Brutal. New book coming out.

This is a discussion on Brutal. New book coming out. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Same old theme... http://chronicle.com/free/2006/10/2006101105n.htm...

Thread: Brutal. New book coming out.

Assistant Administrator
    Link no worky for me
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Try it again!

Assistant Administrator
    Thx - got it now - well thx I think!

I may have to go take four Tums to deal with my heartburn after reading that thru. Oh my - a classic of anti rhetoric

No wonder we have such polarized groups to deal with, instead of application of logic and common sense. These people are dogmatic beyond any real logic at all - they are running on gut emotion and little else. I do hope any of these types meets up with a true determined criminal with a gun - and then see if they feel any different.

They cannot seem - ever - to compartmentalize and differentiate between the good guys (with guns) and the bad guys (with guns) - they are all lumped together
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    -NRA at or near the top of the "lobbies?" Right. Last I saw it was ranked 14th.

-1 in 3 adults know someone "close" to them who has been shot? Are you serious?!

-"White people don't care about gun violence because its a 'black problem.'" So true. Because white people have NEVER been threatened with a gun or robbed. You've got the be joking. Since when has being any particular skin pigment kept you from gun violence?! [sarcasm]Because, you know, white people never get robbed. Ever. White people just like guns cuz they make a big "boom." [/sarcasm]

-Side note - I love the the fact that the author seems to be really trying to use "big" words. I always felt that people who do this are attempting to add complication or cover to a flawed argument or personal failure. She's an assistance professor at Duke. She shouldn't have to complicate something that, if its so logical, she be easy to clearly explain.

-"But officials in those agencies -- the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms -- quickly learned their lesson. Under pressure from the NRA, Congress either cut their budgets for gun-related activities, restricted their freedom to set agency priorities, or sent the message that supporting gun-violence prevention would cost civil servants their jobs, or all three."
    Do I really need to say anything? How about "attempting to make stats match theory"?

Too much more drivel to even respond to. Yeah.... because once we start repealing the Bill of Rights, it'll stop with guns. ::bangs head on wall:: If I had a teacher that was this back-***wards... man. I would probably just get up and leave and tell her to take her Hitler-esque goosestepping to a different country.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Ron
    As I read the posts in this thread and in the thread about the UK under Law Enforcement, Homeland Security and Military Discussion, it
    seems that we are preaching to the already converted. Don't get me wrong, it is healthy to vent our frustrations, but I hope that many of us are also writing letters for publication in the letters to the editor columns in our local newspapers, pointing out misstated facts, erroneous assumptions, flawed reasoning, etc., where we see it in anti-gun articles. The NRA does a very good job of protecting our right to bear arms, but it probably wouldn't hurt if we all gave them an assist.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    As I read the posts in this thread and in the thread about the UK under Law Enforcement, Homeland Security and Military Discussion, it
    seems that we are preaching to the already converted. Don't get me wrong, it is healthy to vent our frustrations, but I hope that many of us are also writing letters for publication in the letters to the editor columns in our local newspapers, pointing out misstated facts, erroneous assumptions, flawed reasoning, etc., where we see it in anti-gun articles. The NRA does a very good job of protecting our right to bear arms, but it probably wouldn't hurt if we all gave them an assist.

Ron
    The problem with this article and that website or publication that it is in is that we could never get a rebuttal published there anyway. It's the "Higher Education Chronicle". Of course, in that environment, the need for gun cuontrol is a given. The only contrversy is "What the heck is taking so long?" If you try to attack their root assumption, you are evil and ignored or ridiculed.

The good news is that most people don't read it anyway. Of course, the ones who want to educate our kids read it and believe it. Not my kids. Not ever.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Her mentioning how prohibition was passed anyway and then neglecting to mention what it did to America aftewards was one of the funnier things I've ever read.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by sailormnop View Post
    The problem with this article and that website or publication that it is in is that we could never get a rebuttal published there anyway. It's the "Higher Education Chronicle". Of course, in that environment, the need for gun cuontrol is a given. The only contrversy is "What the heck is taking so long?" If you try to attack their root assumption, you are evil and ignored or ridiculed.

The good news is that most people don't read it anyway. Of course, the ones who want to educate our kids read it and believe it. Not my kids. Not ever.
    I agree that we probably can't influence the committed anti-gun crowd, such as reads the Higher Education Chronicle, but, as you said, most of the public don't read that publication anyway. My point is that we might be able to help favorably influence the mainstream public, who have not yet developed an entrenched position on the issue of gun control and the Second Amendment.

Ron

Lew
    Tenured bimbo.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

the "massive million mom march"?????

Is she kidding? No. I forgot. Her type actually believe what they write. Funny how tha bastions of "higher education" don't demand logic, science and reality when it comes to issues like these.

I am afraid it will only be a matter of time...

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by davyray View Post
    I am afraid it will only be a matter of time...

Dave.
    They ain't getting mine. :)

Sponsored Links