Boehner Will Either Resign Speakership Or Be Forced Out

This is a discussion on Boehner Will Either Resign Speakership Or Be Forced Out within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by xXxplosive Why must you threaten us every time we have a relavent discussion....read the OP's Title...please. This is posted in this Sub-Forum: ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Boehner Will Either Resign Speakership Or Be Forced Out

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Why must you threaten us every time we have a relavent discussion....read the OP's Title...please.
    This is posted in this Sub-Forum: The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion: Discussions of the Second Amendment, Federal State and local legislation related to our gun rights.

Seems clear to me

Forum Rule 9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics.

We're not adverse to discussions about 2A and guns as it might relate to politics..........but we don't want it to stray too far...............Does that help? I'm not trying to be a jerk.......
    rocky, Hopyard, msgt/ret and 5 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

We need a strong leader who is also pro 2nd amendment.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Speaker is the 3rd most powerful seat in the Executive and most powerful in the legislative... he has two forms of power. And absolute power corrupts absolutely hence him having to be forced out.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Man I'd love to see Newt Gingrich in there. Tough hide, smart and a Speaker us gun-owners could get behind. Since he doesn't have to be an actual representative.
    Navman likes this.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Not a chance that someone not in Congress gets the spot. People calling for Newt seem to forget he once held the job and everyone was screaming for his head at the end of his time in the big chair.

The article linked to this is misleading at best. They are asserting that if 17 Republicans don't vote for him and no Democrats vote for him he wouldn't have enough votes to be elected Speaker of the House. That part is true. But the story doesn't end there. If there is no majority they will vote again, and again, and again until someone receives a pure majority of votes cast. The thought is kind of like electing a pope. Eventually people voting for those receiving few votes will change their votes to one of the leading candidates. That will continue until someone gets enough votes to be elected. In reality you'd likely see Democrats come out behind Boehner after a couple rounds of voting and ensure he keeps his job. They know that one of their caucus will not receive enough votes to become Speaker. They would much rather have Boehner in the Speaker's seat than one of the tea party members that won't compromise on anything and would make sure the 113th Congress accomplished nothing at all. (I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to that myself... nothing means that at least they don't make things worse!)

The danger, and how this applies to us here is the other possibility with Democrat votes. They could form a coalition with the most centrist Republicans to elect a "RINO" (I hate that term, but it does describe the type well here) to lead the House. Under that type of setup gun control bills passed through the Senate would get a hearing on the floor. The committee chairs would be carefully selected to ensure that measures like that would receive no opposition on the way to the floor. Then we're in trouble- probably the only way they could actually get strong gun control measures to actually pass the House.

One final note, the Speaker is not the third most powerful person in the executive branch. He is high on the list of succession to the Presidency but is in no way a member of the Executive branch of government. He is one of the leading checks against the executive.
    Hopyard and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Paul Ryan's name has come up a lot as taking over the seat......
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Ryan is a great guy. I've known him for several years and was thrilled with Romney picked him as the VP candidate. I think he'd be a great Speaker, but with his vote on a certain bill late New Year's Day the same people that want to get rid of the current Speaker wouldn't want to support him. That's too bad because with him in the big chair I'd feel confident that we'd have no possibility of an anti-gun bill moving through the House for the next 2 years.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Either would be fine with me. My pet jellyfish has a stiffer spine. He has caved in on so many important issues already that I have ZERO trust he would stand up for our Second Amendment rights.
    rottkeeper likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Paul Ryan's name has come up a lot as taking over the seat......

After his vote on the fiscal cliff debacle, he has lost a lot of credibility in my book.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Boehner Will Either Resign Speakership Or Be Forced Out

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    After his vote on the fiscal cliff debacle, he has lost a lot of credibility in my book.
    Credibility is lost the day anyone is sworn into any office in DC.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    It appears that some Members of the forum are not happy with the job the Speaker has done or not done. Be careful for what you wish for, the speaker is very pro 2nd Amendment, and could be replaced by someone that is not. The speaker is nothing more than the chairman of a 435 member board made up of people from 435 districts across the U.S. with a population of about 710,000 residents in each. Each of these districts is represented by a person who is either a republican or a democrat, with a very wide range of needs and problems that may differ greatly from the other 434 districts. The speakers main responsibility is to attempt to address all issues at hand and lead the members to come to a consensus on each and then present their recommendations in bill form to the senate. Easier said then done. The speaker was correct when the house refused to pass the hurricane Sandy relief funds, the bill contained tens of millions of dollars for programs not faintly related to hurricane Sandy relief. Has the speaker caved in on any issues, no, he carried out the wishes of the majority of the members of the house. Just remember, a good quarterback is only as good as the members of the team? Just the way I see it.

Yes, someone other than a member of the house can be elected as the speaker, but IMO, I doubt it will ever be done.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not upset that the Republican "caved" as some claim as long as the Democrats now stand tall and cave their fair share to keep this country financially on track. But on the 2A? There needs no caving in there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lets see if Ted Nugent is interested.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

House chooses Boehner as Speaker again.

House chooses Boehner as speaker again | Reuters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post
    House chooses Boehner as Speaker again.

House chooses Boehner as speaker again | Reuters
    Can we get a well-deserved thread closed, since it is now a dead issue?
    Rock and Glock and Echo_Four like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links