Asheville, NC City Councilman Wants to Ban Gun Shows in City

This is a discussion on Asheville, NC City Councilman Wants to Ban Gun Shows in City within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ashville, NC Asheville City Councilman Cecil Bothwell said Tuesday he wants to ban gun shows in the city because they break the law. Bothwell said ...

Thread: Asheville, NC City Councilman Wants to Ban Gun Shows in City

Ashville, NC Asheville City Councilman Cecil Bothwell said Tuesday he wants to ban gun shows in the city because they break the law.

Bothwell said the city's municipal code specifically prohibits the carrying of weapons on city-owned properties. He said both the Asheville Civic Center and the Western North Carolina Agricultural Center have been rented to gun show promoters in recent years, despite the rule.

"Many citizens have contacted council members asking for action in the wake of the Newtown school murders," Bothwell said. "The city has very little ability to regulate guns, permitting or background checks under North Carolina and United States law. However, we do have the power to enforce the laws that are on the books."

Section 12-42(a) of Asheville's City Ordinances reads:

"No person shall possess, use or carry any firearm, gun, rifle, pistol, air rifle, spring gun or compressed air rifle or pistol, or other similar device or weapon which impels or discharges with force any bullet, shot or pellet of any kind, including arrows with metallic tips or sharp tips of any nature, designated to penetrate and propel a bow or spring device, in any park or other city-owned facility. Further, no person shall possess, use or carry any knife, other than an ordinary pocket knife, which means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse and which has a cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle and that may not be opened by throwing, explosive or spring action, or a kitchen knife, when it is used or intended to be used for its ordinary purposes, in any park or other city-owned facility."

Bothwell said gun shows promote the ownership and use of assault-type weapons. He said the sellers at the shows are not required to perform background checks on buyers at the shows.

"That means that guns intended for rapid-fire killing may easily fall into the hands of persons who are mentally unstable or who have criminal intent," Bothwell said.

If I am not mistaken, this goes against NC state law. They are up for a hefty Law Suite if this is pushed forward.

Asheville is perhaps the most liberal city in the southeast. My sister lived there for several years and still lives near there. I think I visited her twice. I don't care for the place, and this gun show business comes as no surprise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MADMAC959 View Post

Bothwell said gun shows promote the ownership and use of assault-type weapons. He said the sellers at the shows are not required to perform background checks on buyers at the shows.
    I don't know what gun shows he is going to, but the ones I have been to in VA have been about 60% pistols, and the rest so called "assault-rifles," knives, ammo, and other shooting accessories.

As far as no BG check, I don't remember seeing any vendors at the last gun show I went to that wasn't performing a background check. If you are an FFL, you are required to perform a background check. I really hate it when even our own lawmakers don't have a freaking clue about what actually happens with things they want to ban.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

NCG
    What gun show is in Asheville city? The Mike Kent gun show is at the WNC AG center, and that's in Fletcher.

Re: Asheville, NC City Councilman Wants to Ban Gun Shows in City

Why let facts get in the way of a power grab, meant only to assuage the frets of the hand wringers?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Re: Asheville, NC City Councilman Wants to Ban Gun Shows in City

As I recall, Asheville didn't fare too well in the book One Second After ....

Maybe it was their aversion to defensive weapons?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

This comes from the home page of the The Western North Carolina Agricultural Center:

"The Western North Carolina Agricultural Center is owned by the STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA
    and operated by the NORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE & CONSUMER SERVICES."
    Maybe the Ashville city councilman needs new advisors.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

oh.... 40 yrs ago (?) ..... the City wanted to get heavy about guns, passed a 5 day waiting period when that was popular, etc. .... they had a very antigun Mayor and passed a whole lot of things. They made it nearly impossible for gun shows to do one in the city. I moved out of that city and refused to ever live in it again, although I live in a small town a few miles away.

So, they did them in some facilities in the County outside the city. The County didn't mind renting them use of the buildings for a show.

Fast forward, for about the last 20 yrs... the City has been trying to get gun shows "back in the city" ...... and no one will do it. The City tried all kinds of reasoning.... could get bigger crowds, less driving, etc. and so on..... NOPE ... no one is going to do it. The dealers told the sponsors they would not show up if it were done within the city. So, .... a guy came in and said they would "run the other guys" out of business by doing them in the city ...... after 4 shows..... and no one going to them (County ones are jam packed) .... they surrendered and said they would not do any more shows within the city limits and wouldn't be back. We applauded.

I also remember a nice smaller town, historical downtown, who had lots of shops, etc. and had a lot of business in the NE part of the USA. People on motorcycles loved to go there and were most of the traffic into the old historical section and bringing that business. Well, people started wanting to ban motorcycles, put in place very restrictive laws directed at motorcycles, and even publically put out they did NOT want motorcycles there anymore. They truly thought that it would "improve" the business and people coming there. Word gets out, and nearly everyone on motorcycles went on to other places where they were more welcome. Within 3 yrs...... the City reversed the laws and were crying to get motorcyclist back...... and 75% of the businesses had to close their doors due to lack of business. Everyone to the most part, still refuses to go there due to the treatment they got before.... 15 yrs later.

Economics, does work.

And, everyone has long memories.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsored Links