US News & World Report - Should the AWB be reinstated?

This is a discussion on US News & World Report - Should the AWB be reinstated? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Should the Assault Weapons Ban Be Reinstated? - US News and World Report...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: US News & World Report - Should the AWB be reinstated?

Online Poll: Should the Assault Weapons Ban Be Reinstated?

NRA Life Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

I find it interesting that poll after poll consistently rejects additional gun control, weapon bans or magazine limits. CNN, US News, newspapers, it doesn't matter. Surely the RKBA crowd (us) doesn't 'own' the internet... so even though the polls are far from scientific, isn't is obvious that mainstream Americans don't favor new restrictions?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

voted. current results 1.98% yes, 98.02% no.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Voted...

Leave them alone: 98%

Ban them: 2%
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    "According to a Justice Department study, the original ban reduced gun deaths by 6.7 percent, and the absence of the ban has resulted in assault weapons being used in 385 deaths."

I would love to see that 'study'. The latest statistics from the Bureau of Justice I can find are from 2011, and they state very clearly that we have been on a downward trend in gun violence since the the late 80's - early 90's, meaning that 6.7% was most likely natural. Secondly, notice how they word that statement? How do they know that the absence of the ban resulted in 385 deaths? Silly silly.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Me too. They'll keep going till they get a favorable poll and plaster that one all over the media.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Online Poll: Should the Assault Weapons Ban Be Reinstated?

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    "According to a Justice Department study, the original ban reduced gun deaths by 6.7 percent, and the absence of the ban has resulted in assault weapons being used in 385 deaths."

I would love to see that 'study'. The latest statistics from the Bureau of Justice I can find are from 2011, and they state very clearly that we have been on a downward trend in gun violence since the the late 80's - early 90's, meaning that 6.7% was most likely natural. Secondly, notice how they word that statement? How do they know that the absence of the ban resulted in 385 deaths? Silly silly.
    This is a good overview of it and effects.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/20...427r/?page=all

I think you hit it right on the head about the 385 deaths. There is not a way to know. The antis can't have it both ways. They don't like when we claim crime prevented due to guns by the good guys.

What I get a lot is that its easier to do a mass killing with a black gun. My comeback is the Spain Bombing and the Japan subway. Both larger and more deadly. A case could be made that a gun is the most inefficient way to do it I suspect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Voted, and the results are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post

The bolded part is quoted from Diane Feinstein's website. The study she references is from 1997, and only looked at data over a two year period (1994-1996). Here's the link Feinstein's site provides: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...e-0778889d49bd I think she is assuming sheeple would never read it, because that 6.7% decrease is qualified by the following statement in that study: However, the evidence is not strong enough for us to conclude that there was any meaningful effect (i.e., that the effect was different from zero)..

It's frustrating that news outlets jump on this 6.7% statistic, without looking at where it comes from. It was for only one year (1994 vs. 1995), was determined with incomplete data (admitted by the study's author), and the study concluded that the overall decrease was not necessarily caused by the AWB, citing other factors, including the long-term trend in gun murders previous to the AWB.

It's all just rubbish, when media, news outlets, and Diane Feinstein herself are cherry-picking quotes from flawed studies that don't even support their agenda. Of course, no one but us actually reads the studies they reference. If they did, we wouldn't be worrying about another AWB, because everyone would call "bull-puckey" on these gun-control advocates.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

There are actually FOUR polls there! Vote in all of them!

Look down the left hand side of the page, and there is a poll on teacher carry, a poll on video game violence, and a poll on Obama acting without Congress.

Teachers armed is 4-1in favor of allowing it.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Thanks for the heads up, voted.

Teachers armed 80.99% Yes

Video games 58.33% No

obama circumvent congress for gun control 76.46% No
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Like all recent polls, only the people that participate in the poll know that the poll even exists and seldom are the results ever released to the public. Bottom line, the polls mean nothing to our elected officials regardless of the outcome. An AWB is the third item on the present administrations agenda to be completed preceded by the total destruction of our economy and making the majority of the population totally dependent on the government, both, IMO, have been completed. The AWB is tantamount to complete the transformation of the US. Folks we are in deep trouble.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

That's for the heads up R&G. All polls favorable
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Just voted:

Should the Assault Weapons Ban Be Reinstated?

1.68% -----------------Yes
    98.32%---------------- No
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links