Sample Letter To Lawmakers

This is a discussion on Sample Letter To Lawmakers within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I just wanted to post it up and see if anyone had some suggestions. I'm kinda debating on the empathetic letter or a more ...

Thread: Sample Letter To Lawmakers

Sample Letter To Lawmakers

So I just wanted to post it up and see if anyone had some suggestions. I'm kinda debating on the empathetic letter or a more statistical letter outlining more facts? Maybe a better combo of the two. Any way offer suggestions and by all means if you want to use any part of it feel free.

"Greetings,

Due to some recent events and some political agendas we now face renewed threats to our Constitutional rights. While I understand how painful the loss of loved ones must be for those touched by this tragedy, blaming firearms or their owners and punishing them is not the answer to the challenges we face as a nation.

We already have laws in place to help stop evil people from doing evil things but nothing can stop everyone intent on doing harm. The shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary School was stopped by the mandatory background check from purchasing firearms. He then decided to murder his mother and take her legally owned firearms to commit this tragedy. No laws would have stopped him from this. Laws only effect those of us who choose to follow them not those that choose to do evil things.

I do believe that a strong deterrent is the only thing that can stop some of the bad guys and lesson the damage of the rest. And in saying that I ask what is the true goal? Is it to protect our children? Then enact legislation that will do that. Banning firearms that are rarely used in crime (less than 1% of the time) is not going to stop such tragedies, that was proven in 1999 when the Columbine shooting took place under the 1994 ban. Do something meaningful, please. Make committing the insane easier. Put armed security guards in our schools. Enforce current laws on the books and look at the recidivism rate of violent felons. Such as the shooter of the firemen in New York who had already killed before with a hammer but was let out! But do not strip us of our rights and property by passing additional anti-gun laws that have historically had no positive effect on crime in our nation or others.

Our law enforcement communities do a very good job with what they have to work with but they cannot protect everyone, please do not take away my ability to protect my family with these proposed bans. Most owners of the guns effected by these proposed bans would never want to harm anyone but we ask to be able to protect ourselves and family from those that pay no attention to laws and bans and will still have these weapons.

Many of our law makers have they’re own armed protection and for good reason as you are at greater threat. But if some armed violent felon decides to break into my house and harm my children or wife shouldn’t I be able to defend them with the best means possible?
    I ask you to not support any of these weapons bans, because they only effect those of us who care about the law not the bad guys that need stopped."

2. Remove Ads

Links