Defensive Carry banner

Trip To Local Gun Shop,The Panic Buying Is Real

6K views 44 replies 38 participants last post by  ErnieNWillis 
#1 ·
I stopped at the local GS just for fun today. The owners are never that friendly but I just wanted to see if they were sold out of everything. What is normally a 50' long wall of rifles held about 15 now. Ammo? A bunch of empty space with a few boxes left. In the past,these shelves were packed. The owner did mention business was great but his fear is will he be able to replenish everything. Not a money issue but a supply problem. So,is your local GS getting empty?

#3 ·
Yep. One of our shops stopped taking online orders because they couldn't keep inventory. Our range is sold out of just about everything. Of course, no one can take anything home because background checks are taking days. All rifles and guns are marked with little "sold" signs. Most magazines are gone too, especially any Glock mag that holds more than 10 rounds. It's crazy.

#5 ·
Rather than go to the gun store, I reloaded another box of 9mm Maks while I was sitting around. I'm not getting in the middle of that madness.

Reactions: varob
#6 ·
I went by one in Atlanta last week and it was packed to the rafters. The gun counter had people lined up 5 deep. It looked like the hottest night club you have ever seen.

#13 ·
I work at a local hardware store and was tempted to buy up all the 223 in our store though i don't own a gun to carry such but I thought I'd just post it online in Ebay or something like that and make a buck or two but truely for me those kinds of guns aren't worth my time. Anybody with the intention to cause harm or kill could easily killed those people with 00 buck shot with simply 2-4 shots really. At close range that stuff is nasty with 3" mag rounds. plus for speed compations anyone can go nuts with those guns they have reloading tubes for shot guns that just blow my mind watching them go at it. Our hardare store can order guns but are backordered on alot of things cause of the demand of the rest of the nation.

#16 ·
Ya went to my range yesterday and had a chat with one of the guys about how crazy its been. They are limiting boxes of ammo to only three per person, can't keep any guns on the shelves and the store has been packed for weeks now.

I went to two different wally worlds today looking for any ammo for another range trip in the future - not happening anytime soon. All that was in stock was shotgun shells, next time I wanna go shoot its gonna be clays with the shotgun, lol.

#19 ·
I haven't tried wallyworld. Its on the way to the LGS I frequent. I drive almost 30 mins to mine which to me is local. You almost miss the place driving by. But the owners are really nice and friendly, have a few chairs for the regulars to relax in and chat. I like places like that. Like minded individuals just chatting away about the same concerns and what not.

#20 ·
I was here today, and didn't see one black rifle below .338 caliber. .223 ammo was sold out, but I was still able to get Blazer Brass 9mm for $10.99/box. They still had handguns at normal prices, but didn't have a high capacity magazine except for .357 SIG. Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters

#21 ·
I was in a local gun store today and I (back)ordered an AR15. The store was very depleted on ammo and and the gun cases were more empty than normal. While we were there, the phone rang several times and the owner, whom I was talking to, answered it and I heard him saying, "sorry, none of that left ... nope don't have any of that either". While I was there, a conversation with one of the employees came up that I found interesting. Apparently he tried to order some magazines (I am not sure for what make / model) and wanted about 100 of them but wasn't able to get any. According to the conversation, they learned that the manufacturer delivered 10,000 units to the distributor, who in turn sold 5,000 to one individual and 1,000 to two other vendors. I don't know who the vendor was that purchased 5,000 but the comment was made that they are known for price gouging and will probably make several hundred thousand dollars in profit on them at the upcoming gun show, whereas the store owner told me that if he had been able to get 100 of them they would have be on the shelf for the normal price of $19.95 as he opposed to feeding into the panic. We also discussed that people who need 3-4 boxes of ammunition are coming in and buying tens to hundreds of boxes and wiping stores out of stock which is lending to the problem.

As I mentioned above, I back ordered an AR. The store called it into their distributor who put one on allocation for me. I was told to expect it to take three to six months lead time. In terms of price, the store owner said that he was confident in the MSRP shown by the manufacturer as the maximum price and said that if he is able to get a discount that he will pass it on to me.

I think my experience also underscores the importance of the consumer in the panic buying process, both in terms of creating the supply problems and also in avoiding and penalizing vendors who are attempting to take advantage of the situation. I am just hoping that by the time my AR arrives that the ammo situation has stabilized.

#23 ·
I lucked out.

Bought a new Ruger Mini 30 (w/ undisclosed # of rnds) two weeks prior to the tragic event. The price I paid Vs. now price is unreal!

I complained a little about my Glock 27 gen 4 carry piece due to expensive ammo costs vs. 9mm; I'm not complaining now. :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas to all the LGS's and and a big thank you to the worlds best gun salesman, (B.O.)

#27 ·
Seems the majority of the large internet dealers are 100% sold out of AR 15 and similar, Walmart shows some pn the web site but says check with the store. Buds has nothing of this type in stock locally or on the web site, There is not a store I could find who has any and when I asked the local Walmart store if they could order one which is listed on walmart.com they called and were unable to order ( cant purchase these on line even though listed) Most the inexpensive 9 mm range ammo is gone at my local stores and even at Midway. And of course rifles with high capacity magazines ( excepting 22 lr) are being bid on auction sites at 2-3X the retail price from a few weeks ago. Obama and Feinstein sure are selling a lot of guns. But overall I think this stockpiling is going to hurt the gun shops. One banner month can't possibly offset 3-4 months of lost revenue because the funnel from the manufacturers seems to be very limited. I tried to order a second 17 round mag for my sr9c and its backordered 5-6 weeks unless I buy it from an internet "discount" site for almost double the normal retail. What a mess!

#28 ·
Local Wal-Marts, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain has been cannibalized of .223 ammo. I got to BPS last night just in time to see a guy make off with the last few boxes of .223. Happening everywhere.

#29 ·
I was in my favorite LGS this morning, which is a fairly large store. They still had some handguns that weren't high cap, and a fair amount of handgun ammo, some steel case 7.62x39, and absolutely zero .223. I have several mags for my pistols and rifles, but since they had several Glock 19 mags and a couple of Ruger BX25 mags in stock, I picked up one of each. Regular price on the G19, but the BX25 was priced up a bit.

#30 ·
I took my daughter to the range today, range was full with at least a 2 hour wait, gun store was full, the ammo shelves were void of ammo and not a black gun in the racks. Will do the range thing next week

#33 ·
My LGS usually has 25-35 AR/AK & variants on the wall along with a few HD shotties. I was in there last week to pick up a box of .45 for my BIL for Christmas. The wall only had 2 shotties on it, other than that it was clear and they said the distributors are out as well. They have no idea when they will see more AR/AK style rifles.

Handguns were in pretty good supply, but they were out of spare mags that held more than 10 rounds. They did note that they were starting to see some pressure on handguns that hold more than 10 rounds.

#34 ·
The only two places by me with any 9mm target ammo are my LGS and Gander Mountain. Blain's Farm and Fleet, Wal Mart, Bass Pro are out. Gander has it because they are price gouging in my opinion. What once was a box of 9 for $14.99 is now $19.99. 30% more is too much for me to spend in this situation. My LGS limits you to 5 boxes of any one caliber, which is fair if you ask me and they haven't raised their prices. I heard form someone that knows the owner that last summer he bought $3 million, at his cost, in ammunition on a hunch that Barry O. would be re-elected and gun control would become an issue. Looks like his hunch was right but not solely for that reason obviously. They are selling long guns and hand guns like crazy there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.