Republicans may already be going soft on gun control

This is a discussion on Republicans may already be going soft on gun control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Instapundit Blog Archive CALL THEIR DISTRICT OFFICES: Are Congressional Republicans Getting Ready To Cave On Gun Control? “… If you haven't called and/or ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herknav

Thread: Republicans may already be going soft on gun control

Republicans may already be going soft on gun control

Instapundit Blog Archive CALL THEIR DISTRICT OFFICES: Are Congressional Republicans Getting Ready To Cave On Gun Control? “…

If you haven't called and/or written your Congresscritter, he's only hearing from the President, Sen Feinstein, and Piers Morgan. It's time to get off of your rear and exercise a little self-government. Griping on forums is fine, but it doesn't send the message. Please ensure your elected reps (regardless of party) hear from you on gun control.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That article is a joke. The 1994 election had very little to do with gun rights. That election was fueled by Hillarycare. The gun community wasn't as informed and unified as it is today. In the pre-internet era many people that today support our right to own black rifles and high capacity magazines were worried about their hunting rifles and didn't understand why we would want to own "those things" in the first place.

The GOP may cave, they may not. But anyone that thinks that doing so would be good for the party is too politically unaware to be consulted by someone writing an article about the subject. And I assure you that the law makers are hearing from others as well. The gun lobby is hard at work and every GOP lawmaker as well as any Democrat from a red or purple state is well aware of the cost of voting for any ban. By all means, write, call, fax and then do it again. But don't think you're in the fight alone or that the people in Congress are so unaware as to believe that anyone other than them will take the blame from gun owners if this thing happens.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Personally, I never trust that the Republicans' desire to be liked by the media will outweigh their level of commitment to their constituents.

I admit Feinstein's bill is likely a bridge too far; however, I'm hearing a lot of people on forums and say, "there's nothing to worry about", which implies to me they're not doing anything. I hear others say, "I've got what I need." Better informed does not automatically translate to political action.

If there's one thing Obama's good at, it getting votes when the odds are against him. With Obamacare and the recent election, he's 2-0. I just don't want to see gunowners sit idly by while our rights slip away.
    goawayfarm likes this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Personally, I'm hearing a lot of people on forums and say, "there's nothing to worry about", which implies to me they're not doing anything. I hear others say, "I've got what I need." Better informed does not automatically translate to political action.
    It goes deeper with these people. The sad part is that they don't even know how or why they feel this way.

We live in a country where the majority are sheep, represented by shepherds that feed them candy..candy tastes really good for the moment; but as a steady diet the sheep's health will suffer greatly and eventually die.

The quotes you mention ("I've got what I need") are from selfish people who are fat & happy as long as they have what they want; for now.

So many, including the so called Pro 2A conservative were socially indoctrinated long ago; they drank the Kool-Aid and it now courses through their veins.

Kinda' scary huh?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Republicans go soft and cave on just about everything. Just look at the fiscal cliff vote last night. All but 5 Rebublicans caved on a very bad bill that had zero compromise. I'm proud of our own Florida Senator Marco Rubio for being one of only 5 who did not cave. Integrity is much too rare these days. I'll be surprised if a majority keep their backbone on gun issues under the onslaught of media and the President's bully pulpit.

Links