Contacting your Congressmen

This is a discussion on Contacting your Congressmen within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been doing a good bit of reading,(lurking), since joining the site and the knowledge available on many issues is outstanding due to the ...

View Poll Results: Have you contacted your reps?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 83.78%
  • No

3 4.05%
  • Not yet but plan to

4 5.41%
  • No it will not help

5 6.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Contacting your Congressmen

Contacting your Congressmen

I have been doing a good bit of reading,(lurking), since joining the site and the knowledge available on many issues is outstanding due to the members on this forum. I have just sent email correspondence to my US Congressmen regarding Senator Feinstein's proposed AWB. If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to make a difference. Also poke a few others whom you know to also participate. I challenge all you other lurkers, you know who you are, to get active.
    TX expat and pangloss9 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I contacted them but got form letters in reply. They don't represent me, they are already campaigning for the next election. I wish they cared as much for the country as they care for their re-election.
    bombthrower77 and pangloss9 like this.

I've contacted my senators and house rep, for what it's worth. One senator has a history of pro AWB the other senator is Rubio, and my congressman is a staunch supporter of gun rights, so I'm not expecting any suprises in their responses if I get one.
    pangloss9 likes this.

I haven't heard back yet from any of my legislator on the federal level yet. On the state level I have gotten back a pro-gun rights response from one of my reps, still waiting on the other two.

I see many people posting about their federal representatives, but don't forget your state reps too. Your state reps have the control over pesky things like 'gun free school zones'. Even if we do lose the federal battle with some form of an AWB, maybe we can hit back by expanding our ability to carry our concealed handgun in more places.
    pangloss9 likes this.

I have contacted all of my reps in TX. All have responded. Only one truly represents me. The other two are RINOs. They must be tired of me. I sometimes contact Reps outside of my district. It probably doesn't change anything, but I am doing it because I am still able to.
    pangloss9 likes this.

This may be the most important poll to ever appear on DC. We all need to be active in contacting our congressmen and even congressmen from other districts and states. Here is the link to the NRA-ILA's "Write Your Rep" website.

The percentages above is good, but the volume is totally inadequate. We need thousands/millions to contact their representatives ... not just a handful.
    pangloss9 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    The percentages above is good, but the volume is totally inadequate. We need thousands/millions to contact their representatives ... not just a handful.
    Very true! The NRA-ILA "Write Your Reps" website let you compose a single message and then sends it separately to each of your Senators, your U.S. Rep, and the President. Honestly, it takes less than five minutes to send four letters. That's less time than it takes to write some forum posts. There's no reason not to write.

Need to change my vote from "Not yet but plan to" to "Yes". I just contacted them.
    pangloss9 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I need to, both my US Senators are Dems. My problem is I'm a poor writer.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Need to change my vote from "Not yet but plan to" to "Yes". I just contacted them.
    Great news. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I need to, both my US Senators are Dems. My problem is I'm a poor writer.
    I basically said that Sandy Hooke was a terrible tragedy, that we all need to be concerned with violence, but that restricting law abiding citizens' access to currently legal firearms and mags won't help. As an alternative, I suggested strengthening reporting requirements for the National Instant Criminal Background Check system. Respectfully, Pangloss. Don't get too hung up on trying to be eloquent. I think this is more a numbers game than anything else. 10K poorly written but heartfelt letters will do a whole lot more good than 50 Pulitzer quality letters.

(As a side note, if all the available data had gotten to the instant check system, the VT shooter and the Tuscon shooter should not have been able to legally purchase firearms.)

VIP Member
    I have contacted my senator and my WI and US congressman. I used the telephone, emails and handwritten letters.
    I got a nice letter from Ron Johnson he just really said he agreed with me. I got nothing from my State rep Don Priedmore. NOTHING!!!!!
    and I get update emails from Jim Sensenbrenner.

I contacted mine also had a place to check if I wanted a response, so I checked it. Needless to say I haven't got a response
    pangloss9 likes this.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Seriously folks, how stupid will you feel if these laws are passed and you didn't at least make your voice heard? Take a day off from work if you have to, but do it!
    pangloss9 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links