Bill would exempt SC-made guns from federal rules

This is a discussion on Bill would exempt SC-made guns from federal rules within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody in South Carolina hear about this, An Upstate senator's proposed legislation would exempt weapons made in South Carolina from federal regulations. Sen. Lee Bright's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bill would exempt SC-made guns from federal rules

Bill would exempt SC-made guns from federal rules

Anybody in South Carolina hear about this,

An Upstate senator's proposed legislation would exempt weapons made in South Carolina from federal regulations.

Sen. Lee Bright's Firearms Freedom Act would mean that firearms, ammunition and gun accessories made in South Carolina aren't subject to federal rules and oversight. Bright says his bill would allow South Carolina manufacturers to skirt federal regulations because the materials would not cross state lines.

The Roebuck Republican pre-filed the bill on Dec. 13, a day before a massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, CT, where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults.

Eight other states have already approved similar proposals, and dozens of others are considering them. Legislation approved in Montana is being challenged in federal court.

I am still waiting on a change to allow us to open carry and to carry in restaurants that sell liquor/beer. I have not seen any activity on this yet.

2. Remove Ads

Re: Bill would exempt SC-made guns from federal rules

There was another pre filied legislation in the SC Senate for Constitutional Carry. Chances are better with more pro gun legislation passing now that Sen. Jake Knotts was not reelected. If I remember correctly it was prefilied as S-115 or S-116

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know where these cases will end up after the judicial dust settles, but they're based on the Federal gov't only has jurisdiction on "interstate" commerse, not intrastate commerse. The Feds do not like to give up power. It will be a long fight.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am guessing that Knotts was the one stating that he was a LEO and dropped the open carry in SC because we were not trained.

Our Legislators meet again Jan 8. At least our Governor is Pro-Gun!!!

YEAH!!! That just made my day!!! Thanks for posting that one! I'm sure glad I moved to SC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MADMAC959 View Post
    Anybody in South Carolina hear about this,

An Upstate senator's proposed legislation would exempt weapons made in South Carolina from federal regulations.

Sen. Lee Bright's Firearms Freedom Act would mean that firearms, ammunition and gun accessories made in South Carolina aren't subject to federal rules and oversight. Bright says his bill would allow South Carolina manufacturers to skirt federal regulations because the materials would not cross state lines.

The Roebuck Republican pre-filed the bill on Dec. 13, a day before a massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, CT, where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults.

Eight other states have already approved similar proposals, and dozens of others are considering them. Legislation approved in Montana is being challenged in federal court.

I am still waiting on a change to allow us to open carry and to carry in restaurants that sell liquor/beer. I have not seen any activity on this yet.
    Just moved to Charleston in July. I've heard they have already tried an Open Carry and had a hard time getting it pushed through. I'm anxious to see it happen! It doesn't bother me at all.

That's great. Way to stand up SC. I hope Missouri would consider the same and maybe we could get some up state and east coast gun manufactures to move here
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Re: Bill would exempt SC-made guns from federal rules

Pro gun legislation did not have issues getting votes in the house. But once they were sent to the senate knotts, as the judiciary committee chairman would not let them leave the committee. Hopefully now the senate will advance pro gun legislation this new session

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah well the open carry issue I thought was being held up by the mayor of charleston with some involvement!?? I'm not sure I just moved down in July.

That is the first I've heard of the Mayor of Charleston obstructing any open carry efforts. I always figured it was caused by the SC Legislature. SC Politics can sometimes mirror the dysfunction that is found in DC.

I am ready for some change for the good. Gov. Haley also states she would like to see teachers with training to carry in schools. Hell they should let us with CWP's carry on school grounds. We are not the threat!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem we face in this gun control debate bears so many similarities to the problems we face in much of our national political discourse. The media has chosen sides, and haven chosen sides, contrarian information will be blocked and the public will not have the details necessary to make informed choices.
    This was quoted from Radio Talk show host Neal Boortz.

Based on your description of it this seems like an excellent bill. I think all 50 states should start to act more like this, and on a lot more than just guns. The entire concept of federalism has been all but destroyed in this country. The most amazing thing would be for the states to ratify a repeal of the 17th Amendment, which I see as the root of much of this problem.

I certainly hope Texas goes this route. Governor Perry are you listening?

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

I thought Texas was a Pro-gun State?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links