Biden ‘Guaranteed’ Obama Will Pass Major Gun Control Reform by End of January

This is a discussion on Biden ‘Guaranteed’ Obama Will Pass Major Gun Control Reform by End of January within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by phreddy Obama has been for gun control as long as he has been in politics. His brief respite in his first term ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Biden ‘Guaranteed’ Obama Will Pass Major Gun Control Reform by End of January

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Obama has been for gun control as long as he has been in politics. His brief respite in his first term was all about getting re-elected.

I can say Romney wouldn't have done the same thing. He would still have had the option to run for another term if he had won this one and he would absolutely have needed conservatives to get re-elected.

I am not saying this because of my political views but because of my understanding of the nature of politcal ambition.
    Are you saying Romney wouldn't have gone for any gun control against the demands from the public to ban assault weapons?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Reagan, the poster boy for the Brady campaign.

It was Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, "prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street." The law was aimed at stopping the Black Panthers, but affected all gun owners.

Twenty-four years later, Reagan was still pushing gun control. "I support the Brady Bill," he said in a March 28, 1991 speech, "and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay."
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member
    What's left of the Brady Bill is NICS background checks. So Reagan is including himself in needing more personal accountability. The problem that we have is the blind are leading the blind with no moral backbone to stand and say what's right. That, yes, society has room to grow, but that banning or limiting assault weapons for the purpose of political expediency isn't going to bar rampages by lunatics. It's a bit like the Jim Crow era with gun owners getting distanced from the Constitution because too few are considering the individual and trying to apply collectivism to keep or to put us down.
    Last edited by Pistology; January 4th, 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: NRA didn't back the Brady Bill
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Obama has been for gun control as long as he has been in politics. His brief respite in his first term was all about getting re-elected.
    I can say Romney wouldn't have done the same thing. He would still have had the option to run for another term if he had won this one and he would absolutely have needed conservatives to get re-elected.
    I am not saying this because of my political views but because of my understanding of the nature of politcal ambition.
    Do you need to be reminded that Romney signed the permanent ban in MA and said that he would do so for the nation given the opportunity? Besides, if he were President, the Senate would be anti-gun, Romney would be anti-gun, and the House would be pressured to go along with the President. We would be in a worse position. While Obama personally doesn't have to worry about re-election, his party certainly does and they also have to worry about retaining control of the Senate and their desire to gain leverage in the house.

There is also the issue that many people say that they will remember in November, but yet how many will, really. How many will vote for the candidate that puts an R before their name irrespective of how they represent the issues?
    pittypat21 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Are you saying Romney wouldn't have gone for any gun control against the demands from the public to ban assault weapons?
    Yes, I am saying exactly that. In his first term, he would not vote for any gun control just as Pres Obama did not.

Which demands from the public are you talking about? When I look at multiple polls, I see many mixed opinions.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Do you need to be reminded that Romney signed the permanent ban in MA and said that he would do so for the nation given the opportunity? Besides, if he were President, the Senate would be anti-gun, Romney would be anti-gun, and the House would be pressured to go along with the President. We would be in a worse position. While Obama personally doesn't have to worry about re-election, his party certainly does and they also have to worry about retaining control of the Senate and their desire to gain leverage in the house.

There is also the issue that many people say that they will remember in November, but yet how many will, really. How many will vote for the candidate that puts an R before their name irrespective of how they represent the issues?
    At the time Romney was Governor of a very liberal state. He did what he thought was in the best interest of his politcal ambitions. As President, he would have relied on a completely different demographic of voters.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Biden ‘Guaranteed’ Obama Will Pass Major Gun Control Reform by End of January

If presidents were free to do as they please without repercussion, I doubt that many would ever see a 2nd term. I don't think this would have made a difference.

VIP Member
    At the time Romney was Governor of a very liberal state. He did what he thought was in the best interest of his politcal ambitions. As President, he would have relied on a completely different demographic of voters.
    If frogs had wings...

VIP Member
    So much for the guarantee this third day of February.

If their intent was to keep guns out of the American people's hands,,,, IT ANIT WORKING,,,,
    sold more guns in the last two months than the rest of the year put together.
    The guns shops wish he would wait to make ANOTHER STATEMENT until after they
    get their next shipments.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links