It's Not the Gun they hate, its the Individual

This is a discussion on It's Not the Gun they hate, its the Individual within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun ownership is an anathema to everything a progressive believes. It symbolizes self reliance which they hate more than anything. Excellent discussion here: Gun Ownership ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: It's Not the Gun they hate, its the Individual

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

It's Not the Gun they hate, its the Individual

Gun ownership is an anathema to everything a progressive believes. It symbolizes self reliance which they hate more than anything. Excellent discussion here:

Gun Ownership and People Power
    Jeanlouise, MamaMaria and tdw63 like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

We truly IMO live in trying times........we'll see how it plays out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    We truly IMO live in trying times........we'll see how it plays out in the end.
    A cell phone provides the best self-defense!? Trying times indeed, especially when "phoning it in" and making someone other than yourself being responsible for your personal safety is considered self-defense. When did the English language change to Bizarro language. Did someone order "Opposite Day" forever?
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

It's not the individual they hate... they don't hate oakchas or capnketel, but they do not understand nor like individual rights. (and responsibility)

Actually, I would have no problem giving every citizen (legally able to own firearms) a working firearm with which to defend themselves... certainly better than a cel phone... and we did it before in foreign countries. we could do it here...

The FP45 Liberator, ca WWII:
    300px-M1942_liberator.jpg

Unit cost, at the time was about $3. Today, about $50, probably.

And I realize that we didn't actually provide that many of these liberators to resistance groups... the war was nearly over, IIRC.

The Swiss government provides all it citizens with actual assault rifles (well, by DiFi's definition, they would classify as assault weapons). And their crime rate is negligible.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Liberator wasn't intended for self defense, only to use to off a Nazi and take his weapons. A good idea that didn't amount to much.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The "Tin Man" of handguns.............ichhhhhh.

Damn, wonder how many other clueless dinosaurs are sitting on the Senile Court.

How did people like this get to the positions they are in? Is our society really willing to give up our individual rights and join the "collective"?
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

The libs just can't comprehend how someone could take care of themselves without the government.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    It's not the individual they hate... they don't hate oakchas or capnketel, but they do not understand nor like individual rights. (and responsibility)
    You're over thinking their position and giving them too much credit. To you, gun ownership is a right and a personal responsibility and you assume that their opposition to gun ownership is the antithesis of your views, but it is not. They do not see guns in terms of rights, and you are correct in that they don't understand gun ownership in terms of rights, but this does not mean that they do not understand or believe in individual rights and responsibilities, nor does it mean that they want a nanny state to take care of them. This is the stereotypical group mantra that gets us nowhere. Theirs is an irrational fear and an emotional response, centered around the tool which was designed to do one thing, kill, and that scares them. They can't tell the difference between you and the next Adam Lanza, and so the idea of you having a gun scares them. Consequently, they turn to the only societal security mechanism that they know and demand that things be fixed so that they don't have to be scared.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The Liberator wasn't intended for self defense, only to use to off a Nazi and take his weapons. A good idea that didn't amount to much.
    The "Tin Man" of handguns.............ichhhhhh.
    All true... but certainly as effective, and probably moreso, than a call to 911 and wait, while you're bleeding out.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Just dial 911; yep that'll do it. Just ask Carolyn Warren, Miriam Douglas, and Joan Taliaferro how well it works.

We as gun owners need to be careful about painting with such a large brush.
    I bet you hate it when you, as a gun owner, are painted with the same tactic,
    <I.E all gun owners are blood-thirsty rednecks that just want to shoot up a room of school kids>.
    That's the same logic, only reversed.

I am a progressive on alot of issues, but the 2nd Amendment isn't one of them.
    As I type this I am wearing a Springfield XDS w/2 spare mags, a can of Sabre Red
    & a Smith & Wesson SWATMB.
    I am also a Black Belt in Wing Chun.
    I bet that if you saw me on the street w/ a ponytail and a Pink Floyd tee on,
    You wouldn't look twice.
    Remember that when someone stereotypes and then attempts to base a broader conclusion on a sample
    argument all you accomplish is to alienate those that actually agree with you.
    The people that actually fit the stereotype won't be convinced anyway.

Bash away....

Fin

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    How did people like this get to the positions they are in? Is our society really willing to give up our individual rights and join the "collective"?

You elected them...........didn't you know that ?

You elected them...........didn't you know that ?
    I didn't .
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links