Return letter from democrat congressmen

This is a discussion on Return letter from democrat congressmen within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about additional gun control measures in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Return letter from democrat congressmen

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about additional gun control measures in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter, but respectfully disagree.

As I have stated, I agree that Americans have the right to defend themselves and their property. I believe even more fiercely that I have the right, and every child has the right, to be safe from guns without carrying a gun. That gun, by the way, is statistically far more likely to result in the injury or death of someone close to me or them, than someone bent on doing harm. Moving forward from the terrible tragedy in Newtown, CT, we must have a discussion on where we draw the line between keeping our citizens as safe as possible and pro tecting the right to bear arms. Currently, I believe that line is not drawn enough toward guaranteeing the safety of our citizens.

While we do not see eye-to-eye on this issue, I would welcome your advice and input as the debate on this topic evolves in the upcoming weeks and months. Thank you again for sharing your views. If you would like to learn more about my work in Washington and in Louisville, please visit my website at Congressman John Yarmuth : Home where you will find the latest news, my weekly schedule, video from hearings, and information about constituent services. You can sign up for my e-newsletter to receive periodic updates on important issues and services for your family. You can also follow me on Facebook and Twitter (@RepJohnYarmuth).

This is what we are facing folks. He is my Congressmen and will not be getting my vote.
    Peace the old fashion way......

And here is your opportunity to further your beliefs on 2A concerns. If and ONLY if you think you can discuss this in a calm and rational way without letting things get heated, you should respond to his reply by requesting an in person meeting to discuss it further. I'd really like clarification on his "That gun, by the way, is statistically far more likely to result in the injury or death of someone close to me or them, than someone bent on doing harm." statement. What is he trying to say and where does he get his facts.

He has opened the door for further discussion and if you're up to it and willing to devote the time to prepare and deliver a knowledgeable response then your time has come!

As a side note, I'd cc the local paper of your request just to let your rep know that you are placing him in a position where no response would not look favorable for him.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quoting right from his website: "I confess, I am afraid of guns. I am not ashamed of that, because my fear is reasonable and is based on the observations of a lifetime."
    Looking over his other stances, he is a classic party line toter. Interestingly he is also a party flip-flopper.

Afraid of what? Load a gun, any gun, put it on the table. Never touch that gun and it will never fire if it's in working order. Oh but I get it, he fears people who own guns and disagree with big government. That's the real fear. It's not the gun, it's people with the means to fight against oppression and control.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I'm pretty surprised he wrote back (if that's actually him and not an intern or assistant). I'd be much, much more surprised if he continued the discussion and then altered his opinions on these issues. Dang, there I go being a pessimist again.
    darbo and MACC12 like this.

I've written to my representatives. All of them score an F from the NRA and are pretty firm on their anti gun positions with the exception of one senator. Unfortunately, I've voted against them for years and they remain. It doesn't help that in the last election, one of them ran unopposed.
    darbo likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

That guy needs to lose his seat, and frankly, he never should've gotten it in the first place.

I wrote to mine as well; all are grade F. The best I can hope for is they realize it is a hot button issue. They will lose the support of some of the single issue or more moderate voters. They then have to ask themselves is it worth it? The hard line antis they have already. It is the rest they can lose. Based on the outcome of the post assault weapons ban elections, will lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Wouldn't get my vote either.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Re: Return letter from democrat congressmen

I got a generic letter back from mine.. it said that they don't believe any laws would've changed the outcome of the Connecticut shootings. And that they hoped to see less of the senseless violence in the future.

VIP Member
    He's got the classic mentality that so many of those liberal politicians possess. Fear the tool, not the wielder.
    KnifeGuy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Afraid of what? Load a gun, any gun, put it on the table. Never touch that gun and it will never fire if it's in working order. Oh but I get it, he fears people who own guns and disagree with big government. That's the real fear. It's not the gun, it's people with the means to fight against oppression and control.
    Yeah but what about earthquakes???

And we have some very large mosquitos in Ark...

Another hoplophobe...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    I'm pretty surprised he wrote back (if that's actually him and not an intern or assistant). I'd be much, much more surprised if he continued the discussion and then altered his opinions on these issues. Dang, there I go being a pessimist again.
    Discussion? I'd bet a dollar that he didn't "write back". Someone just mailed a copy of a form letter that they'd prepared in advance to send in response to anyone who wrote a pro-2A letter.

Regards,
    Jim
    Echo_Four, darbo and Clodbert like this.

Did you write and mail the letter in or email it? I sent my letters via email and only got the automated response that they are very busy and don't expect a reply soon. I think I need to resend the letters the old fashioned way as well, not that any of my representatives are going to chafe their minds but I want them to know I am paying attention.

I knew before writing him what his stances are. Not too long ago he was interviewed and received a question from a caller. The caller asked about the 2nd amendment, and the reason for it. The caller said, "We all know the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with sporting or hunting. The 2nd amendment is about being able to resist government". Mr Yarmouth preceded to say, and I am paraphrasing here, " the government spends 25% on the military. Anybody who thinks they can withstand our military is delusional." I was speechless. Think about that. This is a person who took an oath to protect the constitution of the United States saying if you resist us we could easily take you out.
    darbo likes this.
    Peace the old fashion way......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links