A Way to Stop The Gun Ban. Sign The Petition

This is a discussion on A Way to Stop The Gun Ban. Sign The Petition within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber Need more votes! Whatever your critique vote first type later :whip: Ok, I'm actually going to disagree. No offense to the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A Way to Stop The Gun Ban. Sign The Petition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    Need more votes!

Whatever your critique vote first type later :whip:
    Ok, I'm actually going to disagree. No offense to the OP but poorly worded and, in some ways, unhelpful petitions are not going to do anything to support our rights.

I'm all for the whole petition the Whitehouse thing, but if you have any desire to be taken seriously, it needs to be free of gramatical errors and make logical sense in its defense of the Second Amendment. Most importantly, it really needs to be started and promoted through an organized group that has the potential to really saturate a large volume of people. Three dozen homegrown petitions that get a few thousand signatures isn't going to generate much in the way of attention. The NRA, or some other organization, needs to head up a petition and promote it.

I'm all for action and please believe that I do think we need to stand together as a group, but everybody running in separate directions just for the sake of moving isn't the answer, IMO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Ok, I'm actually going to disagree. No offense to the OP but poorly worded and, in some ways, unhelpful petitions are not going to do anything to support our rights.

I'm all for the whole petition the Whitehouse thing, but if you have any desire to be taken seriously, it needs to be free of gramatical errors and make logical sense in its defense of the Second Amendment. Most importantly, it really needs to be started and promoted through an organized group that has the potential to really saturate a large volume of people. Three dozen homegrown petitions that get a few thousand signatures isn't going to generate much in the way of attention. The NRA, or some other organization, needs to head up a petition and promote it.

I'm all for action and please believe that I do think we need to stand together as a group, but everybody running in separate directions just for the sake of moving isn't the answer, IMO.
    Okay ... I am cool with that.. Then we need to rally together and create a petition that we all feel comfortable to sign. I know nothing about drafting petitions so maybe we have one already out there or we need to get one going
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Okay ... I am cool with that.. Then we need to rally together and create a petition that we all feel comfortable to sign. I know nothing about drafting petitions so maybe we have one already out there or we need to get one going
    I agree. IMO, what we should do is start a thread and sticky it so everyone can find it all the time. Use that thread to create a well worded, simple petition that is singular in purpose; to halt any new firearm legislation that interferes with our Second Amendment rights.

Once it was finalized, we would need to push it out to every firearm forum and every pro-2A contact that everybody has. Facebook, blogs, everything... With enough momentum and enough endorsement from businesses and pro-2A personalities, it might get enough votes to raise an eyebrow.

Sounds like a plan.. Do we need to have a mod sponsor this?
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    If it's going to be something "official" then I would imagine that someone in management (those with maroon, blue or teal colored names) probably should head it up. Assuming that they are interested in doing something of the sort, of course.

I read it and I can't sign it although I oppose the AWB. It is poorly worded and reads like its throwing handguns under the bus for the sake of Assult weapons. How is that a win situation? Lets redirect the administration to focus on taking away handguns now. Good idea.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I agree. IMO, what we should do is start a thread and sticky it so everyone can find it all the time. Use that thread to create a well worded, simple petition that is singular in purpose; to halt any new firearm legislation that interferes with our Second Amendment rights.
    The hard part will be generating a document to which the community can make changes without letting it turn into a mad house. I think we will need a small steering group, e.g. four to six of us, to manage the document and make the edits, otherwise we run the risk of everyone overwriting each others efforts. We could use a free service like Google docs to hold and display the document (for everybody) and then the steering group can evaluate the change requests and suggestions, which could be posted in sticky and make the edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Without collective and organized effort, Liberals will slowly chip away at the very rights they think harm them.

Take action Sign the Petition and make a difference

God Bless America all

Here is the link.

Link here it is.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...dment/8NQBLtCT

A note. The petition takes 150 signatures to show up on the sight. Hope your support will at least make a voice heard
    My suggestion is to start with what Magnus already put together and move from there... Also he should be one of the 6

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My suggestion is to start with what Magnus already put together and move from there... Also he should be one of the 6
    Magnus is welcome to join and participate. Are you saying that you would like to be on the committee too?
    Here is Magnus', disected with my commentary (>>>). I think we need to start with defining our objective and then list our supporting evidence, possibly followed by an alternative proposition.
    Government wants control.
    >>> Bad opening as it puts the reader, the govt, immediately on the defensive

Switzerland one of the highest Assault weapons ownership in the world has minor crime in comparison.
    >>> One, clarification and definition needed on "assault". I think it would be better to illustrate how semi automatic rifles are not "assault" weapons. Two, we need to double check the figures on Switzerland and also be very careful about any causal relationships we try to establish by analogy.

Education is fundamental in deterring gun violence.
    >>> True statement.

President Obamas agenda to Disarm Americans now pushing for Extreme Measures.
    >>> Inflamatory remark. Will be counterproductive.

If this administration succeeds we will fall like many other nations who had their guns taken away.
    >>> Sounds like tin foil hat talk.

FBI data shows most murders are done with handguns which Obama fails to mention plague in his home town Chicago with the Strictest Gun Laws.
    >>> Undoubtedly true (reference suggested). Should also be worded in a manner that doesn't try to place blame.

Nothing ever said about how many crimes are averted due to gun ownership.
    >>>This is also generally true. It is also statistically hard to quantify.

In 2010 only 358 rifles were used Yet 1704 Knives were used to kill someone Yet 6009 Handgunns were used according to the Authorities.
    >>> What is the conclusion that the author is trying to draw with this? It sounds like it is making a case for banning handguns.

Allow this to happen and only Criminals will have guns.
    >>> this sounds cliche, but it is true. We should find a way to better phrase this.
    Object to the Assault weapon Ban
    >>> This is the objective.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Magnus is welcome to join and participate. Are you saying that you would like to be on the committee too?
    Here is Magnus', disected with my commentary (>>>). I think we need to start with defining our objective and then list our supporting evidence, possibly followed by an alternative proposition.
    Not really. I think the six should be folks who are in the legal field or in communications.. I am in neither!

-James Earl Jones

This might sound like a reaaly wild and thinking out of the box idea but why don't we let the NRA and GOA and individual state gun orgs take the lead in writing a petition. It would mean more, garnish more signatures, be sponsred by recognized groups, and that is why you are paying your dues..........
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This might sound like a reaaly wild and thinking out of the box idea but why don't we let the NRA and GOA and individual state gun orgs take the lead in writing a petition. It would mean more, garnish more signatures, be sponsred by recognized groups, and that is why you are paying your dues..........
    Sounds like a great option... Would you like to take lead on contacting them suntzu?... Or finding someone who has connections in one of those organizations?

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Need a petition to sign? Pick one or six:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions
    If you genuinely believe he will be swayed, read here where he has already made up our minds for us as responsible gun owners:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...paign=shorturl
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Sounds like a great option... Would you like to take lead on contacting them suntzu?... Or finding someone who has connections in one of those organizations?
    You truly jest LOL. But I was serious about the idea.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You truly jest LOL. But I was serious about the idea.
    No joke, it sounds like a great idea... As the idea originator it would only be fair for you to take lead.. Unless you don't feel like it

-James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links