work should I ever want it. I went to two gun stores today and they had no semi-auto rifles, lowers, or magazines in stock. Not one. I went last week and semi-autos were well over half of the inventory. I'm betting the rifles weren't sold to first time gun owners, but avid shooters who wanted their 10th. I'm not trying to tell others what to do, but a little consideration for others would be nice.

Sponsored Links