Has our 2nd Amendment become obsolete?

This is a discussion on Has our 2nd Amendment become obsolete? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have heard and read talk of this lately. Some say it was written at the time of single shot muskets, and our founding fathers ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Has our 2nd Amendment become obsolete?

I have heard and read talk of this lately. Some say it was written at the time of single shot muskets, and our founding fathers didn't take into account future development and sophistication of firearms. I disagree,I think they new very well that improvements had to be so to keep up with the with the evolving sophistication of methods of violence and what it would take to defend ourselves, as well to keep a Government that in my opinon is becomming more corrupt in check. Without our 2nd Amendment there would be no 1st Amendment. I think the problem we have with sensless violence is because we have lost our moral values and have become desensitized to the value of human life. Our forefathers wrote our Constitution with basic Christian values to guide them. We has lost that. God gave us feewill, we have abused that. In part we take no responsibilty for what we do,when we do wrong, it is always someone or somthing elses fault. With free will comes responsibilty. Lets reflect on that a little bit, even when we are in the voting booth. Some say that TV and Video games are part of the problem, I disagree, If you don't like what you see, don't watch, If a video game is to violent, don't buy it. (Free Will). We have only ourselves to blame for creating a demand for these things. I just thank God that we have the 2nd Amendment so I am able to state my opinion without fear of retribution. I Pray...
    tkruf and mook012 like this.

That's like saying that when they wrote the First Amendment they didn't mean on TV since it didn't exist yet. Or that freedom of religion didn't mean, say Scientology, because it didn't exist yet.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Notice the (Comma) that appears right before "Shall not be infringed"
    The comma was NOT accidental.
    1MoreGoodGuy, mook012 and tkruf like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

The weapons that we are allowed to own are obsolete compared to what the police and military have, but that doesn't mean the amendment is obsolete. The issues it that lawmakers(including SCOTUS) view the constitution as optional.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with our 2A. Our problem is the guy at the wheel.
    trofty, mano3 and tkruf like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the M-16 had been the common military firearm in 1776, the Minutemen certainly would have carried them.
    skatalite, peckman28 and Ksgunner like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    I just thank God that we have the 2nd Amendment so I am able to state my opinion without fear of retribution.
    That would be 1A, but point made.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    That's like saying that when they wrote the First Amendment they didn't mean on TV since it didn't exist yet. Or that freedom of religion didn't mean, say Scientology, because it didn't exist yet.
    This is a very good counter argument. I was thinking of the same analog this morning - If the 2A should not apply to semi-automatic weapons (or perhaps be restricted to "muzzle loaders") then the 1A does not apply to Twitter, the Internet, TV, Radio, etc., or perhaps be restricted to print media and the town center with a soapbox.
    Brad426 and tkruf like this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The founders had a keen sense of history and as such, understood that while society advances technologically, some basic rights transcend a particular point in time. I for one believe they would not be surprised by today's firearms and that they would still enshrine those rights the same way today. I find it to be the height of hubris for someone to stand up and say that the time for our Constitution is over. Do they really believe they are smarter than John Adams? Thomas Jefferson? These were some of the greatest minds in history and to try to explain away their clear words is insulting and laughable. If it wasn't so sickening...
    tkruf, Clodbert, PEF and 1 others like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    Our forefathers wrote our Constitution with basic Christian values to guide them. We has lost that.
    Not true.

The constitution never mentions Christianity. In fact the opposite is true as they made it very clear that ALL religions are acceptable and none should be recognized by government.

The 1796 Treaty with Tripoli states that the United States was "not in any sense founded on the Christian religion".

Many of our forefathers were Deists not Christians.
    oakchas likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I was trying to come across as being pro-2nd Amend. but maybe I did not come across that way.

The question to ask is, "Were these muskets the worst weapons the colonists could get their hands on, or not? If they had chosen safer, less-lethal arms to use against the British, I think that argument might be viable. However, since they used "assault muskets" I think that argument is dead in the water.

"Shall not be infringed" says everything you need to understand under 2A. God Bless our forefathers and their wisdom.
    Clodbert likes this.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Based on what we can see and read from ALL of the writings of the founding fathers, I think it's clear that they were smart enough to understand that technology would continue to advance. I think that's why they said "keep and bear arms" and not "own a musket for use in military service".

And on a side note, yes, many of our founding fathers were deists, but many were Christians. They were all largely influenced by the leading philosophers of their day in addition to religion and also their own innovative ideas. I think it's clear from the historical record, though, that Judeo-Christian moral/ethical philosophy was definitely among the most influential guiding principles even for those who were not strict adherents to the Christian religion. To say otherwise is to engage in modern pop-culture revisionist history.

Whether we choose to continue venerating these principles or not is part of our freedom under the document that they wrote, and we of today can exercise it as we choose. Because we have that freedom, we shouldn't be afraid to acknowledge them for what they were even if it makes us uncomforable.

What we have lost is the "well regulated" part of the 2A. In today's English, that would read "well trained." In most locales, adult males (usually over 16) were required to muster for militia training on a regular schedule, and to supply their own firearm, powder, bayonet, and other supplies. The training not only instilled military skills - it also instilled discipline, and a sense of community.

Those who objected to militia service (such as Quakers, etc) were required to pay a tax in order to "buy out" their service obligation.

Today - we have a breakdown in family. People live next door to others for years, yet hardly know them. People "tweet" all the time, yet hardly have any real friends. There is precious little sense of community in many cases, and folks who need help are left to fester alone until they act out.

Personally, I think we should reinstate the draft. Those who don't want to go into the military should be required to serve in other ways. We have too many troubled young males out there with no supervision, direction, or purpose. That needs to change.

JMHO
    mook012 and Geezer like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links