Gun ban update: Michael Bane claims to have 'inside source' on legislation - Page 4

Gun ban update: Michael Bane claims to have 'inside source' on legislation

This is a discussion on Gun ban update: Michael Bane claims to have 'inside source' on legislation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sticks Reeeeeeeallly? Better start grasping the unthinkable. This is one serious situation that we all need to be thinking worst case scenario. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Gun ban update: Michael Bane claims to have 'inside source' on legislation

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Reeeeeeeallly? Better start grasping the unthinkable. This is one serious situation that we all need to be thinking worst case scenario. Because if we lay back and say "Nah, they won't go that far" then we will have failed in our diligence, and the support that we could have gotten from the "OK to compromise" end of the gun owner crowd will be lost.
    I mean, I think they can't afford a buy-back, and the threat of confiscation will draw enough ire and outrage that it will be beaten back. That's not to say I don't think they might try for it.

Remember the words of 0bama shortly after the CT atrocity...when he said something to the effect of "if we can save one child, then it is worth trying..."

Emotions, my friends...their currency in this current battle is emotions...

How do we argue again the children, when our population is showing a rapid decline in civic knowledge, and emotionalism is the rage...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I mean, I think they can't afford a buy-back, and the threat of confiscation will draw enough ire and outrage that it will be beaten back. That's not to say I don't think they might try for it.
    Once they establish the premise that fewer guns = less violence, it's only a matter of time before a near total ban is in place.

Just look at how the smokers rights have been eroded over the past 30 years. Imagine if you went back in time and told people that the govt was going to make it illegal to smoke in indoor public places, on the beach, on sidewalks near buildings, and now they are working on making it illegal in homes with children. That would have seemed crazy when a majority of Americans smoked, but they did it slowly and methodically, even though there is little to no science that second hand smoke is dangerous.

Learn from history.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The weapons ban of 1994 (?) had no measurable effect on gun crimes, why would one now be more effective. Also, with the number of legal and illegal guns presently on the street a new ban, IMO, would have little or no effect in our lifetime. If there aren't any guns, there are other legal weapons to be used, such as used in the Stone Age . Do we not have any elected officials that have common sense, I know most are brainless....
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    We had our family Christmas Lunch yesterday, probably 25 adults there. Now this group is almost all rural folks that have grown up with lots of guns and all are avid outdoors people who take their hunting and fishing very seriously and if there was single person in the group that voted for Obama, I'd be very surprised . I said all that to put in perspective what came next. We got to talking about gun bans and mass shootings and everyone there, except me, saw no need for anyone owning an AR type rifle or any rifle magazine over 5 rounds. Now this is not a bunch of east coast liberals, I'm talk'n a bunch of Arkansas born and bred, southern rednecks. Everyone of them owns enough guns to cause Nancy
    Pelosi to have a heart attack and most belong to the NRA, but they just don't see the danger of an AWB and magazine ban and don't think that it will effect them.
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

You expect the far left to have the anti gun position......... Unfortunately...... I am hearing from some VERY conservative folks that say the same thing..........

Again..... Unfortunately, i think we will be stuck with 10 rounds or less magazines, with possession after a certain date a felony, along with no FTF sales..........

If grandma from Texas cant be convinced...... We have some troubles......

I ve been trying to politely disagree with these folks, but without much success.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I didn't look this up yet, but the awb in 1994 passed by under 10 votes, maybe it was closer to 6. And that was with many more dems than in the current congress. Given the current makeup, I don't think the AWB has a chance of passing.

10 round limits though I think will happen, as will needing certification from a medical professional that you are not mentally ill prior to getting a permit. And probably registration at gun shows for purchases. That is the compromise legislation that will get passed IMHO.

I'm working on some letters to my government reps in my area and would like to see any examples of letters that anyone else has sent. I just want to make sure I hit all of the talking points with valid well thought out arguments against gun control. So what do you think anybody want to post up a sample letter?

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    Once they establish the premise that fewer guns = less violence, it's only a matter of time before a near total ban is in place.

Just look at how the smokers rights have been eroded over the past 30 years. Imagine if you went back in time and told people that the govt was going to make it illegal to smoke in indoor public places, on the beach, on sidewalks near buildings, and now they are working on making it illegal in homes with children. That would have seemed crazy when a majority of Americans smoked, but they did it slowly and methodically, even though there is little to no science that second hand smoke is dangerous.

Learn from history.
    Smoking isn't a right endowed by our Creator and specifically listed in The Constitution.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Gun ban update: Michael Bane claims to have 'inside source' on legislation

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    I'm working on some letters to my government reps in my area and would like to see any examples of letters that anyone else has sent. I just want to make sure I hit all of the talking points with valid well thought out arguments against gun control. So what do you think anybody want to post up a sample letter?
    There are some threads here including one of mine. I can find links later if you are having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Smoking isn't a right endowed by our Creator and specifically listed in The Constitution.
    Do you believe Bloomberg, Feinstein, Cuomo, the brady campain, Eric Holder, the POTUS, or anyone else using these tragedies to push gun control really believe that personal gun ownership is a right?

Here is a video with Eric Holder stating that we need to make our children think guns are uncool in the same way we have changed how they think about cigarettes:

1995 - AG Eric Holder: We Must 'Brainnwash' People on Guns - YouTube

A quick google search turned up this article on banning guns incrementally in order to keep the public from being outraged, and it also states that "We must make guns expensive and unpopular, just like cigarettes."

Daily Kos: How to Ban Guns: A step by step, long term process

This is the playbook. They don't think the bill of rights applies anymore, not when they have 'the greater good' on their side. Just look at what is happening to our 4th and 5th amendments over the last two decades.

Obama Signs the NDAA. Goodbye 4th Amendment

Scandal Alert: Congress Is Quietly Abandoning the 5th Amendment - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

I'm not saying that they won't try it and won't necessarily win some battles along the way. I'm saying that there is at least one sizeable roadblock in place called The Bill of Rights that wasn't part of the anti smoking battle. Your argument about incrementalism is not something I dismiss out of hand, but I'm saying this is a much tougher battle for the anti's that they will still wage. The fact that it will be more difficult for their side certainly doesn't mean they won't push for it, or that we sit back and take it, hoping The Bill of Rights does the heavy lifting for our side.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    We had our family Christmas Lunch yesterday, probably 25 adults there. Now this group is almost all rural folks that have grown up with lots of guns and all are avid outdoors people who take their hunting and fishing very seriously and if there was single person in the group that voted for Obama, I'd be very surprised . I said all that to put in perspective what came next. We got to talking about gun bans and mass shootings and everyone there, except me, saw no need for anyone owning an AR type rifle or any rifle magazine over 5 rounds. Now this is not a bunch of east coast liberals, I'm talk'n a bunch of Arkansas born and bred, southern rednecks. Everyone of them owns enough guns to cause Nancy Pelosi to have a heart attack and most belong to the NRA, but they just don't see the danger of an AWB and magazine ban and don't think that it will effect them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    The question we need to be asking ourselves is;

How do we get the compromise crowd [~anyone willing to give up something or see no reason to need something, ex- high cap mags, form and function furniture] to get on board with those of us that are firm on the NO MORE LEGISLATION line?
    ^^^^^^^^These are the people that say^^^^

" aahhhh so what, I don't need a 30 rnd mag or a 16 round pistol mag , or a semi auto,,,,,,,
    As long as its not their OX being gored, they will not care enough to see the forest for the trees, and that incrementally this is how the rights/privleges/freedoms are eroded.

We must Hang Together Or Surely We Shall Hang Seperately-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post

Learn from history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    He is just using this as a reference point as most people can identify with how smoking bans evolved, a point that I was stressing 15-20 years ago to people.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    While you waste your time talking about bans and what congress will or will not allow you miss the train about to run you over.
    Obama never cared about any of this he told you his plan years ago and he is on track. He will by pass all of this in the end.
    He will appoint one more justice to the Supreme court and rule the 2nd does not apply to the people but to the Government and you are done.
    he told he would do it and he will. Once he appoints that one more justice he will control the court and do what ever he wants.
    Enjoy you voted for him I did not.
    You were the only person that didn't vote or Obama? No wonder he won...

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Here is one I wrote and just sent out. Hope it helps.

Constructive Criticism Please...Letter to my Representatives

"A point I'd like to make here...I have seen criticism on other sites of the NRA and various strategies. My friends, this needs to end NOW! The battle lines are drawn, and they are the lines we will fight on. The NRA will lead that battle, with SAF, GOA and NSSF — and every one of us — providing support. If we survive this, we can have long, penetrating, pointless discussions over "angels dancing on the head of a pin" doctrine and who we do or don't like. In the meantime, STAND DOWN! As the flag says, "Join, Or Die."

This is the key statement in the whole thing. We must join as one or go down as many. Period. End of story. This is what has been happening in all areas of our nation for the last several years. The great divider has done just that. He has divided people that would have otherwise come together for the greater cause. He has them fighting among one another over stupid details. In the end we all lose big and they win.

Do not let this happen to the second amendment and our right to own and enjoy a firearm. One Voice!!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links