Trip To Local Gun Shop,The Panic Buying Is Real

This is a discussion on Trip To Local Gun Shop,The Panic Buying Is Real within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by varob I haven't been in my LGS lately. After doing a little panic buying myself back in 08, I said never again. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Trip To Local Gun Shop,The Panic Buying Is Real

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I haven't been in my LGS lately. After doing a little panic buying myself back in 08, I said never again.

...because i did it correctly and now have a life supply? :)

My local range was completely out of 9mm when i went last.... seriously messed up...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS075 View Post
    In CO, gun show dealers are also required to conduct background checks.
    In CO, what is a "gun show dealer"? Is this a FFL who just happens to set up shop at a gun show, is this a special term for a F2F sale at a gun show or something else? Not busting your chops, just intersted.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    My LGS usually has 25-35 AR/AK & variants on the wall along with a few HD shotties. I was in there last week to pick up a box of .45 for my BIL for Christmas. The wall only had 2 shotties on it, other than that it was clear and they said the distributors are out as well. They have no idea when they will see more AR/AK style rifles.

Handguns were in pretty good supply, but they were out of spare mags that held more than 10 rounds. They did note that they were starting to see some pressure on handguns that hold more than 10 rounds.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The only two places by me with any 9mm target ammo are my LGS and Gander Mountain. Blain's Farm and Fleet, Wal Mart, Bass Pro are out. Gander has it because they are price gouging in my opinion. What once was a box of 9 for $14.99 is now $19.99. 30% more is too much for me to spend in this situation. My LGS limits you to 5 boxes of any one caliber, which is fair if you ask me and they haven't raised their prices. I heard form someone that knows the owner that last summer he bought $3 million, at his cost, in ammunition on a hunch that Barry O. would be re-elected and gun control would become an issue. Looks like his hunch was right but not solely for that reason obviously. They are selling long guns and hand guns like crazy there.

Stopped by a LGS last week and stumbled upon a new CW45 for $350 and a new XDs for $549 - both good deals in this part of the country. While I didn't "need" them, I hadn't bought a new gun in nearly a year so bought them for me and the wife, took them home to clean, and then to the range. Holy cow - what a madhouse! The place was packed with shooters and buyers, the walls and counters were about half empty. I've never seen even a missing space on the walls or counters at this range before as they are quick to re-stock usually. Some of the people / groups waiting to shoot were a bit scary - not biker or gang or tough guy scary but old women, young kid, and unexperienced shooter scary. I saw people buying ARs that obviously seemed to not know why they were buying them or what to do with them after. SO, we left - will wait to break in the new guns at a later date.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yeah, except they don't do camo overalls and sleeveless t-shirts in the nightclubs!

^^Obviously you've never been^^^^^^^^^

to Lewiston Michigan where men are men, and so are the women.
    I agree with NOT jumping into the swirling cesspool right now, overspending on stuff that could be had for close to 1/2 what it should be.
    That said if I was out of a certain brand or needed practice ammo, I'd scrounge around for someone locally that perhaps handloaded and try to pick it up that way.

I'm gonna let the fools and their money part.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    In CO, what is a "gun show dealer"? Is this a FFL who just happens to set up shop at a gun show, is this a special term for a F2F sale at a gun show or something else? Not busting your chops, just intersted.
    No worries. Being new to shooting sports and CC this year, I likely tossed around some terminology without understanding the specific definition. So, you got my thinking and I looked up the statute in CO. According to the link below, the statute

"requires a designated licensed gun dealer to obtain background checks, and to keep records of purchases as he or she would when selling, renting, or exchanging at retail; defines a gun show as any event or function where 25 or more guns are offered or exhibited for sale, transfer, or exchange, or at least three gun owners exhibit, sell, offer for sale, transfer, or exchange guns; and creates misdemeanor penalties punishable by jail, fines, or both." It also requires a designated licensed gun dealer to perform a background check on behalf of a private seller at a gun show.

Colorado Background Checks at Gun Shows Act, Amendment 22 (2000) - Ballotpedia

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Our LGSs are sold out of EBGs, New pistols, Shotguns, and are going through there allotment of hunting guns fast! But they still have ammo! We are on a Hwy to Yosemite and two ski resorts, so a lot of guns have been sold to people driving through. A lot of ammo has been sold to out of town people as well. One owner told me that He had put back a years worth of ammo for his local customers. He said he started with about three years worth of his normal sales in stock. I love a guy that plans ahead! DR

Went to Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday and took a peek at the gun counter while I was there. They've still got shottys bolt actions for days but the rifle rack where the semi-auto stuff is kept was completely bare except for some .22s. The handgun wall was slim pickins and forget about buying ammo.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Walls hasno ammo academy has no ammo here in Wichita falls both had some guns on the shelf
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Its really common for your LGS to be really low on inventory, what has been taking months or a year to sell is now claiming inventory in a matter of days/weeks.

Another common theme that is appearing is the message you get when you call a LGS. A lot of them are now telling you to come into the shop if you want to see their inventory b/c they will not tell you over the phone. Some are saying they are doing this to cut down on competitors trying to price/match but I suspect their staff is busy taking care of paying customers w/cash or credit card in-hand. Its foolish to drag the staff away from the counter w/paying customers to talk to someone on the phone that may not even buy anything.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I stopped in at one of the local Walmart stores yesterday for some basics like cat litter. While I was there I stopped by the sporting goods section. Almost no ammo to be seen. Most of the shelves were completely bare. They only had a few boxes of; .357. .44mag, 30.06, 12 and 20 gauge as well as some of the Russian steel cased stuff that the area ranges won't let you use. They had a couple of cheap shotguns and rifles but most of those were sold out. I asked the guy if he had any estimate on ammo restocking and he said no that they have had some on order for almost a month with no estimated delivery date given.

Fortunately for me the .38 Special seems to have been mostly ignored in the frenzy around here. This means that my S&W 10 I got from Buds a few months ago is going to be accompanying me to the range that much more.

Local Wally World is out of .223 and .308. 30-30 and 30-06 are still stocked as well as a varying assortment of 9mm, .40sw, .45acp etc.

Gander mountain gets shipments of ammo and just this past saturday had a bunch of ARs come in. People lined up and I think I was the only person not looking for an AR and ammo. They had a bunch of drums filled with .223, people were buying 2 or 3 at a time ($5,000 a pop). As soon as the table for .223 and 5.56 was filled, the people there loaded up the cart. I guess they decided to stagger the release from the back because they brought out a few cases each time the table was empty, I suppose to keep at least a little bit available for people newly purchasing rifles.

Most hunting and handgun calibers are available to me locally with the exception of a select few that are common in ARs.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My LGS had a couple of WASR's and Draco's that were priced at $1000. I was tempted but had to pass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links