Do you remember?

Do you remember?

This is a discussion on Do you remember? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll post this and ask the question. How many of us here swore and remember this oath. Pay special attention to the highlighted portion. I, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you remember?

VIP Member

Do you remember?

I'll post this and ask the question. How many of us here swore and remember this oath. Pay special attention to the highlighted portion.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
    While I took the oath many times during my career, I never renounced it.
    dV8r likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    That "obeys the orders of the President of the United States" part, while certainly less appealing than the highlighted section, is equally valid.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    This is a theorhetical question - what happens if the Pres is a domestic enemy of the Constitution? You swore to uphold the Constitution, but also to obey the President. Does the UCMJ cover this?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    This is a theorhetical question - what happens if the Pres is a domestic enemy of the Constitution? You swore to uphold the Constitution, but also to obey the President. Does the UCMJ cover this?
    Therein lies the conundrum.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I always held the "right thing to do" in reserve, as I never wanted to claim "I was just following orders." What constitutes an enemy of the Constitution--whether foreign OR domestic--can be a matter of opinion. I'm sure many of the colonists faced the same dilemma.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That "obeys the orders of the President of the United States" part, while certainly less appealing than the highlighted section, is equally valid.
    I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

officer's oath, slightly different
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

officer's oath, slightly different
    Yeah, I was enlisted.
    William T. Sherman

Yeah, I was enlisted.
    I understand, just pointing out that it makes no reference to the president.

VIP Member
    I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
    That applies to lawful orders. If ordered to do something unlawful, and you follow those orders, you are subject to discipline under the UCMJ. If an officer orders you to shoot an unarmed civilian and you do it, you would be tried under UCMJ.
    Kimberpackn likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    That applies to lawful orders. If ordered to do something unlawful, and you follow those orders, you are subject to discipline under the UCMJ. If an officer orders you to shoot an unarmed civilian and you do it, you would be tried under UCMJ.
    In the face of a legislated gun ban, surrender and confiscation orders would indeed be lawful.
    William T. Sherman

Senior Moderator
    Would a "domestic enemy" be that that through various actions systematically and piece by piece attempt to destroy or render the Constitution of the United States as irrelevant?

Could it include public officials that ignore the Laws of the Land and do as they please?

Could it be a Senator, Representative, Governor, Mayor, that thinks they are above the law and pretty much just does as they please?

Could it be Military,Cops, or various Government Agencies that make their own rules as they go?

Could it be a President that usurps Federal law and chooses to abide by International Law as dictated by the U.N.?

Secretary of State? Various Dept. Heads?

That is always the topic of discussion.

The most difficult matter is determining how much you can take and what it is worth to you to change it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    In the face of a legislated gun ban, surrender and confiscation orders would indeed be lawful.
    Cleary a legislated gun ban would not stand by Constitution Standards, therefore the law should be null and void.

Unless of course the Constitution no longer stands.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    You are absolutely correct. Therefore, any dissident of the government can and will be labeled an enemy of the state and deemed a terrorist whether foreign or domestic.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Re: Do you remember?

The constitution is no longer the law of the land. The law makers who make laws that govern us do not know what is and is not in our constitution. Forget about the federal constitution and concentrate more on state constitution and state legislatures

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    "I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic."
    If it has been proven that the president has willfully violated the constitution to enforce an agenda that would lead to the overthrow of our present form of government I do believe I would obey and carry out the orders of my superiors.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links