For those wishing to inform their legislators...

This is a discussion on For those wishing to inform their legislators... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those wishing to inform their legislators about the false security that reinstatement of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban offers, I have compiled a list ...

Thread: For those wishing to inform their legislators...

For those wishing to inform their legislators...

For those wishing to inform their legislators about the false security that reinstatement of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban offers, I have compiled a list of all the deaths (excluding the shooters) that occured in school shootings after the enactment of the Federal 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.

Feb. 2, 1996 Moses Lake, Wa. Two students and one teacher killed. (3)

Feb. 19, 1997 Bethel, Ak. Principal and one student killed. (2)

Oct. 1, 1997 Pearl, Ms. Two students killed. (2)

Dec. 1, 1997 West Paducah, Ky. Three students killed. (3)

Mar. 24, 1998 Jonesboro, Ar. Four students and one teacher killed. (5)

Apr. 24, 1998 Edinboro, Pa. One teacher, John Gillette, killed. (1)

May 19, 1998 Fayetteville, Tn. One student killed. (1)

May 21, 1998 Springfield, Or. Two students killed. (2)

Apr. 20, 1999 Littleton, Co. Twelve students and one teacher killed. (13)

Nov. 19, 1999 Deming, N.M. One student killed. (1)

Feb. 29, 2000 Mount Morris Township, Mi. One student killed. (1)

Mar. 10, 2000 Savannah, Ga. Two students killed. (2)

May 26, 2000 Lake Worth, Fl. One teacher killed. (1)

Jan. 17, 2001 Baltimore, Md. One student killed. (1)

Mar. 5, 2001 Santee, Ca. Two students killed. (2)

Mar. 30, 2001 Gary, In. One student killed. (1)

Oct. 28, 2002 Tucson, Az. Three professors killed. (3)

Apr. 14, 2003 New Orleans, La. One student killed. (1)

Apr. 24, 2003 Red Lion, Pa. One principal killed. (1)

Sept. 24, 2003 Cold Spring, Mn. Two students killed. (2)

That's a total of 48 people- men, women and mostly children, WHOSE DEATHS WERE NOT PREVENTED by the existence of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.

A duplicate of the Federal 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, currently in place on the Connecticut law books, also DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PREVENT THE SLAUGHTER OF 26 INNOCENTS- meaning that the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban has failed to prevent a total of 74 deaths during its tenure.

Please feel free to "cut and paste" this for use in your communications to our legislators- after all, it's their mess- rub their noses in it when and where appropriate in a "polite" and "non-threatening" manner of course...

Above all else, don't give up. The proposed reinstatement of the 94 AWB isn't by any stretch of the imagination a "done deal".

God Bless!
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

2. Remove Ads

My question for you is how many have died since the ban was lifted in 2004? If it is more than 48 (32+26=58) then you might not want to use that logic.

Mind you, I am not in favor of another AWB, but that would be the first question I would pose to you about your above statement if I was.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    My question for you is how many have died since the ban was lifted in 2004? If it is more than 48 (32+26=58) then you might not want to use that logic.

Mind you, I am not in favor of another AWB, but that would be the first question I would pose to you about your above statement if I was.
    The proper response to that is that we have never addressed the problem correctly- with armed security for our children and our schools.
    My favorite "gun" book-

Actually, another stat could be how many mass shootings happened in gun-free zones ( I saw one report that said,for shootings outside the home, that killed more than three people, since 1950 it was all but one - Congresswoman Gifford).

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm going to point out why your point will fall short in the Antis' minds: Post ban--VA Tech, 32 (?) killed; Sandy Hook, 26 killed, not the 1 or 2 or 3 at a time you pointed out.

I'm not disagreeing with your intent, just that your premise is flawed. It's the number of killings per incident, not the number of incidents, that many find appalling.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Also, how much did the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 do to keep those kids safe?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Also, how much did the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 do to keep those kids safe?
    A fine question gasmitty. We can parse terms and play logic and semantics games all we want, but the until we actually provide secure schools for our children these events will continue. The "gun free" zones are "gun free" only to the law-abiding. For the criminal, they are unrestricted killing zones, free of obstruction and full of targets- our kids.
    My favorite "gun" book-

I dont know about the rest but the 1 in fayetteville tn was with a 22 rifle over a girl i live here.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm going to point out why your point will fall short in the Antis' minds: Post ban--VA Tech, 32 (?) killed; Sandy Hook, 26 killed, not the 1 or 2 or 3 at a time you pointed out.

I'm not disagreeing with your intent, just that your premise is flawed. It's the number of killings per incident, not the number of incidents, that many find appalling.
    That's a serious problem for the anti's who'd argue against the point that I am making- how is even one death a more acceptable option? The anti's selective outrage is rather transparent and appalling all on its own- it's the very height of hypocrisy.
    My favorite "gun" book-

Links