Will the States fight back?

This is a discussion on Will the States fight back? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I heard recently that the state of Mississippi has a law saying that the federal government cannot confiscate or require registration of the guns belonging ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Will the States fight back?

I heard recently that the state of Mississippi has a law saying that the federal government cannot confiscate or require registration of the guns belonging to Mississippi residents. I've also heard that other states have like protections in place. It's similar to the states that passed laws after Hurricane Katrina that forbid the confiscation of guns in an emergency or disaster.

So when (not "if," but WHEN) push comes to shove from Dianne Frankenstein and others very soon, will the States resist or will they just go right along with it?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think there will be a great deal of resistance from state level right down to individual levels.
    Last edited by OldVet; December 31st, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Agreed. I think we'll see a slew of state laws that are enacted to combat any federal laws. The states will become the first layer of any Constitutional fight. I sincerely hope it never comes to pass, but I think you'll see states divide in a similar fashion to our last civil war.

I will remain hopefully that the document that has ruled as the law of the land for over 200 years, will prevail without any fights, legal or otherwise; however, ultimately it'll be up to the current administration to draw the lines in the sand or back down. Time will tell if they have any respect for The Constitution or if they will choose to ignore it.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I believe that SC already has some legislation in the works to nullify any unconstitutional gun laws that may be passed by this administration.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

TX Ex,

God loves an optimist but we all know that the current administration has no respect for The Constitution.
    TX expat and BamaT like this.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

The civil war was about states rights. People think it was about all kinds of things but states rights was the core reason. The north didn't support the south in keeping their rights. Let us hope this time each state supports the other. The current administration has no respect for our rights as a people or as states. This President isn't the first and he sure won't be the last to strip our rights away. We have to remember "we the people" as a group put the people in office who are sitting there right now. There are those on this site who voted for this administration. Some will say so proudly and others will not say anything at all. Many, who own guns or not, will stand up for that right. Others, no matter if they own a gun or not, will roll over and do nothing more than grumble.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    TX Ex,

God loves an optimist but we all know that the current administration has no respect for The Constitution.
    I will hope as long as hope is possible; if that fails, I guess you'll have to make a spot for me back in TX since I know which side it'll choose in all this!
    Doodle likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I can only hope that the states do put up a fight if it comes to that. I also hope it doesn't come to that.

I must say that I am a bit nervous about all the talk lately, especially from the uneducated.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I'm scared of the Government, and I work for them.
    Dangerfield, mano3 and BurgerBoy like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    IMO, our present administration will do anything and everything to put an AWB in place. The AWB is tantamount to their agenda "For Change" of the U.S. and one can also assume that they will use every means available to overcome the state restrictions recently passed. The big tool that could be used is that the Feds have the ability to restrict the release of federal funds to the states that do not meet or comply with the federal laws.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

If there IS another civil war, let's listen to Longstreet's plan to try and go around the left flank instead of charging right at Cemetary Ridge, hoorah?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

There will be no more civil wars here. For war to happen there would have to be true solidarity among the rebels. When one group of dissidents would be crushed few if any others would be willing to step forward. The regime, like any other tyrannical dictatorship, would pressure those involved to succumb by bringing pain and imprisonment to family members. For examples of what I have described here one has to look no further than cases where anti-government groups have already been attacked (Waco) and destroyed while other like groups merely looked on.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I will hope as long as hope is possible; if that fails, I guess you'll have to make a spot for me back in TX since I know which side it'll choose in all this!
    Remember, Hope isn't a strategy.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member

^^^^I certainly hope so^^^^^

But, hope is not a plan, unfortunately, the further we go it seems chances are slim to none, and Slim left town.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    For examples of what I have described here one has to look no further than cases where anti-government groups have already been attacked (Waco) and destroyed while other like groups merely looked on.
    The "Waco Wacko" was seen as being primarily a religious cult. It was also a PR disaster for the govt and may have also contributed to the initial AWB seeing as the raid was about modified AR-15 "machine" guns and other NFA items. This also underscores the importance of any rebellion, should it come to it, being at the state rather than the individual level. I also think we are A LONG way away from this.
    ctr and Hopyard like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links