Why is David Gregory not under arrest?

This is a discussion on Why is David Gregory not under arrest? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I sense naivete and skepticism within in The Force. ... The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 83
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Why is David Gregory not under arrest?

  1. #61
    Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    1,882

    Re: Why is David Gregory not under arrest?

    I sense naivete and skepticism within in The Force.

    ...
    The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #62
    VIP Member
    Array Echo_Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of the mostly free
    Posts
    2,624
    This thread simply amazes me. For a bunch of people that oppose asinine restrictions on magazine capacity and that go nuts if we believe that the police in any way act in opposition to rights we believe we have regarding firearms, the gun world has lost its mind.

    The facts we have:
    Mr. Gregory held up an object that appeared to be a 30 round magazine on a television show taped within the District of Columbia. He then said that the magazine held 30 rounds. Some forum regulars and a blogger noticed that this is not legal and called the DC police. We then learn that the reporter had been told he could not be in possession of the magazine in the city for any reason. The police are now investigating.

    That's it. That's all we know. The police did not witness him commit the crime. You really can't arrest a person for a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of a peace officer without a warrant. To get a warrant you have to show the judge evidence that a crime was committed. The video never shows clearly that the object is, in fact, an operational 30 round magazine. Upon asking Mr. Gregory he could quite simply state that it was a prop, that it had been altered or rendered unusuable, or any number of things that would make possession legal. Thus unless they get someone at NBC to attest to the fact that it was a working magazine or they get their hands on the magazine an arrest cannot be made. Since this has received national attention I'm sure that some effort is being put into the matter, if for no other reason than to get gun owners off their backs. If they manage to come up with enough evidence to convince a judge to sign a warrant he'll be arrested. He'll post bond, the DA will decide not to pursue charges, and the story will die. It would work the exact same way as if I went and took a video of me holding an AK magazine in front of the Washington Monument and some anti sent the tape to the DC police. They really do have much bigger things to worry about but some cursory effort would be made just to avoid getting slaughtered in the eyes of public opinion.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

  4. #63
    Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    1,882

    Re: Why is David Gregory not under arrest?

    I heard that Gregory fished it out of LaPierre's pocket and LaPierre was too embarrassed to call him on it.

    ...
    Of all the absurd things I have ever written I like this one the most.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

  5. #64
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    This thread simply amazes me. For a bunch of people that oppose asinine restrictions on magazine capacity and that go nuts if we believe that the police in any way act in opposition to rights we believe we have regarding firearms, the gun world has lost its mind.

    The facts we have:
    Mr. Gregory held up an object that appeared to be a 30 round magazine on a television show taped within the District of Columbia. He then said that the magazine held 30 rounds. Some forum regulars and a blogger noticed that this is not legal and called the DC police. We then learn that the reporter had been told he could not be in possession of the magazine in the city for any reason. The police are now investigating.

    That's it. That's all we know. The police did not witness him commit the crime. You really can't arrest a person for a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of a peace officer without a warrant. To get a warrant you have to show the judge evidence that a crime was committed. The video never shows clearly that the object is, in fact, an operational 30 round magazine. Upon asking Mr. Gregory he could quite simply state that it was a prop, that it had been altered or rendered unusuable, or any number of things that would make possession legal. Thus unless they get someone at NBC to attest to the fact that it was a working magazine or they get their hands on the magazine an arrest cannot be made. Since this has received national attention I'm sure that some effort is being put into the matter, if for no other reason than to get gun owners off their backs. If they manage to come up with enough evidence to convince a judge to sign a warrant he'll be arrested. He'll post bond, the DA will decide not to pursue charges, and the story will die. It would work the exact same way as if I went and took a video of me holding an AK magazine in front of the Washington Monument and some anti sent the tape to the DC police. They really do have much bigger things to worry about but some cursory effort would be made just to avoid getting slaughtered in the eyes of public opinion.
    Where on earth do you live ? A Warrant would be needed.... ?? Are you joking. Any officer who believes a crime has been committed, and has evidence the crime has been committed, can arrest someone .... he sure doesn't need a "warrant" signed off by a Judge. About all that would take is watching the broadcast on Youtube, that's enough "cause" right there to investigate, and most likely make an arrest. I think they take it more seriously than you think they do.... especially since the Police Dept advised NBC in "advance" NOT to do it or have one, and that it would be illegal. NBC is shoving it in their face ......

    The mag doesn't have to be "operative" , it only has to be capable of making it "operative" ..... videos I saw... shows it was likely an operative magazine. Having the spring, etc. removed does not make it legal.

    As far as gun enthusiasist saying something..... that's pretty easy,...... if you are going to have the stupid laws, then they apply to everyone "equally" ..... even if it were President Obama standing in DC holding one, let alone an anti-gun guy like David Gregory........ who by the way sends his kids to school at Sidwell, who on a normal basis..... have 11 armed guards at the school..... while he was asking Lapierre , " do you really think it's practical to have armed guards in schools? " .

    I think that makes it a rather fair assumption to describe him as a hypocrite.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  6. #65
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    Do we not have bigger fish to fry than 5 pages of dialog this issue... Just saying........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  7. #66
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Do we not have bigger fish to fry than 5 pages of dialog this issue... Just saying........
    then ignore the thread and go read another one....
    ksholder likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  8. #67
    VIP Member
    Array Echo_Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of the mostly free
    Posts
    2,624
    Eagleks, until somewhat recently in our history there was little question- a LEO couldn't arrest someone for a misdemeanor unless he witnessed the crime. Now, some states have legislation in place that allows for a warrantless arrest based on probable cause. However that is sometimes checked by having to meet special circumstances, such as a belief that the suspect will run if not immediately apprehended.

    I'll be honest and admit to being too lazy to look and see where DC falls, but I'd be surprised if they did allow a LEO to make an arrest without a warrant for a misdemeanor outside of special circumstances. Their neighbors in Virginia have laws I'm more familiar with so I quickly grabbed the times a LEO in VA may arrest someone for a misdemeanor not in their presence without a warrant existing (there are exceptions listed elsewhere for arresting someone due to operating a vehicle under the influence that allows PC but again, it is late and I am lazy... since that doesn't apply I'm not going to bother getting it and posting it.)

    G. Such officers may also arrest without a warrant for an alleged misdemeanor not committed in their presence involving (i) shoplifting in violation of § 18.2-96 or 18.2-103 or a similar local ordinance, (ii) carrying a weapon on school property in violation of § 18.2-308.1, (iii) assault and battery, (iv) brandishing a firearm in violation of § 18.2-282, or (v) destruction of property in violation of § 18.2-137, when such property is located on premises used for business or commercial purposes, or a similar local ordinance, when any such arrest is based on probable cause upon reasonable complaint of the person who observed the alleged offense. The arresting officer may issue a summons to any person arrested under this section for a misdemeanor violation involving shoplifting.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

  9. #68
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,411
    Not sure if it's a misdemeanor , or a felony in DC ... the statute doesn't say,

    http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/d...sr=TC&vr=2%2E0

    But, here..... as an example.... an officer can arrest someone of simple assault, a misdeamnor, based upon a complaint, a witness, etc. and they have a reasonable belief that it occurred, and they were the one who did it. They would not have to see it nor witness it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  10. #69
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Where on earth do you live ? A Warrant would be needed.... ?? Are you joking. Any officer who believes a crime has been committed, and has evidence the crime has been committed, can arrest someone .... he sure doesn't need a "warrant" signed off by a Judge. About all that would take is watching the broadcast on Youtube, that's enough "cause" right there to investigate, and most likely make an arrest. I think they take it more seriously than you think they do.... especially since the Police Dept advised NBC in "advance" NOT to do it or have one, and that it would be illegal. NBC is shoving it in their face ......

    The mag doesn't have to be "operative" , it only has to be capable of making it "operative" ..... videos I saw... shows it was likely an operative magazine. Having the spring, etc. removed does not make it legal.

    As far as gun enthusiasist saying something..... that's pretty easy,...... if you are going to have the stupid laws, then they apply to everyone "equally" ..... even if it were President Obama standing in DC holding one, let alone an anti-gun guy like David Gregory........ who by the way sends his kids to school at Sidwell, who on a normal basis..... have 11 armed guards at the school..... while he was asking Lapierre , " do you really think it's practical to have armed guards in schools? " .

    I think that makes it a rather fair assumption to describe him as a hypocrite.
    A very articulate response and since I amnot a lawyer I will not refute the legalities of how a person can be arrested. But you don't wnat Greory arrested for justice, or because it is the right thing to do. He want it done for vengeance and for hate. Your last paragrapgh sums it up nicely (which I put in bold).

    What on earth does the fact that he is an anti and his kids go to the same school as Obama has to do with justice? It has zero to do with justice. Remember that statue? The lady blindfolded.....justice suppose to be blind. My my my, how soon we forget how most folks in this forum thought the nurse and marine that got caught carrying in NYC should not be punished.

    You want him arrested because you don't like him. If it were a Marine, soldier, or an ordinary CC holder you would be singing a different tune as well as almost everyone else in this forum. Or are you going to try to ocnvince me that you would be pushng for the arrest of anyone.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  11. #70
    Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    T
    You really can't arrest a person for a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of a peace officer without a warrant. To get a warrant you have to show the judge evidence that a crime was committed.
    Where did you gain understanding of the law?

    It's misinformation like yours that's aids the case of "If you say it loud enough and long enough, it must be true."

    Under oath and affirmation, a sworn complaint is filed to be investigated by police.
    If enough probable cause exists, a warrant is issued for an arrest. Period! This does not necessarily mean evidence.

    If (10) people see Mr. X committing a crime and under oath and affirmation, swear out a complaint, I assure you; a arrest will be made.

    In Mr. Gregory's case, millions of people witnessed the crime. Probable cause exists as well as the evidence by way of the magazine captured by video...no different than video being used to ID suspects in the commission of a crime.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

    Do what you can; then do what you must

  12. #71
    VIP Member Array nedrgr21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    3,102
    There's a difference btwn serving justice being legal. Gregory being arrested would be a case of both - he, like idiots before him, grandstanded by committing his crime in front of a camera so it would be legal for him to be arrested and penalized and it would be sweet justice that a hypocrite be penalized for possession of a object he believes should be banned for everyone else.

  13. #72
    Senior Member Array mrreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    613

    FYI: White House Petition

    Press charges against David Gregory: http://wh.gov/QWZx

  14. #73
    VIP Member
    Array ppkheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,966
    Occasionally we read about some anti-gun actor or politician that "gets caught" with a firearm himself. It is all hypocritical as in NBC and this reporter with the "high capacity mag".

    We gun folks are deluged with firearm half-truths, lies, etc by the politicians and the media. Occasionally some of the anti-gun people prove to be the hypocrites that they are, and this NBC magazine deal reveals it again. True we do have bigger fish to fry, but heck if the members here want to vent, laugh, or point out of this exposed hypocrisy. Let 'em vent.......we need the relief.

    BTW IMO, NBC just proved again how easily it is to thumb your nose at "the laws", and criminals do it all the time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

  15. #74
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,552
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Occasionally we read about some anti-gun actor or politician that "gets caught" with a firearm himself. It is all hypocritical as in NBC and this reporter with the "high capacity mag".

    We gun folks are deluged with firearm half-truths, lies, etc by the politicians and the media. Occasionally some of the anti-gun people prove to be the hypocrites that they are, and this NBC magazine deal reveals it again. True we do have bigger fish to fry, but heck if the members here want to vent, laugh, or point out of this exposed hypocrisy. Let 'em vent.......we need the relief.

    BTW IMO, NBC just proved again how easily it is to thumb your nose at "the laws", and criminals do it all the time.
    In Bold: I agree with that...I just think some folks are gettng to excited about this and not taking it for what it is worth.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  16. #75
    VIP Member
    Array ppkheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    In Bold: I agree with that...I just think some folks are gettng to excited about this and not taking it for what it is worth.
    Maybe this hyprocrisy will excite some to write their representatives and join a pro-gun organization. Furthermore recruit the wife, neighbors and others to do the same. We gun owners are the true ambassadors for the 2A, let's diligently do our part.

    BTW I know many of you have written and joined, as I have. My next step is visiting my neighbors and recruiting them to action.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

arrest david gregory

,

david gregory

,

david gregory arrest

,

david gregory arrested

,
david gregory gun clip
,

david gregory not arrested

,
dc police report on david gregrory of nbc 01/01/2013
,
is david gregory going to be arrested
,
is david gregory going to be arrested?
,
why is david gregory not being charged
,

why was david gregory not arrested

,
why wasnt david gregory arrested
Click on a term to search for related topics.