It'll never happen

This is a discussion on It'll never happen within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; During a discussion of the anti-gun attitude sweeping our political environment, my son (28 yrs old) mentioned a word I am hearing way too often ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: It'll never happen

It'll never happen

During a discussion of the anti-gun attitude sweeping our political environment, my son (28 yrs old) mentioned a word I am hearing way too often lately...Revolution. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it. I believe it was Thomas Jefferson that said, "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government, " but who will fight it? I asked my son, "Are you prepared to give up your family, your home, TV, video games, all of your comforts and belongings to go sleep on the ground in the cold and fight and perhaps die for your rights?" He just stared at me. "That's what I thought." He then tried to weakly argue that if enough of his friends went to fight then he would too. Bah!!! I don't believe it. I told him, "Son, wars are not fought by men my age. They are fought by men like you, and I don't see enough of your generation getting off their asses long enough to cut the grass, let alone fight a revolution. We've become too soft. Principles have taken a back seat to comfort. I don't believe a word of it until I see it. The majority of your generation doesn't believe in anything that doesn't benefit you and your own selfish wants. And most of your friends don't understand anything that doesn't have to do with the latest electronic gadget."

I will say that I believe there are some who would stand and defend their rights. But I do not believe there will be enough. The greatest generation, and believing in something bigger than ourselves, is a thing of the past in this country. We are selfish and lazy. The proof of that is that 11 states currently have more people on government support than there are working to support them. Far too many people in our country believe that the government owes them a living for no other reason than because they want it to be that way. No, my friends, I believe we have gone way too far to ever see something like a revolution. It saddens me greatly to see our once great nation dying from the inside out.

[/soap box]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    During a discussion of the anti-gun attitude sweeping our political environment, my son (28 yrs old) mentioned a word I am hearing way too often lately...Revolution. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it. I believe it was Thomas Jefferson that said, "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government, " but who will fight it? I asked my son, "Are you prepared to give up your family, your home, TV, video games, all of your comforts and belongings to go sleep on the ground in the cold and fight and perhaps die for your rights?" He just stared at me. "That's what I thought." He then tried to weakly argue that if enough of his friends went to fight then he would too. Bah!!! I don't believe it. I told him, "Son, wars are not fought by men my age. They are fought by men like you, and I don't see enough of your generation getting off their asses long enough to cut the grass, let alone fight a revolution. We've become too soft. Principles have taken a back seat to comfort. I don't believe a word of it until I see it. The majority of your generation doesn't believe in anything that doesn't benefit you and your own selfish wants. And most of your friends don't understand anything that doesn't have to do with the latest electronic gadget."

I will say that I believe there are some who would stand and defend their rights. But I do not believe there will be enough. The greatest generation, and believing in something bigger than ourselves, is a thing of the past in this country. We are selfish and lazy. The proof of that is that 11 states currently have more people on government support than there are working to support them. Far too many people in our country believe that the government owes them a living for no other reason than because they want it to be that way. No, my friends, I believe we have gone way too far to ever see something like a revolution. It saddens me greatly to see our once great nation dying from the inside out.

[/soap box]
    There is actually a pretty good chunk of our generation enlisted in the military doing quite a bit more than cutting the grass.

Wasn't that their plan............"from the inside out"........out numbering us by birth rate and immigration........you can thank the Clintons.
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Revolution--isn't that a new TV program?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

[/soap box]

Although I am 10yrs older than your son I would have to agree with you. I have given this a lot of thought recently. If there was an established group with strong leadership and decent numbers I believe there might be a chance that Patriots would answer the call. Just my opinion.

I tend to agree with OP...and OldVet! Likely, the only "Revolution" this country will see is on TV. The problem with ROON's comment is in numbers....approximately 1,000,000 active duty military in US, untold millions of gun owners in US, mostly my age or older. Over 600,000 gun owners in my state alone. I would truly hate to see the breakdown of our nation turn to revolution because most of the fight has already been taken from the
    masses.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

We are still in the "vote them out of office" phase. When the food supply dwindles and the 24/7 electricity stops, IE when people can no longer provide the basic needs for their families the 2nd amendment will kick in with every able-bodied person. That's if the 2nd amendment still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Wasn't that their plan............"from the inside out"........out numbering us by birth rate and immigration........you can thank the Clintons.
    I don't get it.

Who's plan?

Are you saying it's "us" against...them?

Who exactly is "us" ?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Sig35seven, there are two groups of people, those that are in the wagon and those that pull the wagon. It's unfortunate that those in the wagon feel it is to "their" best interest to take as much as "they" can from those that pull. The argument is then presented, "Well why don't we pullers get in too?". Easy answer, NO ROOM!
    ErnieNWillis and Jeanlouise like this.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

As hard as places like Syria and Egypt and North Korea try, they can not stop today's social media outlets

So it may not be televised but it will be in The Tweeted Times

Skip ahead to ( :26 )

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    Sig35seven, there are two groups of people, those that are in the wagon and those that pull the wagon. It's unfortunate that those in the wagon feel it is to "their" best interest to take as much as "they" can from those that pull. The argument is then presented, "Well why don't we pullers get in too?". Easy answer, NO ROOM!
    So the "plan" that was devised (Clintons) was to get as many people as possible to ride in the wagon through "increased birth rate" and "immigration" ? Is this why the rich people (the pullers) are getting even richer? Since the rich are doing even better why would they want to stop pulling and get in the wagon?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Never say Never
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

I am 29, and as much as I agree that my generation, and the generation after mine is much softer...that does not mean that there is not a large percentage of patriots among us. I dont have any statistics but what I know for a fact is that I will fight for what's right, and ill fight for that piece of paper I swore to protect when I enlisted...and I hope I don't stand alone.

VIP Member

[/soap box]
    I laughed at the first part of your rant. Bunch of pansies too lazy to fight a revolution. In my day, we had half the country protesting in the streets. And we walked five miles in the snow, uphill both ways, to get to the protest.
    The above quote, however, is quite salient in identifying a real problem. First, there never was a golden age of the USA. Our forefathers framed the greatest facility for redressing grievance.
    There are times that the people have to lead energetically. For example, the Civil Rights movement showed the glaring weakness of government to do the right thing while reactionary voters held the majority on the floor of the national debate. We go through growing pains, but the country is better for it.
    Second, most of this stuff that we do has never been done before. In a sense, we are in the velvet revolution - yet most radical experiment. But we take the rational course as evidenced by our stature as the traditional and sole world power and model of government for all civilized nations.
    Our founders were a diverse bunch with a lot of discord. But they were able to codify bloody revolution as a last resort. So the peasants have a voice in government.
    Later, Bastiat, Hayek, and others warned that, when they realized that they could vote themselves an easy life, that's just what they'd do.
    Congress and the president are fighting the battle of the debt ceiling having brokered a rickety bridge over the fiscal cliff. I think that we all realize that $16.394T is a long way down. Our leaders are playing to those who have their eyes on easy money and passing laws to take from the rich and give to the poor. So down is up. It's not debt. It's a debt "ceiling".
    Will it stop? One way or another. Will it be Les Miserables vs. Red Dawn? Well, one side is already lined up and ready to dominate the field.
    My dad fought in Italy in WWII. I liked camping as a kid. My dad, a constant mover for the best that he could be for himself and others, wouldn't sleep in a tent, preferring his travel trailer. I don't consider him lazy. Just rational.
    Regoria75 likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Sig35Seven............your a smart guy......you get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links