Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Not yet but plan to

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • No it will not help

Votes: 5 6.8%

Contacting your Congressmen

2K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  lchamp 
#1 ·
I have been doing a good bit of reading,(lurking), since joining the site and the knowledge available on many issues is outstanding due to the members on this forum. I have just sent email correspondence to my US Congressmen regarding Senator Feinstein's proposed AWB. If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to make a difference. Also poke a few others whom you know to also participate. I challenge all you other lurkers, you know who you are, to get active.

#4 ·
I haven't heard back yet from any of my legislator on the federal level yet. On the state level I have gotten back a pro-gun rights response from one of my reps, still waiting on the other two.

I see many people posting about their federal representatives, but don't forget your state reps too. Your state reps have the control over pesky things like 'gun free school zones'. Even if we do lose the federal battle with some form of an AWB, maybe we can hit back by expanding our ability to carry our concealed handgun in more places.

#7 ·
The percentages above is good, but the volume is totally inadequate. We need thousands/millions to contact their representatives ... not just a handful.

Reactions: pangloss9
#12 ·
I basically said that Sandy Hooke was a terrible tragedy, that we all need to be concerned with violence, but that restricting law abiding citizens' access to currently legal firearms and mags won't help. As an alternative, I suggested strengthening reporting requirements for the National Instant Criminal Background Check system. Respectfully, Pangloss. Don't get too hung up on trying to be eloquent. I think this is more a numbers game than anything else. 10K poorly written but heartfelt letters will do a whole lot more good than 50 Pulitzer quality letters.

(As a side note, if all the available data had gotten to the instant check system, the VT shooter and the Tuscon shooter should not have been able to legally purchase firearms.)

#13 ·
I have contacted my senator and my WI and US congressman. I used the telephone, emails and handwritten letters.
I got a nice letter from Ron Johnson he just really said he agreed with me. I got nothing from my State rep Don Priedmore. NOTHING!!!!!
and I get update emails from Jim Sensenbrenner.

#16 ·
Sensenbrenner is chairman of the sub-committee on crime (part of the larger House Judiciary Committee). Any gun control bills will likely have to pass through that subcommittee and then committee. Please get as many of your local pro-gun friends to write him as possible! Last night I started a thread (link here) trying to get everyone to write him.

#14 ·
I contacted mine also had a place to check if I wanted a response, so I checked it. Needless to say I haven't got a response

#15 ·
Seriously folks, how stupid will you feel if these laws are passed and you didn't at least make your voice heard? Take a day off from work if you have to, but do it!

#22 ·
Just sent the following letters to my elected officials (so change my vote from "not yet but plan to" to "yes"):

Dear elected official,

Will you support or vote in favor of any legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment? Please reply with one of the following: "yes, I might support or vote in favor of legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment" or "no, I will never support or vote in favor of legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment". If I do not receive the latter of the two responses from you, I will assume your response is the former of the two responses.

If you support or vote in favor of legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment, I will lobby against you in all future elections.

Sincerely,

#23 ·
You should've added another option: "yes, but it won't do any good"

#24 ·
I wrote both my Senators and my Congressman. I also wrote my state Delegates and Senator. Things are going to get rough here in MD, and for any of you out there writing your reps, I hope you are not skipping your state-level representation. If your state pulls some amazingly stupid stunts with its gun laws then Feinstein's bill being shot down is going to be cold comfort.

#25 ·
Don't forget, you can also write directly to the Speaker of the House and the party Majority/minority Leaders in addition to your Representatives. Same for the Senate.

Keep your voices heard!

#27 ·
Yesterday I received a letter from Sen. Graham. "I believe that every law-abiding citizen has the right to possess firearms. Please be assured I will continue to fight to uphold the integrity of the Second Amendment." Too bad we don't have more in Congress with this determination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.