What the politicians AREN'T addressing (but I wish they would)

This is a discussion on What the politicians AREN'T addressing (but I wish they would) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did a search, and couldn't find this issue...if it is already under discussion, please link and close this. With all of the issues under ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 9 Post By Glock30SF
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 3 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 1 Post By Clodbert

Thread: What the politicians AREN'T addressing (but I wish they would)

cj [OP]

What the politicians AREN'T addressing (but I wish they would)

I did a search, and couldn't find this issue...if it is already under discussion, please link and close this.

With all of the issues under discussion resulting from recent tragedies caused by mentally ill individuals, the focus, as we well know, it largely on the tools, and very little on prevention. There have been a few voices drowned out in the calls for bans, prohibitions, background checks, etc., etc., but none address my actual concern.

Ok, lets say that somehow these rules and regulations DO somehow prevent a suicidal person with no regard for the law from obtaining something illegal...it still does nothing to address the issue that our media, and the media around the world, is blasting everyone with just how useless our system is at protecting ourselves.

Imagine 9/11 where, instead of crashing planes into buildings, each man spread across the country targeting a different school, walking in, and shooting. Or movie theater. Or any other area where they know the likelihood of being stopped within the first few minutes is small...and even if they are stopped, there's a bunch of other guys in different places doing the same thing. Or variants of this...picking locations furthest from law enforcement...or hitting all the schools in one community to overwhelm any possible law enforcement responses. The tactic is really not that far off from the 2008 Mumbai attacks. Yet how many of the proposals getting press could even begin to address such an attack?

So far, I've only heard the NRA and a few other individuals discussing anything that might remotely be of any help in such a situation, but as the parent of a young child, I'd prefer to use the recent experiences as an emphasis on our need for improved security rather than another excuse to pursue unproven traditional agendas.

2. Remove Ads

That is because these "discussions" have NOTHING to do with KIDS or ANYONE'S safety! All they want to do is move forward on a eventual TOTAL ban on firearms. Then they can stop pretending and really start DICTATING!! Look at history!! This is how it is ALWAYS done!!! WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

The tragedies are only a catalyst for the Anti-2A to attempt to seize control. As G30SF states, it's not about preventing another tragedy.
    zacii likes this.

cj [OP]
    I agree with the first few comments, and sort of took it as a given. But what I'm trying to drive at is the scenario that actually does scare me. I've already written my congresscritters, but one voice isn't enough...I'm not just concerned with asking them to not pass useless laws, but to address the real massive exposure these incidents are revealing to our enemies.

VIP Member
    The OP is describing what has long been described in jihadist dogma as the "perfect day". Dave Grossman talks about it here:
    The 'perfect day' and our terrorist opponents' possible plans
    msgt/ret, DC and cj like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The terrorists won't be able to do anything without assault weapons that have been banned.
    will they?

Oh, gee... i didn't think about that... oh... well it's too late now... darn it.

The above was brought to you by a hunter who sees no need for more than 3 rounds, after all that's all he can use on his duck hunt.
    And Sally, down the road, who thinks we're all just vigilantes... and she'll be glad to see al the guns go away...

And the LEO... the one who thinks only he and his kind should have guns... (They're out there, folks... a few of 'em, anyway).
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

cj [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The OP is describing what has long been described in jihadist dogma as the "perfect day". Dave Grossman talks about it here:
    The 'perfect day' and our terrorist opponents' possible plans
    Holy cow. That's on a scale much larger than I was imagining...and my version would bring our country to its knees for months. Thanks for the insight there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hitting everywhere and overwhelming security forces . . . Sounds a bit like the Tet Offensive. And we all know what an impact that had. Well those of that time and those who've studied history at least.
    msgt/ret and archer51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    That is because these "discussions" have NOTHING to do with KIDS or ANYONE'S safety! All they want to do is move forward on a eventual TOTAL ban on firearms. Then they can stop pretending and really start DICTATING!! Look at history!! This is how it is ALWAYS done!!! WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!
    Read this^^^^^^^^^again.

join or die.jpg
    Happypuppy likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member
    I agree. Basically, government is supposed to insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity - not take our guns or infringe on our right of self-defense. The losers are making a lot of noise.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    YUP. An armed populace cannot be easily subjugated. Unfortunately, I don't think that they are stupid. I think that they know EXACTLY what they are doing.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

The government can't protect us from everything. And more importantly, they shouldn't.
    Doghandler likes this.

Links