NRA Chief LaPierre: 'Call Me Crazy'

This is a discussion on NRA Chief LaPierre: 'Call Me Crazy' within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "If it's crazy to call for armed officers in our schools to protect our children, then call me crazy," the head of the powerful gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: NRA Chief LaPierre: 'Call Me Crazy'

"If it's crazy to call for armed officers in our schools to protect our children, then call me crazy," the head of the powerful gun lobby said today on NBC's "Meet the Press."
    NRA Chief LaPierre: 'Call Me Crazy' - Yahoo! News
    DPro.40 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately LaPierre has done more harm than good. Even the Republicans are not buying into his ideas. Lots of negative press from all quarters about his interview. Armed guards at schools is a sensible idea but hardly new. It is done in many areas as well at other places like stadiums, etc.. In fact, there was an armed guard at Columbine and it did no good. Sometimes it is not what you say but how you say it that counts and Wayne comes off as what non gun owners think of when they think "gun nut". We need to win over the hearts and minds of the great majority of those who are on the fence about gun control and not drive them to the dark side. :)

Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post
    Unfortunately LaPierre has done more harm than good. Even the Republicans are not buying into his ideas. Lots of negative press from all quarters about his interview. Armed guards at schools is a sensible idea but hardly new. It is done in many areas as well at other places like stadiums, etc.. In fact, there was an armed guard at Columbine and it did no good. Sometimes it is not what you say but how you say it that counts and Wayne comes off as what non gun owners think of when they think "gun nut". We need to win over the hearts and minds of the great majority of those who are on the fence about gun control and not drive them to the dark side. :)
    The Government tried winning over the hearts and minds of the Vietnamese people. The Marines had a better idea. You dont bargain or try to persuade for your rights, you stand on them, period.
    Crowman, mano3, DandLfam and 7 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

not interested in winning over the hearts of the liberal-left. I want the liberal-left and all others that are calling for gun bans to leave the Second Amendment alone. It was put there for a reason by men
    much smarter than the group that say they are "running the country today". The most chilling thing besides the actual shootings themselve is that China is calling for the American people to immediately be disarmed. That statement alone means we should fight with every ounce we have left to make sure we are NOT.

BTW, when I worked in Texas years ago, every Independent School District had their very own police force. I assume that is still in place. Not a retired LEO, not a volunteer,
    but actual certified police officers much like University campuses have.
    When was the last time you heard of a mass school shooting in Texas? Wayne is right on the money. Establish an armed presence in every school. The shootings will stop. The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun....or several with a badge.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The antis are bunch of Hypocrites. 3 days ago they proposed putting National Guard in schools to guard them. So the NRA is nuts but they are not...?

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rotect-schools

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VIP Member
    Good luck with that.

Seriously, you are buying into the narrative of the main stream media. Please name one person that would present the same message as LaPierre and not be vilified and described as an extremist.

Also, please name the Republicans that are not buying into his ideas. Joe Scarborough? Anyone else?

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    not interested in winning over the hearts of the liberal-left. I want the liberal-left and all others that are calling for gun bans to leave the Second Amendment alone.
    I absolutely concur with you here. Since this whole thing began, I have been saying drop the damned ban talk and we can start making real progress instead of fighting.

I am starting to suspect that the ban talk is coming from the uber-left and that many less vocal individuals are, if not opposed, at least not receptive to it. My mother, for example, if very Liberal and 'hates guns' but doesn't believe we should ban anything. I also don't think that it will get very far politically (US House) and amounts to a bunch of bluster. I have noticed that the (only ?)supporters of Sen. Frankenstein's ban bill are from places we typically call People's Republics anyway, like NY. No surprise there.
    However, as the guy I was talking to in my LGS put it, it is going to take months before things begin to settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    The antis are bunch of Hypocrites. 3 days ago they proposed putting National Guard in schools to guard them. So the NRA is nuts but they are not...?

Boxer bill would allow National Guard to protect schools - The Hill's Floor Action

It's a good idea because they wanted to do it. If the NRA would have said it then we're crazy. The politics makes me crazy.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Unfortunately LaPierre has done more harm than good. Even the Republicans are not buying into his ideas.
    The republicans don't need to "buy" his ideas; the PEOPLE need to buy these ideas and then act.
    Where is it said only republicans understand these issues? Last time I checked, our reps are supposed to work for the people; not against us.
    I fully understand this would be in a perfect world; which none of us live in.

LaPierre IMO did a great job.

The interviewer was an idiot! Hypothetical questions are meaningless. I especially enjoyed how the interviewer did not ask questions; rather he continued in his Q&A to spew his opinions.

Asked if Mr. LaPierre would support this or that, I think LaPierre missed the boat in saying "How can I answer w/o seeing it!"

Could LaPierre of done better? Sure; there is always room to improve. In light of this type of ambush journalism, LaPierre did a great job.

I respect LaPierre on several fronts.

1) He was not afraid to walk into the liberal's lair to answer questions.

Going into FOX to do a interview would be preaching to the choir.

2) He stood by his convictions.

Being popular is not always what is best. History is replete with examples of leaders doing what may not be popular; yet at the end of the day we see it was the right decision.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Good luck with that.

Seriously, you are buying into the narrative of the main stream media. Please name one person that would present the same message as LaPierre and not be vilified and described as an extremist.

Also, please name the Republicans that are not buying into his ideas. Joe Scarborough? Anyone else?
    I agree. Lets count the pro gun groups putting themselves out there besides the NRA.....(crickets).....I think trashing the NRA from a Pro gunner is like trashing the chef at the only restaurant in town.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    I agree. Lets count the pro gun groups putting themselves out there besides the NRA.....(crickets).....I think trashing the NRA from a Pro gunner is like trashing the chef at the only restaurant in town.
    SAF has been all over the news. Alan Gottlieb is an excellent spokesperson

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: NRA Chief LaPierre: 'Call Me Crazy'

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    SAF has been all over the news. Alan Gottlieb is an excellent spokesperson
    I will be supporting them more in the future. The bit about armed guards in schools was not the crazy part of his speech, IMO.

A little off-topic, I admit. But, follow the $$$$$$. IF you are a for-profit corporation then you will have armed protection. Follow the profits... 9/11 happens and we now have Federal Air Marshalls. Anyone complain about that move? I haven't heard it.

The left talking heads ride to work in limos, work in secured buildings, and their children go to private, secure schools. These people have zero security concerns. You think they are worried about your security???
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

The only complaint I have about his speech is blaming video games and movies. Like RightsEroding, I thought it was great that he calmly paused while the idiots got shuttled to the door.
    brocktice likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    The only complaint I have about his speech is blaming video games and movies. Like RightsEroding, I thought it was great that he calmly paused while the idiots got shuttled to the door.
    It would have been better if, instead of blaming video games, he referenced them as an example of a pop culture that glorifies violence that could improperly influence someone who already has mental issues. The solution is the same, proper parenting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links