Polls: NRA has higher favorable rating than Obama

This is a discussion on Polls: NRA has higher favorable rating than Obama within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Polls: NRA has higher favorable rating than Obama | WashingtonExaminer.com...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By noway2
  • 3 Post By shockwave

Thread: Polls: NRA has higher favorable rating than Obama

S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Unfortunately the people that DON'T like the NRA are way more vocal.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Makes me smile
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I hear the keys jingling.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Work still needs to be done folks...read the entire article.
    Only 35 percent of those surveyed said the NRA expresses their views on gun issues most or all of the time. That means there is a significant part of the population that views the NRA favorably yet still disagrees with the organization from time to time.
    That is the part that is important. Who gives a flip who is more popular than Obama. I am sure most gun orgs are more popular than Hitler also.

We, myself, gun orgs, all need to express our views intelligently and passiontly and without bias when it comes to talking to folks about gun control. This poll is not a victory IMO...it is a sign that alot more work has to be done by all.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Today was voting day and I voted with my wallet. I just joined the NRA and sent them my $35.00, which is $35.00 more than I gave to Obama. I may not agree with everything that they stand for, but I do respect that they have political influence, which is more than I can say that I have an an individual.
    Doghandler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Work still needs to be done folks...read the entire article.

That is the part that is important. Who gives a flip who is more popular than Obama. I am sure most gun orgs are more popular than Hitler also.

We, myself, gun orgs, all need to express our views intelligently and passiontly and without bias when it comes to talking to folks about gun control. This poll is not a victory IMO...it is a sign that alot more work has to be done by all.
    There will always be work to do. They are like waves of the ocean. They never stop
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

[Disclosure: I've been an NRA member for 12 years.]

It has become clear that the "NRA" is three different things. Namely:

1. A firearm safety and training organization, including things like Eddie Eagle, the NRA safety training course, NRA levels of defense qualification, and sponsorship and conduct of competitive shooting events.

2. The preeminent advocacy group for defense of the Second Amendment, interpreting it as an individual right to own firearms.

3. A Washington DC lobbying outfit that pressures legislators and weighs in on public policy.

To the extent that the NRA enjoys a plurality of support, it's probably more a factor of 1 and 2. It's in area 3 that they garner bad press. Sometimes, the cover of America's First Freedom is just embarrassing. I'm glad that they have political influence and work to prevent knee-jerk laws and restrictions, but sometimes they represent gun owners in a bad light.
    Doghandler, Hopyard and kb2wji like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Today was voting day and I voted with my wallet. I just joined the NRA and sent them my $35.00, which is $35.00 more than I gave to Obama. I may not agree with everything that they stand for, but I do respect that they have political influence, which is more than I can say that I have an an individual.
    Good for you!

We need more folks like you to join the NRA. Heck, it only costs about the price of a box of ammo to join (or what used to be the price ).

Our 2nd Amendment Rights are under serious attack and it's time to write your reps, join the NRA, GOA and every pro gun organization you can.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Maybe those who don't feel that the NRA doesn't support their views believe the NRA is too compromising and they want a stronger org. Granted the NRA is the 500 pound gorilla in the room and we need their support. Polls don't give you the ability to explain your vote.

No organization will ever please all of the people all of the time, regardless of if it is the NRA, a church, a political party, or any organization that represents a group of people. It just isn't possible. If the basic foundation of the organization represents your views and there is no other group better positioned to help you achieve your goals, then it is in your best interest to support them while understanding the limitations that they can't please everyone. Sometimes you have to accept the drawbacks for the betterment of your greater priorities.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I can't say this will help me sleep any easier. Obama could have a .02% approval rating and we'd still be stuck with him for another 4 years.

The NRA didn't have a higher rating because I didn't know about the poll and therefore didn't vote in it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Links