Exec Order

This is a discussion on Exec Order within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I do not foresee confiscations, but I think an ex. order to ban some type of guns and magazines has already been written. He is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Exec Order

Distinguished Member
    I do not foresee confiscations, but I think an ex. order to ban some type of guns and magazines has already been written. He is just waiting till after the holidays to spring it on us. It will become "law" immediately. I sure do hope I am wrong.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I do not foresee confiscations, but I think an ex. order to ban some type of guns and magazines has already been written. He is just waiting till after the holidays to spring it on us. It will become "law" immediately. I sure do hope I am wrong.
    you are wrong.

No President has that kind of power.

It would be quikcly deemed unConstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by soonershoote View Post
    I have been spouting this on forums since 2007, been shot down many times....he was just waiting for the right time..
    And where are all those "Obama hasn't messed with my gun rights" posters now. I have said he would wait till after his "last election when he'll have more flexibility" I just expected him to wait till after the "coronation" to do anything; never let a good crises go to waste!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    you are wrong.

No President has that kind of power.

It would be quikcly deemed unConstitutional.
    Yep..... just like the tax for not buying health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Yep..... just like the tax for not buying health insurance.
    that's not evidence for your claim.

got any examples of a POTUS enacting NEW laws by executive order?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    $20 says there will be NO federal gun confiscations.
    The only thing I can guarantee is that any federal confiscation of my guns will be posthumous.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    The only thing I can guarantee is that any federal confiscation of my guns will be posthumous.
    I will give them all my guns after I first give them all my bullets.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Exec Order

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I will give them all my guns after I first give them all my bullets.
    Heh, that's a clever turn of phrase :-) .

Re: Exec Order

He can pass all the bogus laws he wants. Doesn't mean he's going to get all the guns turned in.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It's only a 'test balloon', and this one isn't going very far.
    I hope your right.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Some of you need to re-take your high school civics class.

2 ways a Presidential EO can be overturned.

1: 2/3 majority vote by both the house and senate. [290 votes in the house, 67 votes in the senate].

2: SCOTUS ruling.

The president can not write laws, only recommend or suggest. He has cronies do that work for him. Any law that gets made ultimately has the meddling of 535 career politicians behind it in some fashion ~ at least that is how it is supposed to work, In truth we have a problem with corruption and "I don't give a crap, I'm just here to draw my pay, collect my tips from special interest groups [Votes for sale] and get that lifetime retirement and benefit package".

Now, in the possible event that the high chair does EO something along the lines of this discussion, ALL GUN OWNERS need to be writing ALL LEGISLATORS, not just the ones from their state, telling them NO - do not let this Constitution and Bill of Rights trampling go on. For the love of the gods, if you can't do it logically, civilly, and refrain from making threats, then stay out of it, because you will do more harm than good right now.

All the comments of, "From my cold dead hands, Try it, I dare ya', Bullets first, Etc...", I appreciate and share your passion, but save it for later if needed. Right now that just tells them we are gun toting nut jobs and reinforces their desire to pass such legislation, and likely places you at the top of the list for the knock at the door, giving them their example to the nation proving their point.

HEADLINE: Extremist barricades self in home and engages in firefight with authorities. 50 illegal firearms and over 40k rounds of ammunition and explosive devices found inside home. 3 officers killed, 5 wounded in the firefight that were just doing their job.
    When in reality you only had 3 firearms and less than 1k rounds of ammunition, plus a few fireworks. There may or may not have been an exchange of gunfire, but the information given to the media will reflect whatever they want. Far fetched? Maybe, but how many times has the Govt fed disinformation to the media? It took a while but the FBI did eventually get a bloody nose over Waco. The CIA, FBI, and other acronym agencies got theirs over 9/11. The ATF got theirs in Fast and Furious.

Both parties right now are loaded with their batpoo crazy extremists, and both are doing their best to technically kill the other party. This might be the beginning to the political reset button - which we definitely need. Format and restore to last known good operating system. Get rid of this government "Vista" and go back to XP Pro.
    Darrow75 and brocktice like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Some of you need to re-take your high school civics class.

2 ways a Presidential EO can be overturned.

1: 2/3 majority vote by both the house and senate. [290 votes in the house, 67 votes in the senate].

2: SCOTUS ruling.

The president can not write laws
    I see a huge amount of hysteria in many posts here and sadly that hysteria comes from poor, poor, and very poor,
    understanding of how our government works.

1) Please note that a president can not write laws. Sticks got that part correct.
    2) He can direct a Department or an Agency to write rules or regulations on some issue, but those regulations must (national security and a few other items excluded) be published in The Federal Register, a comment period for public comment must be
    given, the Agency must study the public comments and publish responses in The Federal Register and Publish the final
    rules in The Federal Register before they can take effect. Usually, these things take years to percolate.

3) All EOs and all rules and regulations, must be consistent with existing law. One reason it takes forever to get final rules
    published is because once they are announced a bazillion special interest group lawyers pour over them looking for
    inconsistencies with existing law or constitution; and file suit to block things.

The bottom line here is that except for command of the military and conduct of foreign policy, a president is about as
    far from being able to be a dictator as one might get; they are lucky if they can order anything much at all besides their lunch.

4) Congress can overturn any regulation with the creation of a law. That takes a simple majority. Yes, a president might veto
    a new law, and then the numbers Sticks posted would be required, but in the ordinary course of events a plain old law
    will suffice to undo an Agency rule or regulation. Typically, the judges throw the monkey wrench into the workings long
    before Congress even knows there is something to be dealt with.
    brocktice and Doghandler like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links