Batfe on pending ammo ban!!!

This is a discussion on Batfe on pending ammo ban!!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Check this out! My cousin in LE sent this to me today! UNBELIEVABLE!!! BATFE Taking Comments on a Pending Ban Ammo - Patriot Outdoor News ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Der Alte

Thread: Batfe on pending ammo ban!!!

Batfe on pending ammo ban!!!

Check this out! My cousin in LE sent this to me today! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

BATFE Taking Comments on a Pending Ban Ammo - Patriot Outdoor News

Dunno if it's credible but I'll trust my cousin over the news

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The sky is falling. I'm sure there's a lot of sites making all kinds of claims.
    Maximpactguns and Happypuppy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    At 80 years of age and with a good stock of ammo, I'm not worried. I'll die before I use all of it. :)
    StarPD45 and jrizzleP95 like this.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    One such restriction banned handgun ammunition which had a composition where the materials were harder than lead.
    Since gilding metal is harder than lead by that standard we will be stuck with lead bullets only, then the EPA will probably try to ban lead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Since gilding metal is harder than lead by that standard we will be stuck with lead bullets only, then the EPA will probably try to ban lead.
    They've already tried. Unsuccessfully so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    Check this out! My cousin in LE sent this to me today! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

BATFE Taking Comments on a Pending Ban Ammo - Patriot Outdoor News

Dunno if it's credible but I'll trust my cousin over the news
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The sky is falling. I'm sure there's a lot of sites making all kinds of claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StarPD45 View Post
    They've already tried. Unsuccessfully so far.
    I bypassed Snopes on this and went directly to the BATFE site...

They ARE taking comments on "armor piercing" projectiles. You have until December 31, 2012 to make a comment...

Here is the link to the page on the BATFE site, and it's the top "Question of the month": Link

Here's the link to the Actual proposal linked to on the BATFE site: Link

Here's a snippet (I bolded the part that is ambiguous to me):
    As a result, the ATF Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has received numerous requests to exempt certain brass projectiles under the sporting purposes exemption. In developing ATF’s criteria, we recognize that a broad exemption will necessarily encompass many projectiles that may pose a danger to law enforcement officers. However, in developing a narrow sporting purposes test, ammunition in traditional hunting calibers will become regulated. Because of the proliferation of new, larger handgun calibers ATF must review the current sporting purposes test for armor piercing ammunition.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

StarPD45
    Because of the proliferation of new, larger handgun calibers ATF must review the current sporting purposes test for armor piercing ammunition. QUOTE

Can anyone show me where it says sporting in the constitution?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    The country died long ago... we are just relics. Just enjoy your life since we are gonna all die one day. This country is too wuss to do anything about anything. Nothing will happen. We are gonna give our guns up, speech up, and soon more and more and more and there will be nothing left except world wide total tyranny.

Its all to keep your kids safe!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    The BATF?
    Email them? REALLY? SERIOUS?

I'm supposed to email an arm of the current regime? I think I'll pass.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The gun control act is 45 years old. At the time it was written, perhaps a "sporting purpose" clause made sense in terms of whether ammunition should be made available to the public. Today, that definition fails as it misses the whole realm of self defense. We have already seen many accounts of where criminals are protecting themselves by wearing armor. There is a clear and present need for higher potency ammunition for both law enforcement and the law abiding citizen. Once again, a restriction placed on the law abiding citizen will not achieve the desired effect and will only exacerbate the problem. The recent rulings by SCOTUS have declared self defense a valid function of the 2nd amendment and as a result "sporting" is an inadequate and insufficient metric to be used for ammunition. Perhaps this wasn't the case 45 years ago, but it is today.

I submitted my comments to the effect above. It is unlikely to have any effect, but perhaps, with a little luck, a reasoned message will be read by someone who can make a difference.

Links