Mass killings that do not spark outrage (and be safe tonight)

Mass killings that do not spark outrage (and be safe tonight)

This is a discussion on Mass killings that do not spark outrage (and be safe tonight) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 27 People killed: Carrollton, Kentucky bus collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 8 People killed: 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...

Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 2 Post By HDusmc
  • 1 Post By PEF

Thread: Mass killings that do not spark outrage (and be safe tonight)

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,880

    Mass killings that do not spark outrage (and be safe tonight)

    27 People killed: Carrollton, Kentucky bus collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    8 People killed: 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    5 People killed: Driver Sentenced in Nevada's Worst Drunk Driving Case - 8 News NOW

    One person is killed every 30 minutes in the US due to drunk driving: Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics

    Why do we not have background checks for alcohol purchases? Wouldn't it make sense to just do a quick check on someone that is purchasing beer to find out if he as any DUI convictions? Or if the purchaser has someone in his or her household that is "unstable?" Shouldn't we have a "waiting period" before you can purchase? And should we limit the purchases to X ounces per month?

    Shouldn't we outlaw "high proof" alcohol products, such as anything greater than wine (e.g., 14.5%). Does anyone really NEED 80 Proof, 120 Proof, or 180 proof alcohol products? Please give me ONE GOOD REASON why you need Everclear, or Whiskey, etc.

    And the stats above are just for deaths. Fetal alcohol syndrome, alcoholism, wives/girlfriends beat to a pulp when the husband/boyfriend has too much to drink, date rapes, alcohol related diseases, days lost work, etc. - the cost to society is astronomical.

    Or maybe we should just attribute the fault not to the product but to the malfeasance of the abuser. On all fronts.


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,722
    They spark outrage, fear, dread, sadness and all of the other emotions.........what they don't spark is a call for prohibition, because that already failed once.
    Brad426 likes this.

  3. #3
    Member Array HDusmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    38
    They tried outlawing alcohol once, it just moved underground. Same thing would happen with guns, with the banning or heavily restriction of guns, the government would create outlaws at an exorbitant rate.
    What you say is very reasonable logic, unfortunately the anti's don't listen to or understand logic, they have their goals, and they will lie, cheat, and manipulate every statistic they can to justify their unconstitutional actions.
    bigmacque and mulle46 like this.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    They spark outrage, fear, dread, sadness and all of the other emotions.........what they don't spark is a call for prohibition, because that already failed once.
    Agreed. As someone who lived in Kentucky when the Carrollton bus crash happened, I will tell you it did spark outrage.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array Dandyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    611
    I think you missed an important one (though not related to drinking)

    15th person dies after truck crash in Texas - CBS News
    GGs
    BGs

    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    They spark outrage, fear, dread, sadness and all of the other emotions.........what they don't spark is a call for prohibition, because that already failed once.
    Excellent point. I should have said media outrage against the product...
    Rock and Glock likes this.

  7. #7
    Member Array Domr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    83
    Two of my family members were killed by a DUI driver. Were there protesters against the alcohol companies? Politicians speaking out? I don't think so. Did I rally against Anheiser Busch because they manufactured an inert product that didn't drink itself? No.

    Be safe everyone...cars don't drink drive themselves (even though they do according to anti's logic)

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there.
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by HDusmc View Post
    They tried outlawing alcohol once, it just moved underground. Same thing would happen with guns, with the banning or heavily restriction of guns, the government would create outlaws at an exorbitant rate.
    What you say is very reasonable logic, unfortunately the anti's don't listen to or understand logic, they have their goals, and they will lie, cheat, and manipulate every statistic they can to justify their unconstitutional actions.
    Exactly. Prohibiting things like guns, drugs, abortions, and other things will not stop them. I do believe the argument is that the total number of these things used in crimes or misused will decrease. Is freedom worth the price is the question.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array Jemsaal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    az
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    27 People killed: Carrollton, Kentucky bus collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    8 People killed: 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    5 People killed: Driver Sentenced in Nevada's Worst Drunk Driving Case - 8 News NOW

    One person is killed every 30 minutes in the US due to drunk driving: Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics

    Why do we not have background checks for alcohol purchases? Wouldn't it make sense to just do a quick check on someone that is purchasing beer to find out if he as any DUI convictions? Or if the purchaser has someone in his or her household that is "unstable?" Shouldn't we have a "waiting period" before you can purchase? And should we limit the purchases to X ounces per month?

    Shouldn't we outlaw "high proof" alcohol products, such as anything greater than wine (e.g., 14.5%). Does anyone really NEED 80 Proof, 120 Proof, or 180 proof alcohol products? Please give me ONE GOOD REASON why you need Everclear, or Whiskey, etc.

    And the stats above are just for deaths. Fetal alcohol syndrome, alcoholism, wives/girlfriends beat to a pulp when the husband/boyfriend has too much to drink, date rapes, alcohol related diseases, days lost work, etc. - the cost to society is astronomical.

    Or maybe we should just attribute the fault not to the product but to the malfeasance of the abuser. On all fronts.
    I would like your permission to repost this on facebook.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array Cold Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    907
    I like alcohol

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array 45ACP4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    697
    I have had the exact same reaction but with medical malpractice/accidents. Thousands upon thousands are killed each year because doctors prescribe the wrong meds, medications interact because research isn't done, there are pharmacy mistakes etc yet every other commercial on television and most ads in print magazines are some new, amazing wonder drug that you simply MUST take to enhance your life.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I would like your permission to repost this on facebook.
    Post away....

  13. #13
    Member Array Buzz64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    53
    Lets all send letters to the hill requesting regulation on alcohol, hopefully we will shift enough focus off gun controll it will no longer be an issue. No wait, alcohol nevek killed 20 kids in a school house. Well I had hope for a few minuets.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •