Defensive Carry banner

Which Statement Best Describes Your Opinion of a Federal Ban of Gun-Free Zones?

• Ban GFZ's - modern killing fields. Where I have a legal right to be, my right to bear arms for self

Votes: 51 63.8%
  • Ban GFZ's except in legally authorized secure areas with adequate and trained staffing.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Keep GFZ's. The best consideration of security is unique to each site. And, besides, property righ

Votes: 0 0.0%

Can We Agree to Ban GFZ's?

1K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  sdprof 
#1 ·
The Washington Times published Ted Nugent's open letter to Joe Biden addressing the veep's role in President Obama's task force on gun violence in the wake of the Newtown rampage, running here. Here is a link to Uncle Ted's letter.
Nugent, "implores" Biden "to recommend that Congress pass a law to ban gun-free zones immediately."
Our forum membership has argued the merits of such a ban. Without further discussion that may bias the poll, I ask for your opinion and thoughts.

#2 ·
My vote is YES. "Gun Free Zones" are a microcosm of gun control itself, with the same devastating results. So where have there been mass shootings in recent memory?

Schools - Yep
Malls - Check
Military Bases - Uh-huh
Churches - Ditto

Police Stations - Nope
Gun Shows - Nada
Ranges - Nah (except suicides)

So I vote with a resounding YES.

#3 ·
I believe Uncle Ted hit the nail on the head. I'd support that 100%. I'd ask that we look into some kind of tax breaks for gun safe purchases as well, as this may help keep guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable, like the shooter in Connecticut. I need another gun safe, and if the fed wants to help me buy it, I'm all for it. :)

Reactions: remington79
#5 ·
I agree. What needs to happen is that civil liability needs to come into play for those who choose to not allow firearms on their property, should something happen. I get the whole, "you are free to not frequent that establishment", but the bottom line is that if you won't allow me to protect myself on your property, YOU become responsible for my safety. Simply posting a "No-Guns Allowed" sign doesn't really prevent a determined criminal. How many banks have been robbed while having the "No Guns Allowed" sign prominently posted on the front door?

Reactions: oakchas
#7 ·
"Responsibility" pales to "response ability".

Reactions: sdprof
#11 ·
If its a private home then its the home owners decision but it should be posted. If its a privately owned but public area like stores malls etc then different regs apply for everything else so I dont think gun free zones should be able to be established in privately owned but public areas such as those.

#15 ·
I'm trying to reflect the sentence about banning GFZ's from the source letter. You have a free slate. Your words expressing how and why you believe as you do are more valuable than the what you believe, in answering the poll, which is, in itself anonymous. It's anonymous because I want your true opinion. If you want to comment, please do.

#14 ·
Hummm. ironic from the comments..... in Kansas, you cannot post your home, there is no provision for private homes to post.

I don't necessarily agree with the private property argument, if you are implying privately owned public businesses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.