Hollywood gun control hypocrites

This is a discussion on Hollywood gun control hypocrites within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rednichols Understandably you've missed my other posts on other threads; graphic violence was prohibited in films until the collapse of the movie ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hollywood gun control hypocrites

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array peckman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Understandably you've missed my other posts on other threads; graphic violence was prohibited in films until the collapse of the movie code with the success of Bonnie and Clyde, and graphically violent video games did not exist until well after that. Given that ALL mass shootings have occurred since this time cannot be a coincidence; the concept is sociopathy, look it up (especially "narcissism") with a good overview on Wikipedia.

    Fully automatic weapons have been to hand since the Civil War, semi-auto pistols since the turn of that century, and assault rifles since WW2; and yet there were no mass shootings outside of wartime in the US until the 70s onwards. It shouldn't take a genius to make the connection.

    Like the three building blocks required to make fire (oxygen fuel spark) it would seem that the very suggestible among us are wrongfully connecting the dots to kill strangers -- just like on TV, or in film.
    Yeah except the worst school slaying in the history of this country was....1927. Our murder rate is the lowest it's been since the 1960s. There was no such thing as a gory videogame in 1992, when it peaked. There have been many studies done on whether it's violent video games that cause people to snap and go kill a bunch of people, and no evidence has been found. It doesn't take a genius to actually do some research on this and engage in some critical thinking. Just to throw out another (far more likely) possibility: the same timeframe you're talking about also saw the rise of many psychotropic drugs, and their widespread prescription use. Many of them ARE linked to violent behavior, and most of these shooters turn out to have been on them, by prescription. What if it turns out our FDA, which approves these drugs and excludes many others from the market that may have worked better, with fewer side effects, is to blame? What if their stamp of approval has led to a moral hazard where people take these drugs thinking they're ok, because the government says so? What if abolishing them and their power to stop or approve medicines would do more to solve our problems than restricting our 1A rights, which is really what you're talking about? The bottom line is you are using the exact same logic as these gun control idiots, trying to say we all need to get rid of these movies and videogames because of a few bad apples. Playing Doom and watching 28 Days Later hasn't ever been proved to be a factor. Stop scapegoating.
    kerberos, Pistology and Cold Shot like this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,129
    Ehn, they don't like the 1st A either, what with their aggressive efforts to maintain copyright
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

    Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..


  4. #18
    VIP Member Array peckman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Ehn, they don't like the 1st A either, what with their aggressive efforts to maintain copyright
    Oh copyright laws...that my friend, is a whole 'nother can of worms right there. I will sum up by saying, you won't see me standing up for them on that front much, if at all.

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array kerberos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Understandably you've missed my other posts on other threads; graphic violence was prohibited in films until the collapse of the movie code with the success of Bonnie and Clyde, and graphically violent video games did not exist until well after that. Given that ALL mass shootings have occurred since this time cannot be a coincidence; the concept is sociopathy, look it up (especially "narcissism") with a good overview on Wikipedia.

    Fully automatic weapons have been to hand since the Civil War, semi-auto pistols since the turn of that century, and assault rifles since WW2; and yet there were no mass shootings outside of wartime in the US until the 70s onwards. It shouldn't take a genius to make the connection.

    Like the three building blocks required to make fire (oxygen fuel spark) it would seem that the very suggestible among us are wrongfully connecting the dots to kill strangers -- just like on TV, or in film.
    Uh...

    The earliest known United States shooting to happen on school property was the Pontiac's Rebellion school massacre on July 26, 1764, where four Lenape American Indians entered the schoolhouse near present-day Greencastle, Pennsylvania, shot and killed schoolmaster Enoch Brown, and killed nine or ten children (reports vary). Only three children survived.
    Used your source for this quote...

    List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    "All" can be such a massive word for just 3 little letters...

    I could go much farther in dissecting your "logic", but I don't wanna be a flamer.

    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

  6. #20
    Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,627
    IMO, the actors/actresses that appeared in the video and others are mere hypocrites/parasites. They speak out against the terrible guns and gun incidents but they continue to accept their million dollar salaries to act in the slaughter movies such as Snipes who has appeared in dozens. If their anti gun beliefs and statements were their true beliefs they would refuse to act in any movie that violated those beliefs. I have never paid to see a movie such as the ones shown in the video nor will I in the future. I will also exercise my rights by boycotting all movies and television shows that they appear in. I do believe that glamorizing the acts of gang bangers and hoodlums in the movies/TV does influence the uneducated and mentally sick. Only if the producers would be able to have the viewers become part of the action and experience the smell, fear, pain and the sickening feelings felt afterwards by those involved in a true gunfight, I do believe it would deter like violence on the streets. Boycott the movies that the anti 2nd Amendment actors/actresses appear in, contact all associated with the production and release of the movie/TV shows and most of all the advertisers. I have never received a reply to any correspondence to a movie production company but I have received replies from the advertisers. Some were not to my liking but they did at least reply. Does it work to start a e-mail/letter drive? Limbaugh is a prime example. Because of statements he made on the air several advertisers dropped their ads. The Limbaugh fan base/supporters promptly started a mass mailing to boycott the companies, Limbaugh's rating went up and the companies that dropped their ads, sells went down. My Rant for today.
    Bengun likes this.

  7. #21
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,193
    Is violent movies and video games the cause of the mass killing rampages? No, a contributing factor maybe, but not the cause. Yes, it is hypocritical for actors to blame the instruments that they make their livings from. If they truly feel as strongly as they say about gun violence, let them refuse to do that kind of movie. Oh....wait.....Disney movies aren't going to make them the millions of dollars they make from their "shoot-m-up" movies.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  8. #22
    Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Exact center of CA
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Understandably you've missed my other posts on other threads; graphic violence was prohibited in films until the collapse of the movie code with the success of Bonnie and Clyde, and graphically violent video games did not exist until well after that. Given that ALL mass shootings have occurred since this time cannot be a coincidence; the concept is sociopathy, look it up (especially "narcissism") with a good overview on Wikipedia.

    Fully automatic weapons have been to hand since the Civil War, semi-auto pistols since the turn of that century, and assault rifles since WW2; and yet there were no mass shootings outside of wartime in the US until the 70s onwards. It shouldn't take a genius to make the connection.

    Like the three building blocks required to make fire (oxygen fuel spark) it would seem that the very suggestible among us are wrongfully connecting the dots to kill strangers -- just like on TV, or in film.
    Whoa, Back that Bus up! Mass shootings, and even school shootings are nothing new in this country. School shootings hit there all time peak in the 1920s and have been in a decline since. mass shootings peaked in the 1930s. these are incredibly rare events. Whats new since the 1950s is news coverage, the way they push for detail, analise the shooters every life in detail. And movies are not what causes people to do these things, what does is inside them! I grew up with Shoot Em Ups on TV, Violent Movies, and although I'm not very good at it Ive even played a few video games. Ive even played Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and "ARMY"! and yet to this date Ive not really shot one person! DR

  9. #23
    Member Array Rookie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    30
    The possible role of violent video games and real violence by teens.

    "Web sites and teen violence. A total of 1,588 10-to-15-year-olds were asked about the types of Web sites they visited. Youths who most frequently visited sites depicting real people fighting, shooting, or killing were five times more likely to report engaging in assaults, stabbings, robberies, and other violent behavior than were those who never visited violent Web sites."

    Sex and Violence in the Media Influence Teen Behavior : AJN The American Journal of Nursing

    Pretty good evidence of an association between viewing violence and teens committing violence. So those violent movies may behaving a role in increased teen violence.

    Will Hollywood now stop/reduce violent movies with gun violence? I won't hold my breath as long as there is $ to be made.

  10. #24
    Member Array Clodbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    205
    Who cares what celebrities say about political issues? They're strangers to me so their opinions are meaningless.

  11. #25
    Member Array Rookie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Who cares what celebrities say about political issues? They're strangers to me so their opinions are meaningless.
    Likewise, but the leftists media and brain dead young people pay attention to their "stars" so their hypocrisy must be exposed.
    8th ID likes this.

  12. #26
    Member Array 8th ID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    488
    Sad that MANY less informed Americans will listen to the Hollywood tripe because said Americans believe that the Hollywood Elites are RIGHT about everything. The entertainment/music/athlete superstars MUST be right...they're RICH and many people idolize them.

    My very non-professional opinion: These mass shootings have 2 common factors: Increase in prescription meds and it seems the shooters, at least, at some point DID NOT, during their development, make a strong human bond with anyone.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

  13. #27
    Senior Member Array Cold Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    One of many reasons I do not support Hollywood. Have not set foot in a theater in over 10 years; no subs to HBO, Showtime, etc. If it is not on regular TV, I don't see it unless a friend loans me the DVD. These folks are in no small part, financially and otherwise, why the country is in the spot it is in now.
    The country is in a bad spot due to two specific groups - bankers and lawyers, and many of them end up being politicians.

  14. #28
    Senior Member Array rednichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Oh copyright laws...that my friend, is a whole 'nother can of worms right there. I will sum up by saying, you won't see me standing up for them on that front much, if at all.
    Looks like we can agree to disagree on many things; as an inventor I wouldn't have minded at all not losing my exclusivity on my patented inventions after just 20 years!

    I do think we can agree that a television, print or movie ad by Harley-Davidson, with a middle-aged man aboard a Soft Tail feeling the wind in his hair, was created because it will lead a middle-aged man into a H-D dealership to buy a Soft Tail. If advertising works -- and I don't think you'll find any research that says it doesn't -- people can certainly take the wrong cues from violent media. It's advertising, face it.

    My own children played violent video games in the 90s, and I required them to "turn off the blood". Every time. Even if/when I caught them at an arcade with it on. Not because I'm wise, but because it's a disgusting form of entertainment. La Pierre had it right when he called this sort of thing "the worst sort of pornography".

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array peckman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    My own children played violent video games in the 90s, and I required them to "turn off the blood". Every time. Even if/when I caught them at an arcade with it on. Not because I'm wise, but because it's a disgusting form of entertainment. La Pierre had it right when he called this sort of thing "the worst sort of pornography".
    That is called being a responsible parent who actually makes an effort to pay attention to what the kids are up to, and I commend you for it. Where I disagree with you (or at least what you seem to imply) is that there is any role for government in this. That is properly the prerogative of the parent, and is for you to determine what you will or will not allow into your own home. You don't get to dictate that for others, whether on your own or through force of government.

  16. #30
    Senior Member Array rednichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    That is called being a responsible parent who actually makes an effort to pay attention to what the kids are up to, and I commend you for it. Where I disagree with you (or at least what you seem to imply) is that there is any role for government in this. That is properly the prerogative of the parent, and is for you to determine what you will or will not allow into your own home. You don't get to dictate that for others, whether on your own or through force of government.
    We agree, too, that both of us need to more fully research this issue. I offer this link only in that spirit, not in an attempt to "win" our disagreement:

    http://drdouglas.org/drdpdfs/106027_07.pdf

    Because clearly either of us could take exception to the research methodology, or the "facts", etc. But it is healthy that we consider all the options to prevent mass shootings; and personally I don't think partial gun bans will prevent them; and I shudder to think of anyone contemplating full bans, as Australia did after their first mass shooting; and so I encourage alternatives.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

celebrity hypocrites gun control
,
celebrity hypocrites still film violent movies
,

gun control hypocrites

,
gun control hypocrits
,
hollywood gun control hypocrites
,

hollywood gun control hypocrites 2012

,
hollywood gun control hypocrits
,

hollywood gun hypocrites

,
hollywood gun-grabbing hypocrites 2013
,
hollywood gun-grabbing hypocrites who pack concealed pistols 2013
,
hollywood hypocrites against guns
,
hollywood hypocrites on gun control
,
hollywoods gun control hypotcrits
,
holywood actors who support gun bans but helped promote therough their movies
,
un control hypocrytes
Click on a term to search for related topics.