Wayne LaPierre???

This is a discussion on Wayne LaPierre??? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been an NRA member for 20+ years, and may get crucified for saying this, but I often worry that the message has become secondary ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Wayne LaPierre???

Wayne LaPierre???

I've been an NRA member for 20+ years, and may get crucified for saying this, but I often worry that the message has become secondary to the messenger (LaPierre). The exact same message as that put forth by the NRA in response to the Newtown tragedy might have been better served by another messenger.

Am I alone in my sentiments? Is it time for a change to the public face of the NRA? The message can't change and was mostly spot on, but the messenger seems to have become a distraction.

Thoughts?
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think any point person for the NRA will be vilified. LaPierre has been vilified because of his message, not because of his character.

What kind of messenger would be more effective? One that is more conciliatory? One that is more "reasonable?"

I think the media perception will be binary - either the speaker adheres to 2A and is a heartless, thoughtless gun nut, or is willing to pull back from the 2A and is thus "more enlightened."
    Last edited by PEF; December 23rd, 2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Typo - not --> nut

I was fine with everything he said...
    Joey, DPro.40, pittypat21 and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think Wayne said what needed to be said, and set the tone for whats to come. Best defense is often a good offense. The NRA didn't do anything wrong as it pertains to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings, neither did your or I, or did our guns. It's not the gun, it's the evil doer. What better approach to take then offer real solutions, as the NRA has consistently done.

I left the NRA back when George H. Walker Bush was POTUS, when the NRA and Wayne went off on their "jack booted thugs" campaign against ATF agents. I thought it was wrong to compare federal agents that were doing their jobs to Nazi's. Still think it was ill advised. Over the years the NRA has come back around, and they are truly the best and strongest voice for 2nd Amendment and it's in our best interest I believe, to support them. There are other advocates, but none with the membership of the NRA.

Together, we'll prevail, because it's intellectually dishonest to blame a tool, for an evil persons actions.

Be safe.
    Tangle, ppkheat and soonershoote like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

There is an arrogance and confrontational style that tends to obscure his message. I think he is a pompous ass and that the NRA would be better served by someone who has more dignity and grace.

youre not the first ive heard to mention this...

He has been the voice and messenger since I was a teen. And that's been 30 something years ago.

He has served well over the years, and I think he is still doing well.

Arrogance? Why should we be humble under attack? What do we have to be ashamed of?

Try the " dignity and grace " thing when somebody sucker punches you and let me know how that worked out.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I dunno, what else would you expect from the NRA? I think he spoke pretty well and hit most of the important topics. I also thought it was very respectful to stay calm and silent during the two liberal nuttards interrupting his speech. Why make yourself look more dis-liked by butting in? They got their several seconds of fame and Wayne just continued on like it was no big deal. He's a hell of alot more reserved than I am!
    KBSR likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm satisfied with the job he is doing for us.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I think he is a pompous ass and that the NRA would be better served by someone who has more dignity and grace.
    Maybe Nancy Pelosi fits.
    OD* likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    There is an arrogance and confrontational style that tends to obscure his message. I think he is a pompous ass and that the NRA would be better served by someone who has more dignity and grace.
    Maybe we can get Ted Nugent to replace him. That should win us a few converts.

Wayne has a very difficult job, not one I'd want. He speaks for a very diverse membership, with many different views. He's not about to mince words, and he stands up for us in the face of bitter enemies. IMO he does a good job, and needs our backing, not our second guessing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Arrogance? Why should we be humble under attack? What do we have to be ashamed of?

His style may stoke the fires of the choir but but if his goal is to convert some in the congregation..... his style is not helping his cause!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    I hear this a lot. And then I also hear the same observations with respect to the vocal proponents on the left. And the left tends to get its message out loud and clear, while the right tends to be more "conservative" and less "confrontational." Look where that's got us on messaging.

Being the point on a emotional and confrontational issue requires a certain personality. I'm not sure how the NRA is to counter arguments regarding "assault weapons" with dignity and grace. What was undignified about his message? What was lacking in grace? Not rhetorical questions - I'm genuinely curious.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    His style may stoke the fires of the choir but but if his goal is to convert some in the congregation..... his style is not helping his cause!
    Look, to all those that don't like his style - what are you looking for? Do you really think a soft-spoken intellectual that punctuated his arguments with empathetic pauses and teary eyes would better serve the cause? Really, what do you want - I'd like to know.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I think any point person for the NRA will be vilified. LaPierre has been vilified because of his message, not because of his character.

What kind of messenger would be more effective? One that is more conciliatory? One that is more "reasonable?"

I think the media perception will be binary - either the speaker adheres to 2A and is a heartless, thoughtless gun nut, or is willing to pull back from the 2A and is thus "more enlightened."

^^^^^^A female^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've always liked Wayne, don't get me wrong. BUT,
    Marion Hammer made incredible inroads when she was President.
    They need to have another female president, AND have Wayne step down, and get a woman in to repalce him.
    Its our only hope right now.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links