Looking under the hood of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee

This is a discussion on Looking under the hood of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I understand things correctly, any gun control or crime bill moving through the U.S. House of Representatives will likely start in the judiciary committee, ...

Thread: Looking under the hood of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee

Looking under the hood of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee

If I understand things correctly, any gun control or crime bill moving through the U.S. House of Representatives will likely start in the judiciary committee, specifically the subcommittee on crime, terrorism, and homeland security. (However, it is possible for a bill to be referred to more than one committee.) Tonight I checked to see what I could learn about the committee chairs. Thank God that they are all rated A or A+ by the NRA. Rep. Lamar Smith of TX 21st district is the chairman of the judiciary committee. NRA gives him a A+. The crime subcommitte chairman is Jim Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin 5th district (NRA rating of A), and the co-chairman is Louis Gohmert of TX 1st district (NRA rating of A). We should write these guys and let them know that we appreciate their past support of gun owners' rights and urge them to remain true to these principles during the coming congress.

NOTE: I am posting this thread on other forums in hopes of getting as many people to write politicians.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The path through the House would be difficult for the bill. But Obama will use the bully pulpit of his office to push and push for the bill to be brought to the floor for a vote. It would be very difficult for the House leadership to just let the bill die in committee or to be amended into something else entirely. The committee may be able to keep some of the most dangerous language out of a bill but I'll be shocked if there isn't an up or down vote on another AWB. The question is how many of them will do the right thing and vote no.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    The path through the House would be difficult for the bill. But Obama will use the bully pulpit of his office to push and push for the bill to be brought to the floor for a vote. It would be very difficult for the House leadership to just let the bill die in committee or to be amended into something else entirely. The committee may be able to keep some of the most dangerous language out of a bill but I'll be shocked if there isn't an up or down vote on another AWB. The question is how many of them will do the right thing and vote no.
    I agree. That's why now is the time for the biggest grass roots effort we can muster. Most of the Republicans on the judiciary committee received ratings of 90%-100%, so our situation is far from hopeless. We need to do our part though.

Re: Looking under the hood of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee

I agree whole heartedly. We must act. We must write personal, thoughtful, individual letters to all of our representatives, and to those in committees.

But here's the rub for me... Those letters may never be seen, and, honestly, who counts them?

If you want a grass-roots groundswell of support, you've got to convince John Q. Public and his wife, Jane.

Some of those folks may not own a gun, many of them don't know the difference between select fire and semi automatic. None of them have ever heard a story about a woman who had to use a firearm to protect herself and her child.

All they have heard is about the madmen with "Assault Weapons" like those used in war. Used against innocent people... AND CHILDREN!

They need to hear about self defense firearms use. And they need to see that those who avoided becoming victims like those at Aurora, and Sandy Hook, and Clackamas mall... Were regular people like them... Who just happened to have a weapon with which to defend themselves and others.

Failing that, we will LOSE. I guarantee it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Rumors abound including out of a local business here in GA where a State of GA Congressman owns a "toy store" and his employees are saying that congress has the republican votes to pass a bill like this. Our only hope to prevent passage and inevitably a complete loss of the rest of our constitution or armed revolution would be to completely overload the phone lines of each of our state congress and senators letting them know to defeat this. If it is somehow by a miracle defeated it will not be the last attempt however we may buy ourselves another few years before they attempt it again but not without the government staging more events to cause the public opinion to sway.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    in theory how much could BO write in an Executive order??

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    in theory how much could BO write in an Executive order??
    I'm not sure. I know in the past this power has been used to limit importation of some items but I don't think it's ever been used to restrict the manufacture of domestic products. I could be wrong though. Whether you like Obama or not (probably not), he doesn't have a good track record of leadership. Generally he sits back and waits for Congress to come up with something. He pushed a little bit for health reform, but just yesterday I saw a clip of him saying that if there's one thing he learned about this congress, they'll use every second of time they have before they manage to get anything done. Today I ready an article about his priorities for his second term. He listed seven items, and gun control was the last of the bunch. Hopefully the list was in order of importance to him.

Links